Classifieds

DOWN RIGER

DOWN RIGER

AUS $250.00
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is the reef really dying..?

How about this for a theory, the water gets warmer because of "global warming" doesn't the coral then just keep growing south in the right temperature, until someday, the Barrier Reef is off Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    How about this for a theory, the water gets warmer because of "global warming" doesn't the coral then just keep growing south in the right temperature, until someday, the Barrier Reef is off Sydney?
    Or if Walter Starck (I think it was lucky Phil who posted links to him years back) is correct and the bleaching is caused by prolonged periods of calm weather. Then we could in fact see the current reef see less bleaching due to the "more frequent badd weather" AND the coral blossoming further south.....
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Gee next you will saying there is no shortage of sharks !!!!

just joking ...... we all know research is linked to funding...... and scientist are as holy as priests

BigE
    Yes mate its all about the dollars ..a fun fact is that the salaries for Heads of Universitys in Australia now average around 1 million dollars a year (about double that of the PM) and their pay has been rising almost 10% per year the past 4-5 years....nice work if you can get it...

and yeah there is still the odd shark out there but I think they were all under my boat last trip....

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Noel, nearly 30 years back when I used to dive a bit around Julien Rocks off Byron and the Solitary islands there was quite a lot of both hard and soft corals there..obviously not the variety and density of up here in FNQ but still pretty cool...Coral Trout off Sydney...?...still a few years away i think..

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Or if Walter Starck (I think it was lucky Phil who posted links to him years back) is correct and the bleaching is caused by prolonged periods of calm weather. Then we could in fact see the current reef see less bleaching due to the "more frequent badd weather" AND the coral blossoming further south.....
    Lovey,not just that ,but remember we have gone through an extended El nino pattern in recent years where the sea surface temperature of the tropical pacific are warmer and causes more bleaching but now as we are forecast to revert to a La nina pattern those seawater temps will presumably fall....yet it seems so much of the research showing doom and gloom is based on year to year findings in the peak of El nino rather then a longer term results which take into account variances in water temps due to global weather trends over decades or centuries.....

Couple of pics from an overnighter late this week in some awesome weather..

This part of the reef got pretty well bleached the past couple of summers but is bouncing back well...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0596 (2).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	122313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0619 (2).jpg 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	122314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0612.jpg 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	122315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200924_175039 (2).jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	122316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200924_161724 (2).jpg 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	122317