Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ventilate engine pods

Re: ventilate engine pods

I have called them Pods. In reality its just the aft of the hull. There is no seperate construction or joins.
    The inspection hatches were faulty. And bogged in with silicone.
    I have tested the new inspection hatches with a hose. They are water tight.
    We are on Moreton Bay today snorkeling at Tangalooma Wrecks.
    Day started out cool and is now 27 degrees. With water temp 21deg. Will check the Pods on return and in the Morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Was it born with pods or has someone done a sterndrive to outboard conversion?
    I'm pretty sure my previous boat had holes drilled through from the open centre to the 'watertight' outside chambers.
    I think it could be nearly impossible to guarantee an airtight / watertight seal what with all the penetrations.
    I'd be suspect of how good your new hatches are too.

Maybe talk to some fibreglass boat builders who know their stuff?

To vent or not to vent & if so forced air or simply a small breather.
    Sent from my SM-G960F using Ausfish mobile app

I'm pretty sure my previous boat had holes drilled through from the open centre to the 'watertight' outside chambers.

Thats a good description for my Pods.
    Thanks.

Should i drill holes through the Bulkhead or not. If yes at what height. Keep in mind the goal is to stop Condensation forming on the roof of the Pods.

Should i drill holes through the Bulkhead or not.
    My short answer is, "I don't know".

Why don't you contact the manufacturer and see what they say?

I still say there has to be water getting in somewhere & my gut feeling is to fix that rather than trying to keep it dry by ventilation which seems like a bandaid fix.
    The value of the boat sort of dictates you have to get it right.

Maybe get a experienced person to go out and check your whole hull with a moisture meter and get a professionals opinion

Water can easily seep into laminated plywood once its in there it wont dry out it just rots and festers and stinks like dirty stagnant creek water

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Agree with that academically.
    But it is dusty dry in there now, like a desert. I have achieved that.
    Now to prevent the Condensation forming in beads on the roof of the pods. It may only happen when heat/cool conditions occure just right. It may be a tiny amount of moisture. But thats all wet rot and mould needs to thrive. Like a Terrarium.
    So if i can eliminate the Condensation the Wet Rot is beaten.
    Thats why i am interested in how condensation forms. And will it be interupted by puting holes in the Bu0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    My short answer is, "I don't know".

Why don't you contact the manufacturer and see what they say?

I still say there has to be water getting in somewhere & my gut feeling is to fix that rather than trying to keep it dry by ventilation which seems like a bandaid fix.
    The value of the boat sort of dictates you have to get it right.

I was out of the water for four weeks recently. I removed 12m2
    Of Teak decking. Found rot in the Top layer of Ply. Had that professionally removed and decks rebuilt on top. Non skid paint finish.
    The boat builder examined the Hulls thoroughly. No rot in the Hulls themselves. Rot found and fixed arround hatches and some deck hardware. Nothing big. When i purchased the boat in October 2018 the Surveyor Tapped the Hull and found nothing.
    I have spent many hours investigating. I also use a moisture meter and fiber optic cable camera to look closely at two restricted access areas. One under the shower the other under the fuel tanks.

Condensation forms on the walls of tents and inside cars when conditions are right. My Pods are similar closed environments.
    So an obvious or even hidden water source is not required to produce Condensation. Its some kind of atmospheric event.

Question is still the same.
    Can i stop the Condensation event by Putting holes through the Bulkhead into the Larger Hull cavity adjoining.
    Thanks again.

Micky that is enough to raise big concerns as u seen from my pics i only seen 2 small patches of mould on the inside of my transom and my transom was well and truely gone

Get it properly inspected

Mould travels anywhere air does as the mould spores can become airborne that was my worry moving my old transoms plywood

Condensation isn't your issue if the pods have been sealed - physics says it's not possible.

1m3 of 40°C air can hold around 51mL of water vapour at typical sea level air pressures. This means that if your pods were 1m3 each in volume (eg 1m x 1m x 1m), the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM volume of condensate that could form in each is 51mL if they were sealed up in worst-case 40°C / 100% RH conditions. Scale back according to actual pod size.

In short, it's not physically possible for the air in the pods to hold the amount of water that you've observed if they were indeed sealed. So they haven't been sealed. And if they're not sealed, then the leak is the more likely source of the water ingress than ongoing condensation.

The seal the previous owner employed was a mass of silicone goop.
    Once i replaced the inspection hatches and moped up the water trapped inside the Pods dried out.

The Pods stay dry now except for the occasional Condensation event. Which i want to eliminate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    Condensation isn't your issue if the pods have been sealed - physics says it's not possible.

1m3 of 40°C air can hold around 51mL of water vapour at typical sea level air pressures. This means that if your pods were 1m3 each in volume (eg 1m x 1m x 1m), the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM volume of condensate that could form in each is 51mL if they were sealed up in worst-case 40°C / 100% RH conditions. Scale back according to actual pod size.

In short, it's not physically possible for the air in the pods to hold the amount of water that you've observed if they were indeed sealed. So they haven't been sealed. And if they're not sealed, then the leak is the more likely source of the water ingress than ongoing condensation.

Actually 51 mils is enough to beed on the roof of the pods. It collects mostly on the inside of the new watertight hatches. I have kept the hatches open a lot and it is realy like a desert in their now.
    I need to try and create the perfect environment for it to form.
    Thinking i should put the hatchs on
    3.30pm on a hot day and check it first thing in the Morning.
    Its allways been the early morning check that revealed the Condensation event.
    Perhaps the Ply has given up its excess Moisture.
    Quote Originally Posted by micky flinders View Post
    The seal the previous owner employed was a mass of silicone goop.
    Once i replaced the inspection hatches and moped up the water trapped inside the Pods dried out.

The Pods stay dry now except for the occasional Condensation event. Which i want to eliminate.

And thanks Moephous for the Science. Helps me understand what i am trying to fix.

Gazza,
    If the rot is happening where it cant be seen no amount of experts will ne able to see it. All the expert will do is stick a sharp object into the ply to gauge hardness.
    Think i will take your previous advice and investigate below the surface.
    The construction on the Transom is two layers of Ply with closed cell foam in the middle.
    I will grind out some ply down to the foam and see how many layers are rotting out of sight.

I have fixed a few areas of rot in this vessel so far. Will post some pics for your interest. Non of the rot has been in the Hulls themselves. Except for these Pods.
    I will also sand out all the dark or soft patches. This will be a bit of a project as the restricted access means a blind, full streach of my arm to get a sanding tool in there.
    Short burst only.
    Unless there is a better way?

This may be simple question but could the water be coming in thru the engine mounting holes?

If the holes were never sealed with resin or a glue mix and the plywood around the bolt holes has assorbed water you will never get it to seal again

Moisture got under the Teak Decking. Rotted the 6mm ply down to the foam in two spots.
    Mostly just rotted the top ply layer.

Stripped the Teak which was 90% perfectly ok. (But i didnt know which 90% until we removed it, 3 days for my son and I on Planners 6 hours a day. Was a killer)

Then the Professionals took over and layed new composite decks.

Hope this was of interest.
    I will keep diging in the Pods to make sure I remove all the rotting ply. 20200506_110853.jpgIMG-20200628-WA0001.jpg20200701_145234.jpg20200701_144949.jpg20200713_134818.jpg20200713_134842.jpg20200804_161927.jpgScreenshot_20200811-203538_Messages.jpg20200824_104404.jpg