Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fit Out has begun

New Fit Out has begun

G-Day Guys

I have finally made the commitment to fully refit out the boat before i start having any issues.

I fitted this out 15 years ago so time to start from scratch again.

Full rewire
    New electronicsIMG_5127.jpgIMG_5129.jpgIMG_5130.jpgIMG_5131.jpgIMG_5133.jpg
    possible addition underfloor fuel tank
    Center console
    Extended tiler arm.
    I would love a new donk maybe next year motor have never let me down i would just like to go bigger.

Cheers Guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New Fit Out has begun

Have u thought about buying a pre rigged universal wire harness? That are labelled for every accessory and come in variable lengths for different size boats

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

No I have not
    Where from i have never considered that where from am sparky but if quality is good an will save me time im interested

Check out this aussie shop

https://www.chsmith.com.au/electrica...harnesses.html

They are pretty pricey for what they are Gazza. Be better off doing your own.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    They are pretty pricey for what they are Gazza. Be better off doing your own.
    I think its well priced all the wiring would be quality tinned wire, the crimp connectors would have to be of quality all the ones i have used over the years just fall off after crimped lol, i like how the harness is fused and all pre wired to the switch board, one with a few more switches 6-8 would ve great

proper tools help, i finally invested in a decent heavy cable and light cable terminal crimper and they dont fail

universal looms universally dont fit and doing them yourself you know whats been run where and how

100% agree with Scott on the cost side and 100% with Steve with regard to pre made looms not fitting.
    Every boat and situation or configuration would be different, so I'm picking you would have to re modify anything pre made or at least add to it.
    It was way easier for me and cheaper, to buy the wire, and run it where it suited me for my situation.
    Plus, it sure teaches you about wiring and gives you an insight, which would give you the knowledge to sort a problem should it arise on the water..
    Steve, got myself a decent quality small crimper, would love to have the larger one, but have a local auto electrical shop nearby, so I'll get them to crimp my larger cables, but would be nice to have for sure...

Col

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    100% agree with Scott on the cost side and 100% with Steve with regard to pre made looms not fitting.
    Every boat and situation or configuration would be different, so I'm picking you would have to re modify anything pre made or at least add to it.
    It was way easier for me and cheaper, to buy the wire, and run it where it suited me for my situation.
    Plus, it sure teaches you about wiring and gives you an insight, which would give you the knowledge to sort a problem should it arise on the water..
    Steve, got myself a decent quality small crimper, would love to have the larger one, but have a local auto electrical shop nearby, so I'll get them to crimp my larger cables, but would be nice to have for sure...

Col
    these wernt expensive items the cable crimper was 60 off ebay, may not last for ever but sure does a good job
    ive only ever use those cheap multi use crimpers and tbh they are just junk and the heat shrink did more of the work holding it all together lol
    https://www.mydeal.com.au/yescom-8-t...nt=Very%20high

Thanks Guys
    I have all the gear as been doing this work for 20 years on machinery, but time poor it would be great if there was a magic wiring loom that you could order that was made to order.

What is the best online place price wise and delivery times for everthing complete fit out, i will be buying my sounder locally so just all the other stuff.

Cheers Phil

Unless you know exactly what you want Phil, on line quality can be very hit and miss. If you do know - just Ebay it. If you are a Brissy local, CECA is good for bulk cable but being in the trade you may have better industry contacts. The loom is only part of it - all the time consuming stuff still needs to be done and personally I prefer the all in one fused power distribution blocks that incorporate a negative buss - keeps it very neat instead of fuses up behind switch panels and bolts with a heap of terminals hanging off them. The ones from Jaycar are as cheap as anywhere else. I've also used the Baintech and Narva units without issue. If you want top quality for lighting, Hella Marine is pretty much the go to - just be sitting down with some of the pricing. Bilge pumps - big fan of Rule products just stay away from anything that incorporates an electronic float switch or monitoring circuit IMO. I much prefer a separate old school float switch.

A custom wire harness business now that would take off i really suck at crimping so i favor these pre made rigs just bung them strait in

I reckon there has to be quiet a few hours wiring in a basic boat fish finder, radio, nav lights, cabin lights, bilge, main switch geez just thinking about all that... that has to be 4-5 hours

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    these wernt expensive items the cable crimper was 60 off ebay, may not last for ever but sure does a good job
    ive only ever use those cheap multi use crimpers and tbh they are just junk and the heat shrink did more of the work holding it all together lol
    https://www.mydeal.com.au/yescom-8-t...nt=Very%20high
    These look identical to the ones I bought off ebay for my new boat fitout 3 yrs ago. I think they were about $37 delivered They are more than adequate for home use--You would never buy them as a contractor, but I've done a lot of crimping with them all the way from andersen plugs up to battery leads, and they have been fine. The lug sizes as shown on the dies are weird, just pick the one that will provide adequate compression for the size of lug you are suing.

I have this crimper and the plug just falls off, whats the key to buying a good crimper?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PK-Tool-...oAAOSwnJJfI1uT

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I have this crimper and the plug just falls off, whats the key to buying a good crimper?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PK-Tool-...oAAOSwnJJfI1uT

Buy a crimper that is just a crimper not a multi tool

Matt