Thread: Land based fishing at low tide

Land based fishing at low tide

What are the opportunities for fishing when the tide is low? Beaches can be dry out onto the mudflats, rock walls can be hard to fish with the water so far away.

Are pontoons and jetties the best/only bet?
    Which side of low tide fishes best?
    Is it better to fish at half tide than low tide? Incoming or outgoing?

When the high tide is inconvenient for whatever reason, wrong time of day etc, and you just want to go fishing, what do you do? I can get to most types of land based fishing fairly easily, except maybe surf beaches.

Re: Land based fishing at low tide

A lot of land based fishos around sydney use beach rods they must think the further u cast your casting into new territory lol i too followed along and have caught some cracking fish

One of my best nights was first king tide around jan/feb 2007 i hooked 3 flathead landed 1 that went 92cm i dropped a bigger one just before it right at the wharf it was actually a mates fault pulling its head out of the water

I find land base fishing best time is between the tides high or low as there is no weed or jelly fish hitting your line and the line stays strait out

If u put in the effort to catch baby mullet and chuck one out live you stand a far better chance at catching something

Wharfs, breakwalls, beaches, inlets, try everywhere i have and every fishes good, breakwalls in open ocean tend to have big critters i have seen a few big savage sharks at our south coast breakwall

When fishing rivers and upstream look at the sand carefully before u walk on it u can sometimes see where flathead have burrowed in to the sand it gives u an idea of whats sitting a few meters out in yhe shallows watching u

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Here is what i mean by look at the sand your walking on this little beach is about 30 meters wide 25kms up stream from the ocean its a brackish water mix of salt and fresh we walked down on this local beach to have a fish it was low tide and i immediatly spotted this shape of a flathead about 55cm within 25mins my mate hooked up to this fish but it busted him off in some long weedy grass type stuffAttachment 122321

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

I find land base fishing best time is between the tides high or low as there is no weed or jelly fish hitting your line and the line stays strait out
    Not sure what you mean here. Which do you think is best, incoming or outgoing?

In any event, I am mainly looking for thoughts on fishing at low tide (or near it).

2 hours before the tide changes and 2 hours after fish those 4 hours on or near a full moon a full moon is a king tide

One hour either side.
    One hour before I get there and one hour after I leave. Thats when the fish bite apparently
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by tug_tellum View Post
    One hour either side.
    One hour before I get there and one hour after I leave. Thats when the fish bite apparently
    Mick
    Haha

One thing i have favored with fishing is i have gone back to monofiliment line for the past 5 years and my catch rate is huge to my mates i go fishing with so much one mate deliberatly snapped the tip on my rod to throw me off for the day

The tide can determine where you fish and what you fish for, I doubt fish starve to death because it's low tide! Flathead will be sitting at little drains or drop offs, waiting for the last of the bait to be forced off a flat, Whiting will be in deeper holes looking for food while waiting for the rising tide to let them forage up on the flats, where the Flathead are now hiding waiting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    one mate deliberatly snapped the tip on my rod to throw me off

Your kidding aren’t you? How could you call him a “mate”. Prick of an act. That bloke would never get in my boat again.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The tide can determine where you fish and what you fish for, I doubt fish starve to death because it's low tide! Flathead will be sitting at little drains or drop offs, waiting for the last of the bait to be forced off a flat, Whiting will be in deeper holes looking for food while waiting for the rising tide to let them forage up on the flats, where the Flathead are now hiding waiting for them.
    Great thinking. I will keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Your kidding aren’t you? How could you call him a “mate”. Prick of an act. That bloke would never get in my boat again.
    Yeah it was a shit go it threw me off fishing all together it was one of my last few trips out for a fish before i went back into hibernation

I think that day we boated over 100 king fish all rats between 4 of us i had to fish with the broken rod

Ah well when my boat is on the water my boat my rules, someone snaps my rod or pulls up a tangle and cuts my line i'll stop 50m short of the wharf someone will be doing a thorpie