Thread: Painting tinnie floor

Painting tinnie floor

Ok, I found my leak in the tinnie, it was between the floor and the hull, a piece of wire, nice and rusted. Now that I have the floor up, all pressure cleaned and lots of elbow work I thought I would somehow protect the ally from such future issues as this is the second time it has happened. I thought of Tectyl for Alum. Is there anything others have used just to help protect the floor a bit more. My last problem developed because last year I was a bit lazy and only lifted the center panel and not the side panels on my annual maintenance, but in future will make sure I lift the floor in its entirety.

Re: Painting tinnie floor

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Ok, I found my leak in the tinnie, it was between the floor and the hull, a piece of wire, nice and rusted. Now that I have the floor up, all pressure cleaned and lots of elbow work I thought I would somehow protect the ally from such future issues as this is the second time it has happened. I thought of Tectyl for Alum. Is there anything others have used just to help protect the floor a bit more. My last problem developed because last year I was a bit lazy and only lifted the center panel and not the side panels on my annual maintenance, but in future will make sure I lift the floor in its entirety.

Yep, has the exact issue you have, but alot worst due to rusty old crab pots. My floor was covered in pittings and there are areas where it leaked pretty bad. Pull my finger out when the bilge wasnt able to cope.
    What I used was Jotun 2 part epoxy for alloy.
    Rough sand the entire floor with 80 grit and then light acid etched.
    And just apply the product with a roller or brush, I started of with roller, then migrated to brush for under the ribs, in the end I just pour all the mixed left over in and filled the floor up so the epoxy was level with the bungs. The bain of my life. Always water sitting there with crap.
    Havent leaked since and dont think it wkll ever allow galvanic corrosion to take place anyyime soon.
    $300 saved the 4m tinny going to the dump
    Humility is not a weather condition.