Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fit Out has begun

Re: New Fit Out has begun

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    These look identical to the ones I bought off ebay for my new boat fitout 3 yrs ago. I think they were about $37 delivered They are more than adequate for home use--You would never buy them as a contractor, but I've done a lot of crimping with them all the way from andersen plugs up to battery leads, and they have been fine. The lug sizes as shown on the dies are weird, just pick the one that will provide adequate compression for the size of lug you are suing.
    good enough for once a year job ill have
    just sold my historic cars and used it on rewiring 10mm battery cables for the high torque starters they are 1.4kw starters and nothing caught on fire so all good lol
    11.1 compression ratio engines are fun to start

Now the hard decision where to mount and to go flush mount or not?

Axiom 9m +
    Furuno 620
    B&G VHF v60
    Fusion RA770
    IMG_5286.jpg
    IMG_5294.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Platinum Member

Find a ratchet crimper made specifically for insulated terminals, red, blue and yellow. Most good tool shops will have them. Multi-tools tend to not do any of the tasks they are assigned very well. A LOT of problems with extra low voltage terminations come from using the wrong tool to crimp, just "making do" by squashing with pliers , sidecutters , or those cheap ones can very likely give you a termination that will give problems in the future . I include the type in the link below in the "squashing" category

https://www.google.com/search?biw=14...871922886425_0

This is the type you want

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/2815548228...oaAoIxEALw_wcB

Ausfish Platinum Member

Flush mount has the huge advantage in a centre console of keeping all your plugs out of direct spray. And have the disadvantage of not being easily removable if you live in a theft -prone area and can't lock it up.

I'd play with them out in the sun first to see if the screens get "washed out" a bit by the brightness.
    If it's a problem I guess the best you could do is surface mount them vertically & fabricate a couple of hoods.

yes I know security is not a problem,

I Have had out in sun today and I do like how I can move it but it is a big unit on the mounts and the cables.

Im going flush mount and will modify if sun is too much of a problem. switches on the right hand side .

Cutting to begin
    Attachment 122173

I changed my mind just as was going to start cutting , going back to mounts

image0.jpg

hard part is done

Attachment 122179

Quote Originally Posted by Good_as_Gold View Post
    I changed my mind just as was going to start cutting , going back to mounts

image0.jpg
    Good Idea, you can always make a binnacle and flush mount later. When it comes to crimping I still prefer F type crimps, and heat shrink over them after. It's usually what's used in most machinery where there is vibration and I haven't had one fail yet.

You may be able to run some of those electronics off your bimini rails too just a suggestion, to clear up the console

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Good_as_Gold View Post
    hard part is done

Attachment 122179
    Having recently finished my own refurb project I'm keen to see how yours turned out. Did everything work first go or have you had to trace any issues back to the source?
    For what it's worth (given that you've already completed the wiring) I found that labelling every single cable helped immensely mostly for any future faults that may arise.