Thread: Mounting Airmar transducer question.

Mounting Airmar transducer question.

So I've done the hard part and run the cable trough the transom and up to the helm - via the under floor cable duct.

The transducer is a TM165HW - so it comes with a plastic bracket and a wedge shaped shim to mount with the bracket to allow for whatever transom angle the boat has. The bracket has 3 slotted holes (about a 20mm slot) to adjust the depth of the transducer.

The wedge shaped shim has locating slots so it only mounts up to the bracket two ways - ie rotate it to reverse the wedge angle on the same face. The slots on the wedge have to face the bracket and the flat face ia against the transom.

Reading the instructions- for the transom angle on my boat I should be using the wedge fat side down/thin side up. This provides more upward angle for the transducer.

So I've drilled the mounting holes using the template provided and have white sika bloody everywhere. 3 x Screws in place and start tightening up.
    As I tighten the screws up the wedge angle causes the the bracket to slip to the end of the bracket slots.
    So I cannot take advantage of any depth adjustment and the depth is now too low because the screws squeeze the bracket and wedge to the thin end.
    Am I missing something silly and obvious here ?
    I pulled it on and off a few times creating a mess of rags with sika and have ended up ditching the wedge.
    After mounting the bracket without the wedge the transducer angle looks good anyway.
    I won't be able to test on water until the gestapo relaxes the lockdown.
    But this wedge has me thinking I've got something silly/basic wrong if I wanted or needed to use it.
    If Anybody has used this sort of bracket and wedge I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Mounting Airmar transducer question.

Using washers under the screw heads tends to minimise the tendency for this to happen.

Thanks Scottar I’ll keep that up my sleeve if I find I do need the wedge.
    Might have to find me some stainless washers with a textured face for some grip ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, just a normal flat ss washer is all that is required. It stops the turning motion of the screw dragging the bracket away from where you want it. It will bite into the plastic well enough with pressure.

any pics ....... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Bige

Have you considered mounting the Airmar on one of the slide up and down mounts to give you optimum placement in the water?

C
    C

PS starting at $12 for the mount
    https://www.huntsmarine.com.au/colle...-bracket-small
    What could go wrong.......................

Bite the bullet and order one of these;

https://rytekmarine.com/collections/...-transom-mount

Mounting Airmar transducer question.

Thanks everyone for the ideas,
    I did see the raytech mounts they look the business.
    Hopefully (once the dictator relaxes his sphincter and opens Mexico/Melbourne) I can get the tub wet in a week or two and give the transducer position a test to behold the rewards of my investment.

By eye the angles and positioning of the transducer look fine to me, using all the theory I’ve read and my extensive marine technology experience

Also waiting on the correct adapter cable to plug into the Simrad - the wrong one was sent. It’s been in the post now for 2 weeks from 3 suburbs away - beyond my 5 klm play zone limit.
    But I won’t go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk