Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techo stuff NBN and 5G Wireless

Re: Techo stuff NBN and 5G Wireless

Hey, Noelm

An car antenna is still the case once u get off the h'way or out of town here (even now) although the handsets fit in your pocket. Using h/sets in a car is like trying to transmit from the inside of a tin can.

There's a lot to be said for 5G. It's a system flexible enough to be tailor-made for various circumstances. It utilises existing technology, extends the concept of 3g and 4g (particularly in the top end of 4g - LTE as its known) and then introduces high 5G (mmWave) in the 26 - 28 ghz range.

The impact of high 5G (mmWave as its known) will be most felt in metro areas where the concept of mini-cells will be best utilised in providing high signal strengths into areas that need it for high speed data transfer. That means that regional areas which deal with metro areas will also need it (like say Rocky, Townsville, T'woomba, Mackay, Cairns, Bundy, M'boro) will also need similar access speeds.

To maximise baud rate exchange, you need max bandwidth and to lower the bit error rate (BER) you need max signal strength. Mini-cells will do that. Good thinking.

In and around metro areas are ideal places where high5G mini-cells can be installed.

The towers nominated as Macro-cells are simply lower frequency ones which travel better than high5G ones. The telco promoters talk of coverages of "hundreds of square miles" for those macro cells/towers as if it was something amazing and innovative. Its not. A single normal cell tower capable of a range of 40km has a coverage area of over 600 sq miles anyway. Great advertising claim though.

Good thinking finished here.

High 5G cells installed at nodes to replace the old telstra twisted pair copper cables to residences (and to avoid cable to the premises costs) won't work because of the low signal strengths at suburban residences that the cells can achieve. It'll work in some places where there are short distances, few trees and no hills. But not in others. Even lower frequencies like 3 ghz will still run into trouble even though they are more tolerant of foliage and obstacles losses.

I put the free space loss figures for the 3 types of 5G in that first installment. That's without obstacle, foliage losses etc.

Fibre optic cable losses are nothing like that even though they're operating at much higher frequencies within the visible light spectrum.

There is also another very good reason that 5G will be under serious scrutiny in FTTN areas. I'll come to it later.

Its a technical area where everybody seems to be an expert. Mostly they're just confidently wrong. Not all but most.

You have to watch for the flaws in the basics that they use a throwaway jargon. Usually they know the industry jargon but don't have a fundamental grounding in how this stuff works. That's where the confusion originates.

There was a throwaway line on the other thread along the lines of wireless outperforming fibre optic cable that rang my alarm bells.

You're in the industry, are you?

ron

I have that hard wired phone mount in my car from the early days LOL

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Hi Gaz

If you want to get the best out of a mobile phone in your vehicle then you need an external antenna. No external antenna might be OK for the metro areas which are favoured by the telco service providers by having base stations scattered all over the place , but if you live outside the metro areas you get bugger all base station coverage except along the main highways and cells in larger regional towns.

Sometimes if you're blessed with some signal from a far away base station cell, a small community can put in a passive repeater to give a bit of local coverage. Stanage Bay has one. No mobile phone coverage but a passive repeater that gives a bit of limited service to the outside world if you are between the boat ramp and the shop (about 500m).

Talk about metro areas and s/e Qld being spoilt rotten with services.

You go off those highways or away from those larger regional areas and see how much coverage you have.

You probably saw that comment by the guy who thinks that people who are saddled with fibre optic to the node are whingers looking for something for nothing.

Absolutely no idea just how the architecture of the NBN FTTN works. Reckon he must have worked for Malcom Turnbull who saddled regional Aus with it.

He apparently thought that the NBN FTTN brought fibre optic cable to the cable box on the footpath outside your house and that if anybody commented adversely on it, they were simply whingers looking for somebody else to put fibre optic from the nearby cable pit across the property boundary to their house.

And this guy has the temerity to call somebody who lives in the real world (obviously a world completely different to the Camelot that he he lives in) a "tool".

Yeah my car has a antenna but its wired to the old phone base inside the middle arm rest console as the car was a ex commercial car but the old phone was taking out at some point

I get pretty good reception around Sydney and regional areas of nsw my phone has worked out as far as Cooma, Cowra, all the way up to Brisbane, as far south as Ulladulla, down to Canberra and Tumut

Vodafone is pretty good

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Been out of commission for a week.

Within a day or 2 will put up some info to show how some of the basic technical planning for wireless/radiocommunication links works.

It ain't rocket science. Simply addition and subtraction.

Planning for mobile phone coverage is one of the best known applications of its use AND it's applied to different networks.

Bit of very basic techo planning info about wireless coverage on 5G mm Wave small cell frequencies.

There are many circumstance where 5G mm small cell stuff will certainly enhance existing networks (CBD, high rise, high population density etc) but it sure ain't an answer to solving the issue of fibre to the node (FTTN) out in the suburbs and regional areas.

Apart from propagation issues of the wireless signal, the existing fibre-optic cable network will have to be extended to each of the small cells to provide "back haul". New/extra f/o cable will be running past a lot of the very houses that the 5G wireless is attempting to service anyway. Makes no sense in those circumstances.

Anyway, that's my view about replacing FTTN with 5G mm Wave small cell technology. I'll leave it there.

If anybody wants to know a bit more about wireless basics, yell out,

The basics don't change but tend to get overlooked in the enthusiasm associated with technological innovation. Learning the industry jargon but not the technical basics can lead to fairyland outcomes sometimes.

You guys are all much better with using the various applications (apps) or programs associated with media stuff and usage of the technology. But that stuff has to be developed and bedded down on solid technical foundations to ensure that its fit for purpose.

Attachment 122386