Thread: Help wanted - Cape Info - Fishing spots out of the wind

Blog Entries

Help wanted - Cape Info - Fishing spots out of the wind

Hi Ausfishers

We are heading off for Cape Melville in the next couple of weeks for 2 weeks up the cape. Looking at the wind recently it hasn't stopped blowing it's arse off and if that continues we will want to find some alternatives for places out of the wind. We will have two 4.5m tinnies with 50HP outboards.

Would love some alternative ideas should the wind stay as it has for the last month. We need a plan B - Z

for example has anyone ever fished Honey Dam at Lakeland? Is it open for rec fishing? Does it hold fish?

Any ideas welcomed?

Cheers
    Funchy

Help wanted - Cape Info - Fishing spots out of the wind

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Hi Ausfishers

We are heading off for Cape Melville in the next couple of weeks for 2 weeks up the cape. Looking at the wind recently it hasn't stopped blowing it's arse off and if that continues we will want to find some alternatives for places out of the wind. We will have two 4.5m tinnies with 50HP outboards.

Would love some alternative ideas should the wind stay as it has for the last month. We need a plan B - Z

for example has anyone ever fished Honey Dam at Lakeland? Is it open for rec fishing? Does it hold fish?

Any ideas welcomed?

Cheers
    Funchy
    Ok mate iv been living up here at Cooktown for nearly 3 months and we have only had a couple of days of no wind but filled a couple of eskys both times with red fish , the wind will more than likely die down in the next couple of weeks according to the locals and fishing season up here begins big time . At the moment mackerel and heaps of Barra are being caught from the wharf and we are heading up to Lakefield national park to chase Barra in the the next week or so , problem is most of the camp sites are near booked out and they do patrols regularly for those who don’t have a camping permit . The fishing is red hot at the moment and getting better as the weeks go by but I would be booking anywhere you want to stay now as it’s busy as up here at the moment and into the end of November, get up here and have a go talk to the locals and you will get plenty from now until the wet hits . Just another note BE CROC aware they are everywhere so no kayaks and don’t camp anywhere near the water , this is my second year up here and I am working for a caravan park and the owners are fisher people and have the knowledge PM if you want some more info . Matt

A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Blog Entries

Re: Help wanted - Cape Info - Fishing spots out of the wind

Thanks Matt, good to here the wind is likely to drop. We have booked Crocodile Camp sites at Cape Melville from 13th to 25th October. I'll keep an eye on wind as we get closer and if I get too nervous you may get a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Thanks Matt, good to here the wind is likely to drop. We have booked Crocodile Camp sites at Cape Melville from 13th to 25th October. I'll keep an eye on wind as we get closer and if I get too nervous you may get a PM
    It’s definitely due to calm off up here anytime now as I said iv been here a couple of times now and this time of year is great until Xmas ,hope you get a few as you shouldn’t have too much problems the reefs are unreal and are barely touched due to the weather but planning when to come is really important as anytime in winter is crap for fishing . Enjoy your stay and local knowledge and keeping it simple is the only way to go , iv even put my saltiga outfit away and barely use it as most of our fishing is handlines make sure you bring a 60 or 80 lb handline as it’s a great way to fish I’m converted . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    It’s definitely due to calm off up here anytime now as I said iv been here a couple of times now and this time of year is great until Xmas ,hope you get a few as you shouldn’t have too much problems the reefs are unreal and are barely touched due to the weather but planning when to come is really important as anytime in winter is crap for fishing . Enjoy your stay and local knowledge and keeping it simple is the only way to go , iv even put my saltiga outfit away and barely use it as most of our fishing is handlines make sure you bring a 60 or 80 lb handline as it’s a great way to fish I’m converted . Matt
    Yeah I'm taking my trusty old handline (as well as flash stuff) just so I can show my mate up when he starts banging on about how good his Stella is

And finger stalls bmx bike tube is ok it's thicker on the bottom