Thread: Using cast net on Fraser Island

Using cast net on Fraser Island

Hi all,

Besides the jetty near kingfisher resort is there anywhere else worth using a cast net for live bait such as herring?

Originally being from NSW where cast nets are illegal, im still quite new so forgive the questions, is it worth trying on the surf side, ie eastern beach? Or even Sandy cape, where I mainly plan to use them?

Thanks in advance,
    Mat.

Re: Using cast net on Fraser Island

Quote Originally Posted by iTopCati View Post
    Hi all,

Besides the jetty near kingfisher resort is there anywhere else worth using a cast net for live bait such as herring?

Originally being from NSW where cast nets are illegal, im still quite new so forgive the questions, is it worth trying on the surf side, ie eastern beach? Or even Sandy cape, where I mainly plan to use them?

Thanks in advance,
    Mat.
    Well, before I try to help. Are you going to bother responding to all the help and questions asked in your previous post regarding reels to use on Fraser? Might just be me, be I get a bit miffed at people who ask for advice then don’t bother to respond when asked for more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by iTopCati View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
    Mat.

You need to take at least 3. Various drop for different application. Helps also to have both drawstring and non-drawstring....

Also what @gunna said

Matt

Do you mean this post posted on the 1/8th with 0 replies? See screenshot.

99% of the time I do respond if I see replies... of I have missed replies I apologise, thats not how I roll on forums like this.

Attachment 122079

So serious reply. I wouldn't go out of my way to take one. The only time I've used live bait on Fraser they looked like this
    FB_IMG_1444126265100.jpg

And we didn't catch them in a net. Sure if you own a cast net and have room take it but don't go out of your way.

Cheers Matt

Thanks for that, yeah I will chuck it in the car and see how I go. I might try at the jetty, I also have sabiki rigs.

Cheers Mat.

Check the law up there on sabiki jigs d own here nsw as u may know your allowed up to 4 hooks per line and shops sell sabiki jigs with 6-8 hooks

Sabiki jig if as successful up there as down here they would be the method i'd go put a bit of prawn, squid and pilchard find out which one there taking and bung it on all the hooks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Check the law up there on sabiki jigs d own here nsw as u may know your allowed up to 4 hooks per line and shops sell sabiki jigs with 6-8 hooks

Sabiki jig if as successful up there as down here they would be the method i'd go put a bit of prawn, squid and pilchard find out which one there taking and bung it on all the hooks

Yep,you are allowed a total of 6 hooks.

I used to live in nsw up untill about 5 years ago, I couldn't believe cast nets were legal.. I walked into bcf looking for a prawning net and light, he looked at me like I had 6 heads then directed me to the cast nets.

Oh then I go into fredys fishing (i think there is one neer Gosford in nsw) they litterally sell sling shots and ball bearings 🤣 Their footy teams may be shit, but living up here has its perks😉b

Cast nets are allowed in Qld thanks to our Northern tropical fishers who have to deal with crocodiles. That’s the only reason they are legal in Qld. Wading creeks with 50ft bait nets is a health hazard.

Thanks for that info Skipper