Thread: Navionics vs CMaps

Navionics vs CMaps

Hi All

I'm upgrading my sounder to either a Garmin or Lowrance.
    Now the Lowrance comes with Cmaps and the Garmin has Navionics which I beleive Garmin purchased Navionics.

Anyway, I have only used Navionics in the past but I'm slightly leaning towards the Lowrance model due to having slightly better features BUT it does come with CMap and I haven't used it before.

Has anyone got any advice on CMap and the comparison between the two. From what I have found and read, Navionics has the edge and has more detail than CMap does.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Re: Navionics vs CMaps

yeah thats the general consensus. it does depend a little bit where you are based
    but garmin/navionics hybrid G3 mapping is very very good

If you would like to give us some lat/longs or a location i can go get some screenshots of what that area would look like on maps

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

G'day Moose - can I ask what the 'hybrid' G3 mapping is? Is it something different to the G3 Vision Card?
    I am having a boat built at the moment and will be installing 2x8410s and was wanting to run the new G3 vision card but had heard it is not a big step forward from the G2 Vision.
    Apologies to TCA - didn't intend to hyjack your post buddy.
    Cheers,
    Troy

Hey mate
    The g3 cards i tend to refer to as a hybrid card. it features both Garmin data and Navionics data a kinda best of both worlds. lol
    The vision cards are still the go to to gain some groovy satelite imagry, etc
    what sort of boat are you having built ?

www.moosemarine.com.au

Hey Moose thanks mate, makes sense. I am having a 6m CC Typhoon built by SeaAdex in Capalaba in Brisbane - sadly I live in Maclean northern nsw and can't get over the border to work on the fitout and fun bits so at a bit of a holding pattern unfortunately. Hull is done but that's it. I had a 7410 with G2 Vision card in my last boat and saw some utube fottage on the new G3 which looked impressive but it was USA fottage so not sure if it will be exactly the same...I like the closer contour mapping for a better - dare I say - almost 3d image but not sure how accurate that information is?

hey mate, thats a really nice looking boat! "just spent a whole coffee cup clicking through through photos on their site "
    So the super detailed imagry we dont have access to in australia "cmap recently released CMAP REVEAL" which is data taking from australian lidar navy surveys. im sure this data will make its way to garmin at some point, Raymarine have already hinted they have looked recently at purchasing the lisencing for it. "which is the expensive part.. part of the reason the cost of those map cards from Cmap is quite up there"
    Untill then the new navionics data does add a fair bit more data in areas. especially around green zones.

here is a "poor quality im sorry" video i made showing the full g3vision suite on a GPSMAP8416

Happy to see what we can do for an ausfisher for a system fyi <- shameless promotion

Quote Originally Posted by scroman View Post
    Hey Moose thanks mate, makes sense. I am having a 6m CC Typhoon built by SeaAdex in Capalaba in Brisbane - sadly I live in Maclean northern nsw and can't get over the border to work on the fitout and fun bits so at a bit of a holding pattern unfortunately. Hull is done but that's it. I had a 7410 with G2 Vision card in my last boat and saw some utube fottage on the new G3 which looked impressive but it was USA fottage so not sure if it will be exactly the same...I like the closer contour mapping for a better - dare I say - almost 3d image but not sure how accurate that information is?

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by scroman View Post
    I know the owner of SeaAdex boats very well mate.
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly