Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Suzuki DF175hp issues

Re: Suzuki DF175hp issues

Col, there's a diagram on this site which I think is what you are trying to achieve. Moonlighters idea probably is one of the better alternatives I've seen.

Trev, good luck Saturday and hope all your issues have been laid to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Several thoughts come to mind Trev - hope they might be helpful

First - Re the breather, I put a “catch can” just inside the transom close to the breather outlet. Basically its a 1 litre mower fuel bottle fitted with brass hose fittings at the top. So the breather line from the tank comes into the top one side, and the line to the hull outlet goes out the top other side. So this prevents water or anything else coming in from the breather and getting sucked back into the fuel tank, and likewise, any raw fuel that gets pushed out if the tank is overfilled or gets hot is trapped in the bottle and cant overflow down the side of the boat. I can easily see any fuel or water that gets into the translucent bottle. Its easily removable so can then be emptied.

I now know several people who have done the same thing due to water getting forced into the breather line in certain sea conditions.

Second, re fuel preservative treatments, I have never EVER been able to find any properly done science/engineering testing that bears out the multitude of claims they all make. The only ones that have been fairly reliably tested are diesel conditioners designed to prevent that fungus that can infect diesel fuel.

Surely, since one of their loudly proclaimed benefits is to preserve octane ratings, it cant be that hard to get a independent lab or university to test something simple like that! Yet ..... apparently not been done, because if it had been, those versions that had done it would surely be trumpeting it...... Therefore IMO they’re snake oil.

Thirdly, IMO the big problem with using high octane fuels is simply that they are not sold in anywhere near the volumes of standard unleaded. So they sit there in the petrol station tanks for who knows how long, which just amplifies the time for them to lose volatiles and get other contaminants and water in there.

Lastly, fuel lines do deteriorate over time, and ethanol based fuels can do bad things to some lines that arent rated to take them. I didnt read all the thread again but hopefully ALL THE FUEL LINES from tank to engine have been replaced with new ones of a suitable high quality and marine rating.

Cheers, and I hope the problem is fixed and stays that way.
    Hi ML

I did a 120km trip last weekend and it went very well.
    The filter glass was for months showing a fuel with a red tinge and small black specks - mechanic said particles most likely degraded fuel lines - I replaced them all PIA to do with lifting floor and all lines were perfect inside
    Fuel Tank.jpg
    When they run fuel through a filter it removed crap and water
    Fuel is presently showing clear and good - suspect there was something with fuel bug or fungal don't know but it is clear and good now.
    I like the idea of the bottle and will install one even though I have never had fuel come out breather and new cover should stop any sneaky attempts to jet water into the breather vent.
    After latest bill bring fix for this to near $3k I will look at alternative place in future as per your message - thanks
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    How did you go mate...?... any joy yet...?..Hard to understand after all those dollars they have charged that they didnt adequately watertest it before handing it back to you....
    Latest effort added another $750 to the fix cost - not game to add it all up but reckon a service plus 4 or so visits and a boat running like crap for all Winter may well have left little of no change from $4k
    Cheers

Trev

Boat runs well now

Hoping for an opportunity to do a deep drop trip before Christmas
    Cheers

Trev

Hi Trev

Did you ever check out the Mr Funnel type filter to run your fuel through as you fill the boat?
    Sometimes the extras in the fuel can be an issue

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

A Mr Funnel zealot?
    MAKE IT STOP

Not me Fed, I have a 50 yr old metal diesel filter that I put all my boat fuel through and the drum fuel that goes into the Patrol and if I suggest Trev gets one of those he might wonder what I'm talking about.
    And the Mr Funnel mob have videos that I don't have to make the point.

Anyhoo nobody has to try suggestions made here or elsewhere and noones paying me so ...................

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Hey I did suggest a Dr Funnel earlier I think. I use one and the first time I used it was totally surprised at the amount of crap, including some water it filtered out, and this was from a station that has considerable turnover.
    Was a skeptic until I tried it. There are times when the fuel is clean but other times it can be pretty dirty. I guess if you go just after the station has just topped up there tanks might be a contributing factor.

Are you filtering directly from the bowser or via other containers Dignity?
    If from the bowser have you asked the servo to explain it?

Get the shoulder shrug, they're only employee's. I've done both and similar results. I use the yellow plastic jerrys which I clean before filling up and they are really easy to see into and when the fuel has bee decanted using my jiggler hose which is kept in it's own plastic container. Yes there is possibility of cross contamination but care is taken.

This is what I use for my plastic jerrycans
    Did think though that getting BP ultimate from a free way servo should be good and not need to be filtered - do you guys filter this fuel too? IMG_20201207_172155.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

That's the one Trev. As mentioned sometimes the fuel is good, sometimes is contaminated.