Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Queensland Red Throat Emporer Fishery = Healthy

Re: Queensland Red Throat Emporer Fishery = Healthy

Looks like QLD fisho's already have things leaning there way going by these two links

http://rules.fish.wa.gov.au/Species/Index/75

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fish-iden...throat-emperor

Qld has a higher minimum size than WA but u can harvest more bigger fish they may bump up the size and lower the bag limits depending on what size and age the fish spawn going by the sizes in WA looks like they possibly breed young

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

It's a bit tricky to compare states when it comes to size and bag limits, the upper north coast of WA (where this species is caught) would have a tiny population compared to QLD, so fishing pressure would be way less, different bag limits and size limits depends on different localities, taking into consideration biomass and fishing sustainability, how these limits are arrived at varies according to local data.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It's a bit tricky to compare states when it comes to size and bag limits, the upper north coast of WA (where this species is caught) would have a tiny population compared to QLD, so fishing pressure would be way less, different bag limits and size limits depends on different localities, taking into consideration biomass and fishing sustainability, how these limits are arrived at varies according to local data.
    Yep "Oils aint Oils" as old Sol used to say. I had an article about flathead and the difference between fish maturing sizes for SE Qld and Central Coast NSW was quite different which is why different rules for different states. Often a fair bit of searching required to identify this and why so many people often complain about the rules without knowing the background.

Fisheries has always been a contentious issue, bag limits too small, size limits too big or whatever, and in a really twisted way, we are our own worst enemies, rec anglers dispute every bit of data supplied, yet will whinge and say how we won't supply catch rate data, all "scientists" have to go is pro catch, legally sold through government markets, and research, how that data is used, or how the research is done is a never ending battle, but that's all they have.

Just as an example, my local lake (Lake Illawarra) was in recent years discovered to contain a healthy Cockle number (Cockles are kind of like a Pippi with a ribbed shell) and they are pretty good eating, they have been in the lake forever, but about a year ago, someone discovered them and entire families descended on the lake, getting bucket loads of them, so much so, that the bag limit for Lake Illawarra was reduced from 50 to only 20, and there was an uproar, people were fined for exceeding their limit by thousands, but the numbers taken is still enormous, families from as far as Sydney descend on the lake with big buckets and get loads of them, and there's not enough inspectors to catch them, each family might include mum, dad, a couple of kids, granddad and cousins! The locals are now calling for a total ban on taking them at all, and they might succeed, simply because of this relentless pillaging, I know where there is a decent number of Razor Clams/Fish, those big triangle shaped Oyster things, but, so far it seems no one else has found them.

Just as an example, my local lake (Lake Illawarra) was in recent years discovered to contain a healthy Cockle number (Cockles are kind of like a Pippi with a ribbed shell) and they are pretty good eating, they have been in the lake forever, but about a year ago, someone discovered them and entire families descended on the lake, getting bucket loads of them, so much so, that the bag limit for Lake Illawarra was reduced from 50 to only 20, and there was an uproar, people were fined for exceeding their limit by thousands, but the numbers taken is still enormous, families from as far as Sydney descend on the lake with big buckets and get loads of them, and there's not enough inspectors to catch them, each family might include mum, dad, a couple of kids, granddad and cousins! The locals are now calling for a total ban on taking them at all, and they might succeed, simply because of this relentless pillaging, I know where there is a decent number of Razor Clams/Fish, those big triangle shaped Oyster things, but, so far it seems no one else has found them.
    I heard about the petition for those pippis on a facebook fishing group they have been smashing that area of lake illawarra since the start of the year from what i have read and yeah the locals are really pissed

A lot of sydney goes north and south fishing i donno why inspectors are not populated in those regions surely fisheries is updated quiet frequently

I have never been approached by fisheries up or down the coast only ever in sydney

As for the RTE i always thought one species always spawns at a certain age or size no matter its location i thought it was a genetic thing

There is only 2 inspectors from somewhere like the Shoalhaven river right up to Sutherland, so it's a huge area to cover. Lake Illawarra Cockle poachers are just blip on their radar I guess, mind you, the fisheries office is only a couple of hundred metres down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    As for the RTE i always thought one species always spawns at a certain age or size no matter its location i thought it was a genetic thing

Even the humble snapper has a variation in growth and spawing age the further south you travel from qld.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

Research tells us many things about fish and the varying species.

Environment, water temp, pollution, climate and habitat all play a part in spawning.......... as well as size.. and that size is between x and y, nothing set in stone.... as some fish will grow longer and quicker than others at same ages.

As a side issue, Flathead in Qld have a slot limit with ones over 75cms to be released back for " breeding purposes". Very specific science from a few years ago, show that Flathead ( like most species ) stop breeding at a certain age ( size ).......... it really means they are like humans... once they reach a certain age their eggs will not become fertile, despite their breeding activity. But we can't have 2 slot limits for each species.

Again, it is stated that Snapper in Qld have a recruitment of less than 5% in the wild and also if wild stocking were to occur, that same recruitment levels would be achieved or there abouts. So why do we not wild stock Snapper ? Govt types believe it is " not viable ". meaning no funding....... despite the clear evidence of the economic benefit to Qld of recreational fishing.

Anyway, back on track.

Policing of policy / rules is all good and well, but how about the clowns just " do the right thing " ?????

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Doing the right thing is a much bigger issue than fisheries management, there is always a group that don't abide by rules and just take what they want when they want, it's never ending.

Doing the right thing is a much bigger issue than fisheries management, there is always a group that don't abide by rules and just take what they want when they want, it's never ending.
    See it all the time and its done right in front of the publics eyes, botany bay sees quiet a few people taking undersize fish and its often questioned in the cleaning cage/table some guys just shrug it off than u get the abusive ones that go off over u telling them there fish are undersize

Cleaning table not a place to argue really..