Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki DF175hp issues

Re: Suzuki DF175hp issues

With the first lot of fuel issues I replaced all the fuel lines a few months back as they told me there were little black bits in the fuel and it was rubber from fuel lines aging - I took out all the lines and they seemed perfect - hence I looked at lines and breather and they are all good - see pic
    The second issue at idle was IAC and replaced and idles perfectly
    This third issue has me stumped - maybe the high pressure pump but would it play up and then suddenly be okay everytime it was stopped and started again?
    Booked in next Wednesday
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

Trev

It really does sound like a fuel delivery issue - either the pump isn't keeping up with demand or a bit of crap floating somewhere in the fuel system that every so often is restricting flow but then floats free when the suction stops. I've had similar faults with carby motors but they usually stall all together. I would be seeing if your tech is open to a sea trial with a fuel pressure gauge fitted for starters or have a crack yourself. Not sure if there is a sensor for the NMEA output that monitors this in the Zuk's. Moonlighter????

Is there a low pressure fuel pump that employs a diaphragm?

I had a similar issue on two motors about 10 hrs apart and it turned out that one of the two springs on either side of the diaphragm had let go.

This meant there was intermittant fuel delivery and the motors died but recovered after a spell only to repeat etc etc

Took a long time to identify the problem the first time and a few minutes the second time.

Very annoying thing but easy fix with a new pump, in my case.

Good luck with it.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Had an issue a while back where the fuel hose connects to the water separator wasn't completely tight allowing air into the line.Caused a lot of grief.I know you have most likely checked but just in case.

I'll ask again, how old is the motor?

8 years and about 500 hours
    Hoping 6 more years and another 500 hours before I get to replace it
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I'll ask again, how old is the motor?
    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Hey Trevelly, I have a suzuki 225 and have the same issues, it is the crank angle sensor (which a dyno won't pick up) suzuki dealer didn't pick it up but my local did, have had it replaced 6 times now and have been told by suzuki that they are aware of it with other engines and are going to fix it once they sort it out.

Happens intermittently and have to stop turn off engine take key out then restart it then all good again

Maybe the fuel hose has broken down and lodged inside one of the fuel pumps

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by boatrower View Post
    Hey Trevelly, I have a suzuki 225 and have the same issues, it is the crank angle sensor (which a dyno won't pick up) suzuki dealer didn't pick it up but my local did, have had it replaced 6 times now and have been told by suzuki that they are aware of it with other engines and are going to fix it once they sort it out.

Happens intermittently and have to stop turn off engine take key out then restart it then all good again
    That's interesting
    I'll run that past them
    You have replaced it 6 times - that's a lot
    I just turn motor off and restart - don't remove key

Cheers

Trev

All new fuel lines
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Maybe the fuel hose has broken down and lodged inside one of the fuel pumps

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    It really does sound like a fuel delivery issue - either the pump isn't keeping up with demand or a bit of crap floating somewhere in the fuel system that every so often is restricting flow but then floats free when the suction stops. I've had similar faults with carby motors but they usually stall all together. I would be seeing if your tech is open to a sea trial with a fuel pressure gauge fitted for starters or have a crack yourself. Not sure if there is a sensor for the NMEA output that monitors this in the Zuk's. Moonlighter????
    I agree it's fuel delivery
    When choking I pump fuel bulb and it's solid also have tried draining filter bowl and flow to that point is good

Cheers

Trev

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

Trev,
    as you had previous fuel delivery issues it may be worth looking a bit further down the fuel system for potential problem areas. I was thinking you may have a clogged filter on the high pressure fuel pump (in the vapor separator(. On the bottom of the pump there is a gauze filter that is supposed to stop muck going through to the pump and high pressure filter. These have been known to block up and cause problems. In some cases the plastic holder that the gauze sits in detaches and floats around under the pump and can intermittently block flow. Maybe worth a look

I read through the list of people's ideas
    Played video of motor playing up
    Mechanic thinks faulty run idle switch
    Will look at soon

Cheers

Trev

I had an interesting discussion with my mechanic the other day when I mentioned that I'd checked my fuel filter/water separator as well as the one in the motor. His question was which one? Turns out there is another filter which feeds the injectors, this is a 150HP Yammy 4 stroke. I may have misheard him or he was taking the piss out of me (he has a very dry senses of humour).

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I had an interesting discussion with my mechanic the other day when I mentioned that I'd checked my fuel filter/water separator as well as the one in the motor. His question was which one? Turns out there is another filter which feeds the injectors, this is a 150HP Yammy 4 stroke. I may have misheard him or he was taking the piss out of me (he has a very dry senses of humour).
    I think the Suzuki has two filters in the motor after the external water trap filter - pretty common knowledge to these mechanics
    I'd say he was having fun

Cheers

Trev