Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Rewire - How to install Side Marker Lights ?

Trailer Rewire - How to install Side Marker Lights ?

Hi Team

Whats the process of tapping side marker lights into the wiring harness ?

I know it's that brown wire (7 core harness) that we are targeting ... but keen to know what the go is to access it ?

Thanks

Steve
    Sunshine Coast - Kevlacat 5.2

Re: Trailer Rewire - How to install Side Marker Lights ?

Smclaren thats a good question, for a long time i thought the easiest way was to buy side markers with 8 meters of cable already attached than run the wires up yo the plug

I think it may have been Scott he had a brilliant idea of running all the trailer lights to a electrical box bolted to the trailer than run your wire out to the plug the idea made a lot of sense especially if u have pets that will chew the light plug

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Yep. Don't. Joins are the single biggest failure point in trailer wiring. I run an individual cable from each light to a junction box on the winch post and then one to the car

I was guilty of doing a very stupid thing recently that I'm very embarrassed about. I promised my young grandson Maccas takeaway on the way home from a fishing trip, I was driving my large suv with boat/trailer in tow. " You won't fit this rig in that little driveway and around that tight corner Pa ," cried the twelve year old grandson. With one cranky wife sitting beside me telling me how stupid I was I gave it a go and yes you guessed it, jammed up against a fence and a steel clearance pole with a horn tooting multitude behind me. After extricating myself from the obstacles with a heap of damage to my ego and a lot of scraping and screeching sounds I emerged from the drive thru with my trailer mudguard hanging off and the trailer side light broken ( plus a lot of abuse by hostile customers and a threat of remuneration due to the loss of revenue from the Maccas attendant.) however a look at the damage on returning home revealed the mudguard being plastic had only been loosened which was easily fixed and the side light was easily fixed as it just plugged into the wiring harness on the trailer. I went down to the local Quintrex dealer ( the trailer was a Quintrex aluminium trailer) and purchased a new side light and went home and just removed the broken light and put the new one on. This is a long drawn out way of saying that I was very impressed by these plug in fittings which save you from mucking around trying to join the wiring.

Urgh those bloody marker lights I’m sick of them filling with water and shorting out, have tried all brands and no difference so ripped them off not the legal thing to do I know

Fuzz have u tried led markers they are supposed to be all resin filled and waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Fuzz have u tried led markers they are supposed to be all resin filled and waterproof

Yeah mate they all get with water in eventually

I may have to stick a lit candle inside a bottle for my markers..

Take a look at the Hella Marine Duraled series. They at least have a 5 year warranty. They are also available with cables that are a bit longer - 2.5 metres.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Take a look at the Hella Marine Duraled series. They at least have a 5 year warranty. They are also available with cables that are a bit longer - 2.5 metres.
    the only brand of lights i will buy these days

Scottar’s method is best - run wires from each light to a waterproof junction box, make the joins there and send one wire to the plug. Thats how my trailer is done.

I also second the Hella lights. I went thru a headache replacing my boat trailer lights with supposedly good quality waterproof LED’s only to have them get water inside within 12 months. Picked up a set of Hella at Whitworths in sale, 5 years guarantee.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

#Scottar .... that was the process I was ending up with as well ... bring everything forward and out of the salt. What type of junction box are you using ... got a brand or retailer that I can have a look at ?

By the way guys ... Im replacing a Hella LED tail light combo which crapped out !!!! Figured that I would rewire while Im at it.

I really appreciate everyones input.

Steve

Im surprised to see Hella ever even failing that is one of the best brands so i have read and leds supposedly last 100,000 hours or something ridiculously like that

Was thinking of something like this (assuming its not a "full bus" across all 6 pairs).

[QUOTE=smclaren;1675086]Was thinking of something like this (assuming its not a "full bus" across all 6 pairs).

Fine for most trailer wiring but from memory under rated for Electric Hydraulic brakes which usually have a 30 amp rating requirement, at least for a Hydrastar.

Edit, at least the ones from Jaycar were only 15 amps.