Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queensland Red Throat Emporer Fishery = Healthy

Exclamation Queensland Red Throat Emporer Fishery = Healthy

For those keen on the latest info / study :- http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/...ort%202020.pdf

It basically states RTEs in all areas off Qld are more than sustainable at the current rates and this has been due to the introduction of various management arrangements over the past years, 2004 being notable.

No matter your thoughts on this, it is the best " available " data to conduct these types of studies and produce the outcome.

Some good news for Qld's CRFF fishery.

A screen shot attached..... as document is 55 pages long, but a good read.

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 01-10-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Queensland Red Throat Emporer Fishery = Healthy

Thanks Phill that's interesting. So we are sitting 12% over the target minimum. Do you know where we can get some more details to learn more about this 20:60:60 Control rule?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

So an increase in rec bag limits is on the cards ...... I mean if the data showed it was not sustainable we would decrease bag limits so it stands to reason that if the stock is in good condition then we could increase bag limits ....

you love those data models where you can change all the data inputs and always get the same answer very reliable the models always giving consistant answers to problems that don't exist.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    So an increase in rec bag limits is on the cards ...... I mean if the data showed it was not sustainable we would decrease bag limits so it stands to reason that if the stock is in good condition then we could increase bag limits ....

you love those data models where you can change all the data inputs and always get the same answer very reliable the models always giving consistant answers to problems that don't exist.

BigE
    Well that’s exactly right. Their target it to stay at 60% of virgin biomass so an increase in bag limit should be on the cards.

BigE
    Note that Phil mentioned available data, it's all we have, there has to be a line drawn in the sand as a reference, also mentioned, this healthy species I'd due to current bag and size limits, it would seem foolish to allow a bigger bag that "could" bring the species into danger, so an increase is not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Note that Phil mentioned available data, it's all we have, there has to be a line drawn in the sand as a reference, also mentioned, this healthy species I'd due to current bag and size limits, it would seem foolish to allow a bigger bag that "could" bring the species into danger, so an increase is not likely.
    I'm genuinely shocked ....... it could be possible that restrictions are a one way street reguardless of the data, guess the precautionary princible only goes one way eh?

BigE

I'm genuinely shocked ....... it could be possible that restrictions are a one way street reguardless of the data, guess the precautionary princible only goes one way eh?

BigE
    I am not against you on this, but as it stands, taking a "leave it as it is" stand might be the best long term option.

If nsw is anything to go by they'll up the legal limits as the mass grows

Look here in nsw king fish were almost wiped out by trawlers the trawlers were banned in some locations and the king fish bounced back around that 2005-2010

Size limit back than was 60cm and over fast forward 2019-2020 king fish are in plauge proportions i have been out on 2 occassions where between 4 of us we have boated over 100 rat king fish in a mornings fish

What we got in return with the fish in plauges were bigger legal limits 65cm and bag limits

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    If nsw is anything to go by they'll up the legal limits as the mass grows

Look here in nsw king fish were almost wiped out by trawlers the trawlers were banned in some locations and the king fish bounced back around that 2005-2010

Size limit back than was 60cm and over fast forward 2019-2020 king fish are in plauge proportions i have been out on 2 occassions where between 4 of us we have boated over 100 rat king fish in a mornings fish

What we got in return with the fish in plauges were bigger legal limits 65cm and bag limits

I think you mean fish traps. No trawler moves fast enough to catch kings.

Yep, big floating traps were used for Kingfish, I'm not fully convinced they caused the demise of Kingfish (certainly didn't help) but they have been banned for years and you're still hard pressed to catch a legal Kingfish these days, looking back to the "old days" Kingfish were almost a pest, they had little commercial value and rec anglers rarely kept them because "you can't eat them, there're rubbish" sometime around the early 70s that changed, jigging hit the scene and boat loads were landed and sold on the black market by rec anglers, and pros made a good living, Kingfish started to decline, then trapping hit the scene (almost by accident) this, combined with growing numbers of rec boats just finished off what was left. (In my opinion)

pppppppppppppppppppp

Not me Col that was Noels post

I have never eatin a fish i've caught im a very concous kind of guy i cant eat somethibg that was once looking at me

I bring the fish home for family my niece loves fish one time bought home a 70cm port kembla kingy my sister didnt know how to fit it in the oven haha

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Gazza, If you think Kingfish is rubbish eating, you aint eatin it right Bud.
    Many ways I've eaten it, but my favourite, is to cut into cubes, leave soaking overnite in a lemon/ onion touch of chilli based marinate, this actually partially cooks the fish. Remove from fridge next day, pan fry, on super hot skillet, for no more than a minute on two sides............Mothers milk Gazza. I have 2 or 3 other ways of cooking kingfish, but that is my favourite......

Col
    Col - Unfortunately the further north you go the softer and mushier the flesh is, up here in Qld I don't know of anyone who keeps after their first time. But then again there a re a lot of tailor enthusiasts (good red emperor of Jew bait in MHO)so I guess it takes all kinds.

Yep, guys, I think the best we can hope so is the " status quo " on RTE.

Using the best data available is not going to sit well with some, but it's all we have.

Until such time of ALL rec anglers keep a log, we will have to accept the data from FQ.

In an ideal world we would know the virgin bio-mass, recreational take, recruitment etc etc... but we never will.

Kingies, yep... some here in Qld turn to mush once they hit the pan, but not all... it's pot luck.

SO, do what I do... stick to the " other Kingie "....... Black Kingfish.... mmmmmm Cobia... yummo.

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

..... ......