Thread: Ideas for grab rails above windscreen in old fibreglass runabout

Ideas for grab rails above windscreen in old fibreglass runabout

I’d like to figure out how to add some solid grab points above the windscreen on my old Swiftcraft Brigand 15’ fibreglass runabout. The original screen is pretty flimsy and there’s nothing to grab on to to brace yourself.

I was thinking about replacing the windscreen with plywood, sort of like a wave breaker but still with an opening hinged section in the middle, and fix some handles to that. It’s running higher seats than the originals, so visibility over the screen isn’t a problem.

The other thought was to make up some rails that go up and over the screen, or a fixed bar above the screen with legs on either side.

I’m looking for suggestions on which way to go, or alternative ways of going about it. If you have any pics that would be great.

F1A71A6C-E80D-4E8F-AF14-1F8B9EC8818F.jpg

Re: Ideas for grab rails above windscreen in old fibreglass runabout

The old Seafarers had a bit on anodised aluminium flat bar (about 25mmX6mm) across the corners of the windscreen, that kind of reinforced the screen as well as provided "handles" in the corners, so, unless you are go to make a full seperate grab rail, it's probably a reasonable idea.

yeah one of my pet peaves was passengers grabbing the windscreen . make and bend up S/S rod like noel says and use a 'sandleford 19mm chrome pillar centre from bunnings . one on each side of the centre window.

If you are open to having to duck under the rail to go through the screen, You may be able to bolt a stainless rail from one side window, up across the screen and around to the other side window - attaching to the window frame. My Victory came with a factory fitted grab rail done in such a fashion sitting about 50mm inside the top screen frame - admittedly not with a split screen though. It's a bit hard to see but is in the second photo in this review. You would need to be careful drilling the holes not to clip the edge of the screen

https://www.australianboatmags.com.a...NG104_prev.pdf

Try look at bowridrers my friends quintrex freedom sport has a really nice grab rail that stops either side for the walk thru door

You can brace the middle down to the dash with struts or u can make ones that extend over the windscreen to the the bow

If u make it of thick enough material it should be very sturdy

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by scottar;1675466 You would need to be careful drilling the holes not to clip the edge of the screen

[URL
    https://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG104_prev.pdf[/URL]
    That is probably the most important advice in this thread. Usually in the alum trim there will be a groove, if you drill above this you should be fine. Below this line you will end up cracking the windscreen.

Straight to the DNR folder.