Thread: ID of old Southam blank

ID of old Southam blank

Hi all,
    I’m gradually working through the arsenal and completely rebuilding all my old rods. Almost finished a Super Barra rebuild which is looking good but yesterday I stripped down my oldest rod which my grandfather gave me in the early 70s.

It was a Southam spinning rod, brown in colour about 5’6” with cork grips and a chrome brass reel seat with twin nuts. It was quite used when I got it so replaced the guides early on and used it for quite a few years. After going back to bare blank yesterday I see the model? number IC308 on the bottom of the blank. Blank is sanded and you can see internal spiral of the fibreglass. Any clues? It’s no dealbreaker just personal interest.
    Many thanks rodbuilders for your time
    Mike

Re: ID of old Southam blank

Its from a old fishing company by the looks of it I googled Southam and came up with the austrailan fishing museum have a google and have a read.

Re: ID of old Southam blank

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Its from a old fishing company by the looks of it I googled Southam and came up with the austrailan fishing museum have a google and have a read.
    Sorry I’m slow getting back. Thanks Chris for your interest and suggestion,I’ll have a look. Mike