Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki DF175hp issues

Re: Suzuki DF175hp issues

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    I think the Suzuki has two filters in the motor after the external water trap filter - pretty common knowledge to these mechanics
    I'd say he was having fun

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    I knew there was one in the motor but wasn't aware there was a second one.

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I had an interesting discussion with my mechanic the other day when I mentioned that I'd checked my fuel filter/water separator as well as the one in the motor. His question was which one? Turns out there is another filter which feeds the injectors, this is a 150HP Yammy 4 stroke. I may have misheard him or he was taking the piss out of me (he has a very dry senses of humour).

There is both a low pressure fuel filter and a high pressure fuel filter in most big outboards. The high pressure filter is located after the vapor separator and is usually a metal canister. They should be replaced every 800-1000 hours.

Just going to collect boat now
    Mechanic said the boat was put in forward a number of times and registered as neutral on the computer - hence it limits the revs to what you would have if it were in neutral and lifting the accelerator lever and resets once you go to neutral and restart the motor.
    The proof will be once this wind dies back and I take it out again - I'll let you all know
    Cost $230 for switch + 1.5hrs work = $420
    Thanks for input though - appreciate
    Cheers

Trev

Good feedback Trev, that will surely help somebody else one day.

Just going to collect boat now
    Mechanic said the boat was put in forward a number of times and registered as neutral on the computer - hence it limits the revs to what you would have if it were in neutral and lifting the accelerator lever and resets once you go to neutral and restart the motor.
    The proof will be once this wind dies back and I take it out again - I'll let you all know
    Cost $230 for switch + 1.5hrs work = $420
    Thanks for input though - appreciate
    That is pretty good Trev the local small guy i use to use charged $70 per 30mins labour

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

So this was the “neutral throttle switch” on the engine that was replaced??

I know the NSS Tells the engine whether its in gear or not. Like if you are trying to rev too much in neutral it wont let you.

Ive not heard of one that stops working at speed and suddenly drops revs back to 3000? Mostly you hear that when the engine is started then put into gear it simply wont accelerate past 3000rpm because the rev limiter cuts in there.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Trev,

the limiter in neutral is actually 3000 rpm not 3600.. not sure that helps you.. you can try it in your driveway.

Regards
    Honda.

Honda and ML you could be right
    But yeah problem was revs drop back and limit 3600rpm - did it many times
    I played video of issue to mechanic where it dropped revs then was limited and a restart temporarily fixed it
    Rev limiter switch replaced
    I am yet to do a test run
    I found issue would be motor running anywhere from minutes to half hour max and dropped back
    So yeah - I know what you are saying
    I'll let you know how test run goes
    I'm getting tired of issues and money recent times

1400 service and engine flush
    650 i/o switch
    350 replace all fuel lines
    450 idle switch

Now hoping it works but not game to plan a trip before test run

Cheers

Trev

Honda and ML you could be right
    But yeah problem was revs drop back and limit 3600rpm - did it many times
    I played video of issue to mechanic where it dropped revs then was limited and a restart temporarily fixed it
    Rev limiter switch replaced
    I am yet to do a test run
    I found issue would be motor running anywhere from minutes to half hour max and dropped back
    So yeah - I know what you are saying
    I'll let you know how test run goes

650 i/o switch
    450 idle switch

Ok but what was this “idle switch” ?

I have never heard of such a thing. But heck Im no mechanic LOL!

IAC valve is the closest thing, maybe thats what was replaced? , Idle Air Control valve, but its only job is to make the engine idle smoothly, nothing else.

anyway..

sent you a PM.
    cheers!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

650 i/o switch
    450 idle switch

Trevor, given the stupid money being asked for 2nd hand 4 strokes lately it might be your chance to sell it and upgrade to a new 6cyl 200 or 250...
    Nothing worse for us blokes that head out to the shelf and back once you start having issues, however minor, with your motor....After a couple of computer problems and tows on my last motor (one from 60 kms out)I totally lost confidence and I would get a horrible feeling in my guts whenever planning a trip out wide...

That said you may have no more issues for years but it sounds like you could do with a change of service techs though..nearly 3K to service and change a switch doesnt sound too flash..

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Ok but what was this “idle switch” ?

I have never heard of such a thing. But heck Im no mechanic LOL!

IAC valve is the closest thing, maybe thats what was replaced? , Idle Air Control valve, but its only job is to make the engine idle smoothly, nothing else.

anyway..

sent you a PM.
    cheers!
    Hi ML,

First was flush motor and service
    Second was not idling so replaced the IAC valve
    Third it would idle perfectly but when running it would then slow to 3600rpm and need restart to temporarily fix and they replaced idle switch

I'll let you know how test run goes and appreciate your message
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Trevor, given the stupid money being asked for 2nd hand 4 strokes lately it might be your chance to sell it and upgrade to a new 6cyl 200 or 250...
    Nothing worse for us blokes that head out to the shelf and back once you start having issues, however minor, with your motor....After a couple of computer problems and tows on my last motor (one from 60 kms out)I totally lost confidence and I would get a horrible feeling in my guts whenever planning a trip out wide...

That said you may have no more issues for years but it sounds like you could do with a change of service techs though..nearly 3K to service and change a switch doesnt sound too flash..

You could be right Disorderly.
    I think what is keeping me from this action atm is the motor has always gotten me home and I keep telling myself one fix and all is good again.
    But be sure your thinking is not just your thinking
    SWMBO is accountant - so that is another matter - will have to do sums and present a case etc if it goes there
    Cheers

Trev

Is this the “idle switch” they replaced?

I googled on the Suzuki parts forum for idle switch and nothing close came up. Do you have a part number on the invoice?

This is the neutral throttle switch though, the one that sends a signal to the ecu that tells it if the engine is in gear or not, and prevents excessive revs if the engine is in neutral. It costs $34 US!

I know people who have replaced them themselves and they say its a 30 minute job for an amateur.

https://www.boats.net/product/suzuki...b82ce184a4f4b5

I have replaced one on a mates motor, it was at best a 20min job if you had access to basic tools.

Okay guys
    Thanks for the interest
    Info is here IMG_20200916_200642.jpg

Cheers

Trev