Thread: Best fuel for small Two Stroke

Best fuel for small Two Stroke

Hi All

I purchased a small boat a year ago now which has a 2004 Yamaha 30hp two stroke that has always run great. I buy the best, Yamaha branded oil for it but have only put 91 unleaded fuel in. It got me think, should I be putting premium 98 or 95 in it?
    I’ve been doing some research and some say absolutely, you should be running premium and some say no, you shouldn’t. I don’t have the manufacturers booklet but wanted to know if anyone else has any insight and knowledge on this at all? I would’ve thought that 98 would be better and cleaner but don’t want to have it pinging or running poorly. Cheers

Re: Best fuel for small Two Stroke

Just my two bob i run 91 in everything excep the closes garage only has 91 E10 next is 95 premium i very rarely buy 98

You engine is a really old design that goes back to the late 1970's believe it, they have been changed just ever so slightly over the years

I had a 79 mariner 30hp (yamaha rebadge) and i had a 2005 25hp yamaha there ver the very very minor differences in block castings but basically the same engine, i tried swapping my powerhead base plates the yamaha fit the mariner but the mariner didnt fit the yamaha the yamaha was a bit more beefed but i cant recall the problem i had was a couple of years ago

So pretty much the engine is a 1970's design back than im not sure if we even had premium 98?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

91 without ethanol, use 95 98 when the servo cant give you 91 without ethanol

only benefit to 95/98 is higher octane which in a performance engine with high compression ratios or lots of ignition advance
    or a engine that can detect fuel octane and change engine parameters to suit

98 also has cleaning agents but there's information say yes or no to it affecting the 2 stroke oils negatively

Motor is designed for 89 octane rating.......RTM
    Jack.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Main advantage of premium is longer shelf life. If you have something that sits around for long periods unused,like generators or boats that aren't used a lot, premium will be better.