Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: power pack or second battery?

power pack or second battery?

Greetings to all members. My question is whether or not relying on a power pack to re-start in a flat battery situation is a good idea? Or is a second battery the way to go. How reliable are the power packs? Are some better than others? The power packs are attractive because they are cheaper and have more uses. I have a 70HP Yamaha 4-stroke, relatively new. Happy to supply any other information, and thankful for any suggestions/tips etc.

Re: power pack or second battery?

10mm socket to remove the plastic flywheel cover + starting rope. Test it before you need it to make sure you can crank it, then you never have to worry about your backup being flat.

I'd go a second battery over a jump starter myself. I don't like unnecessary gear kicking around, and a jump starter would feel like unnecessary gear if I knew a starter rope would do the job. A second battery at least lets you separate house from starting and run your stereo without worry.

Really a do-what-feels-right-to-you situation though. Just don't do nothing

Thanks Mopheus. I am going to have a starter rope with me, but the motor's manual says the rope won't start the motor if the battery is dead, because the electric fuel pump won't work.

I'd think things would have to go very, very wrong for your battery to be so dead that it couldn't power the fuel pump. Most times that people have battery issues, it's just that the magic pixies are too tired to turn the engine over at a decent rate.

Perhaps one of these teensy tiny jump starters, with the idea that you'd use it just to power the fuel pump and pull start it yourself? Only 400g and quite small. The proper jump start packs are 10+kg and pretty bulky.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/certa-1...CABEgLqPfD_BwE

Twin batteries permanently being used and charged would be my choice over extra "gizmos" to take, that said, a decent battery used sensibly should rarely fail.

Thanks again Mopheus. That is good information.

Thanks Noelm. Interested in what you class as a decent battery.

Powerguy, here is a recent thread about similar issues, might give you more insight.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ght=power+pack

I think a flat battery reads about 11.6v someone correct me im probably wrong, at 11v should still be enough to power a fuel pump my 90 merc efi holds pressure in the fuel rail for months possibly enough pressure to bring her to life and get the alternator to kick in

If its a 4 stroke pull the cord slowly untill the no:1 piston is at top dead centre, make sure the key is in on position and give her a pull

An even easier way if your battery is low enough to turn the flywheel but not enough to kick to life, use the rope and get someone to turn the key while u pull the rope at the same time

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Voltage is only an rough indicator of battery health, it needs to be load tested to get any meaningful/useful information.

Thanks Dignity. A lot of good info there.

Thanks gazza2006au. I'm gonna remember that.

i carry the portapack , on two occasions when ive put the boat in the water , go to start and nothing , i have a habit off leaving the isolater switch on when last washing the boat and flushing , it kicks over and then no problems after that.. i originally got one because once a small vessel was stuck out wide and waved me down asking for a jump start, so ive had mine for 7-8 years now and still gives a kick , now they are better quality and smaller .

Thanks catshark. I think you’ve convinced me. These units seem to work well from what I’m gathering.

Free Membership

I opted for the jump starter kit. Way lighter, a bit cheaper, more uses and I've got very little on my boat that needs significant house battery draw. Everyone's requirements are different but for me the jumper option was the best fit. I've not had to use it anger on the boat but I've started a 6.0L Commodore from absolutely dead (not even central locking working) without any hassle so quite sure it'll fire up the Merc 115 many times if required.