Thread: Carpets and staples on aluminium boats

Carpets and staples on aluminium boats

I’m in the process of replacing the carpet (and one soft ply section) in my aluminium boat.
    Was going to reuse the ply as most is still in good condition.
    I noted however that all the old staples used to attach the carpet are rusted.
    i considered using stainless staples but then there would be the issue with stainless and aluminium being in contact where they touch underneath, but even finding ss staples is difficult.
    Then thought galvanised staples might be a better option but again finding it difficult to find anywhere that sells galvanised staples. Unless I buy a very expensive staple gun to suit them.
    Just wonder what others have found worked for them, and where they got stuff from, I’m on the Northside of Brisbane.
    Or if using the contact adhesive around the corners is enough. I was going to weather proof paint the ply before carpeting. But I expect that just glueing would be a slow process as I have 13 sections to do and that could be a very long process if I have to wait for each one to finish before I can use the clamps on the next section.
    Any experiences/feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Carpets and staples on aluminium boats

Glue is the best, stainless staples are available, but, not from places like Bunnings, when you bend the carpet around the edges, gently heat it with a heat gun, bend it tight, then hold it until it cools down, or staple it straight away.

Carpets and staples on aluminium boats

I used artificial turf glue on mine and it was great and bought an ozito stapler and stainless staples from Bunnings
    This product is waterproof and doesn’t breakdown like that yellow crap and it’s strong
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Yes, that’s the glue I’ve got.
    Bunnings have Ozito staple guns, but no stainless staples to go with them ☹️
    I already have about of paint bubbling from incompatible stainless to aluminium metals, and thought the staples may cause the same issues, as they will be in contact with the aluminium on the floor.

My mates done this i told the not to i cringed watching it knowing those staples will fall out and end up in the hull and there were probably over a hundred staples

Best way is as Noel said than once the carpet glue is holding remove the staples

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I used artificial turf glue on mine and it was great and bought an ozito stapler and stainless staples from Bunnings
    This product is waterproof and doesn’t breakdown like that yellow crap and it’s strong
    Yep, works the best and gives you plenty of time to reposition. Does take a while for the odour to dissipate bit in a tinnie it's not noticeable. In a cabin it will be noticeable for a few weeks.
    In my tinnie I just folded the carpet over, laid the panels flat on the shed floor and put anything heavy I could find until the following day. Don't be stingy on the amount you fold over.

Carpet is now finished. I had a number of metal folding clips (Stationary item) which I used on the tight parts, and put bricks on all the main edges.
    No staples used or needed. Just left everything together overnight and when removed it was perfect.