Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downes Marine

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Downes Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    I took my boat to Downes marine numerous times over the last 5 or 6 years and I wouldn’t describe him as a dealer? He really just came across as a service centre. He was definitely pro Evinrude and Johnson but didn’t have your classic dealer like shop full of the latest outboards on display. Anyway, might be time to upgrade to a Yammy 4 stroke.....
    That’s exactly what I did mate, put a 150 Yamaha replacing the 130 Evinrude. Loved my Evinrude and was going to take it to Downes and get the Gen 2 150 but with him shutting up shop, I didn’t know of another reputable service provider.
    Matilda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Downsy was different. When I spoke to him he encouraged me to pursue a different course of purchase as he knew he would never be price competitive against the big players around the place. He did sell the odd motor to a loyal band of followers but he was entirely busy enough (too busy really - usually about a six week wait to get your rig in) simply providing a quality service and repair facility. I can well imagine BRP trying to apply pressure by forcing a sales quota and him basically telling them to turn around and walk away. I'm not sure on the ultimate reason for the shut down but there had been whispers around for a long time that he was ready to give it away.
    Hi Scott i think you are spot on he really was ready to give it away he used to do all of my Etec trade checks and data downloads doesn,t really matter anymore unless you need etec service .

Hey Chimo, I have a 90 ETEC that Downes normally services. It is due it's annual service and now I see this thread. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated