Thread: Suzuki DF175hp issues

Suzuki DF175hp issues

After some advice
    Had dirty fuel issues - fixed it
    Then boat wouldn't idle
    Was told in/out valve - replaced it
    Now a trip later
    Boat runs perfect (5 - 15 minutes) then starts decelerating to 3600 rpm
    If I stop and restart motor it will run perfect again for 5 to 15 minutes then repeats
    I am thinking electrical/fuel
    Wondering about the new in/out of the valve
    Wondering about the computer
    Anyone have any ideas
    Spent $1400 on service + fuel sort
    Then spent $650 on in/out valve
    Not getting much joy atm
    Thanks for any useful advice
    Went fishing Sunday and Redcliffe to Moreton was 6 stop starts to keep going
    Reckon I did about 30 through the day

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Suzuki DF175hp issues

Dont know exactly what you mean by in/out valve? but there is a known issue with the 175 where the butterfly screws come loose and cause some very weird symptoms.

Do they have a vacuum operated fuel regulator on these engines? They are a "in/out" kind of diaphram regulator that will regulate the fuel very common on car engines

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

$1400 for a service? WTF?

is there a second fuel filter under the cowl that is blocked up?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

Trev,

the valve that was repllaced was the IAC (idle air control) valve. This valve allows the engine to idle when the throttle is closed by opening a bypass around the butterfly. I too had problem with this and had it replaced, unfortunately with a non standard part. Thjis worked ok but ultimately gave problems and then i replaced with a genuine Suzuki part and all has been well. The Suzuki part is made by Mitsubishi and will have their logo on it.

Does your engine throw any error codes when it now cuts out? if so record these and take to dealer for diagnosis. Maybe still the fuel issue or related to IAC as motor will not idle without a correctly functioning valve.

Hi Trev it sounds like a fuel blockage takes a small run to pump the pressure up & block it of when you shut it down the pressure drops away & allows fuel to come thru when you start up again then starts the blockage again after running for awhile
    COL

Fuel tank breathing OK?
    A quick test is to crack the filler cap open a little bit & give it a run.

high pressure fuel pump

Would be getting the VST cleaned, filter changed and maybe as baitable mentions the high pressure pump in the VST maybe on the fritz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keep the IAC (idle air control) valve Mitsubishi part number - it is possibly a part they make for the car motors

I did get I/O replaced with genuine hence $450 plus labour $650 as they said cheaper valves have had issues
    If it were breather why does it run normal sometimes a few minutes sometimes 15-20 minutes?
    Why is it if I stop and restart everytime it works perfectly - even if stop is only a second long?
    I appreciate all the feedback
    Yeah $1400 is up there for a service but I got them to take it for a run as two previous fixes they said all good and it wasn't extra $150 plus motor flush another $150
    What made the trip worse was leaving fuel station trailer did this on driveway
    Hurting a bit atm
    It'll have to go back in
    I'll let you know what they think it is and if it gets fixed
    Been 8 months of troubles only good thing is always gotten back Image.jpg

Cheers

Trev

My experience on my DF150 I had regarding the IAC was it would just not idle - ran perfectly other than that. Would start normally but as soon as it would come back to idle - stop. I had to use the cold start throttle lever to increase the idle to keep it running but it was a juggle to get it in gear to get home. The Suzuki IAC valve is just from Mitsubishi and you can buy heaps cheaper on line. Seems like a fuel supply issue, maybe something stupid like the fuel priming bulb check valves aging and blocking supply to the system.

The IAC only comes into play at idle, once above idle it doesn't matter if it's good, bad, or not there at all (kind of) how old is the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    I did get I/O replaced with genuine hence $450 plus labour $650 as they said cheaper valves have had issues
    If it were breather why does it run normal sometimes a few minutes sometimes 15-20 minutes?
    Why is it if I stop and restart everytime it works perfectly - even if stop is only a second long?
    I appreciate all the feedback
    Yeah $1400 is up there for a service but I got them to take it for a run as two previous fixes they said all good and it wasn't extra $150 plus motor flush another $150
    What made the trip worse was leaving fuel station trailer did this on driveway
    Hurting a bit atm
    It'll have to go back in
    I'll let you know what they think it is and if it gets fixed
    Been 8 months of troubles only good thing is always gotten back Image.jpg

ouch, always found I need to leave most driveways at an angle to avoid this happening. Hope you get your issues sorted Trev, I've been going through similar issues, got my shoulders to a stage when I can do some fishing with the right setup, then my trailer brakes on the blink, got them fixed now sounds like a blocked injector.

I had a tank breather with a gauze fitting that used to clog & partially clog with salt, it used to do the exact same thing as what you are suffering including the short stop & restart. It's easy to check as above or simple look at it.