Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Problem

Re: Trailer Problem

How do you reverse it when it's got no boat on it?
    I'd email Mackay first and see what they say.
    If they gave me the flick I'd clamp 2 bits of square tube under the swinging arms using U bolts to limit the amount of travel and keep them at least 6" off the ground if not more.
    Unless there's some secret part missing all I can say is, "What a cock up".
    It looks as if it left the factory like that because there's no other holes in the swinging arm, what were they thinking.

I went and had a look at my trailer and my rocker arm was much shorter than the one in the pic. (But that could be a camera angle visual thing) On mine, the bolt is located just about 50mm towards the front off the trailer from the actual center of the arm. In the picture a couple of posts above, the rear part is about twice the length of the front part which is why yours drags on the ground when the boat isn't on it. It is relying on the pressure of the bolt to keep it in place and there is not enough pressure to hold it in place.

If the arm is actually twice as long as the front part and it isn't a camera angle thing, then It may be that someone has replaced the original arm with a much longer arm to make it "more suitable" for a longer boat. If it was my trailer I would be more inclined to drill another hole or two toward the rear of the arm to make it more centrally balanced by repositioning the bolt, which will also move the arm further towards the front of the trailer, there by balancing it a bit better. Alternatively if you like it the way it is, I would fit a small "rubber" stopper to the towards back of the U channel under that arm that holds it up.

rocker arm.jpg

Trailer Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    How do you reverse it when it's got no boat on it?
    I'd email Mackay first and see what they say.
    If they gave me the flick I'd clamp 2 bits of square tube under the swinging arms using U bolts to limit the amount of travel and keep them at least 6" off the ground if not more.
    Unless there's some secret part missing all I can say is, "What a cock up".
    It looks as if it left the factory like that because there's no other holes in the swinging arm, what were they thinking.
    That’s the thing Fed - if I don’t remember it will dig in when reversing. It never used to, it just started happening all of a sudden.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I went and had a look at my trailer and my rocker arm was much shorter than the one in the pic. (But that could be a camera angle visual thing) On mine, the bolt is located just about 50mm towards the front off the trailer from the actual center of the arm. In the picture a couple of posts above, the rear part is about twice the length of the front part which is why yours drags on the ground when the boat isn't on it. It is relying on the pressure of the bolt to keep it in place and there is not enough pressure to hold it in place.

If the arm is actually twice as long as the front part and it isn't a camera angle thing, then It may be that someone has replaced the original arm with a much longer arm to make it "more suitable" for a longer boat. If it was my trailer I would be more inclined to drill another hole or two toward the rear of the arm to make it more centrally balanced by repositioning the bolt, which will also move the arm further towards the front of the trailer, there by balancing it a bit better. Alternatively if you like it the way it is, I would fit a small "rubber" stopper to the towards back of the U channel under that arm that holds it up.

rocker arm.jpg
    You mention that it may have been replaced by someone to make it more suitable for a longer boat.

To my knowledge this is the original trailer for this boat when new from Seafarer in 2000

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

The rubber block would have been similar to those under the roller pivot bolts. Does it look like something may have dislodged from the brackets under the assembly pivot bolt?

Shakey, my humblest apologies, I forgot about the this post and also went fishing today so far from my mind. The rubber insert I was referring to is not the issue. In your case the arm is surprisingly long from the pivot point. In my case (too dark now to take a photo) my arm the 3 wobble rollers are evenly distributed and pivots on or around the central set of rollers.
    Apart from drilling a hole through the arm further along which will change how they sit under your boat I can't see s simple solution other than an occy strap short term.

Oops, just seen loads of posts since I posted.
    I suspect as Scottar has suggested there may have been a rubber block in under the pivot point which would restrict the arm dropping. Call Mackay trailers as first port of call as that rubber block would need to be pressed in

If it was mine, and the rubber block is a no go, I'd just drill a hole up through the bottom of the pivot bracket off centre towards the rear.
    Then insert a bolt with a nut either side of it so you can adjust the length of it inside the bracket to act as a stopper..... of sorts.

Or even bolt in a short
    appropriate length of gal strap to hang out the back of the bracket for it all to rest on. Cut to the length where it keeps the roller carriage angled, but off the ground.

Cheers
    Gurn