Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: power pack or second battery?

Re: power pack or second battery?

Just a thought....after a lay off if the battery is low..you wont get off the trailer or the pier..and or you will know theres something wrong....once a motors run for a while..its a catastrophe type thing if it doesnt restart for battery reasons....apart from bad battery connections...

plan A ...service the motor as required..keep the battery(s) in good nick ....enjoy life..
    Plan A (1)..have a spare battery use it to run non engine starting functions..with a change over switch...

I use simple century non marine batteries... really basic approach.... but have done for years..look after them and change them...after a good number of years with any luck...

Hey Inver i have owned all old engines that were electric start there have been times im at home and the engine cranks beautiful fires right up than u let it sit 2 hours and it barely rolls the engine over on another restart attempt its actually happen more than once for me bloody bugger having to lift the battery in and out of the boat too

I always thought that last omph of power to start the engine the first time was the last built up bit of battery power in the deep cycle

I will look into what deep cycle actually means right now i always assumed it meant u could really drain a battery right down and it would still maintain starting power untill it caput unlike a car battery that kind of fades away

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Inver i have owned all old engines that were electric start there have been times im at home and the engine cranks beautiful fires right up than u let it sit 2 hours and it barely rolls the engine over on another restart attempt its actually happen more than once for me bloody bugger having to lift the battery in and out of the boat too

I always thought that last omph of power to start the engine the first time was the last built up bit of battery power in the deep cycle

I will look into what deep cycle actually means right now i always assumed it meant u could really drain a battery right down and it would still maintain starting power untill it caput unlike a car battery that kind of fades away

Deep cycle, things that don't require quick high amperage uses, like lights, sounders, even portable fridge freezers, usually labelled as 75amps, 100 amps etc. Not for starting outboards which require lots of amps quickly, these are the ones usually labelled 700CCa etc.

Thanks Dig i always thought deep cycle marine batteries were for starting, learnt something new

Thanks Dig i always thought deep cycle marine batteries were for starting, learnt something new

Quick way to ruin a deep cycle battery is to use it as a start battery all the time. There are plenty of so called hybrid batteries on the market that can be used for start or deep cycle but I've never found them to last that long as most of they use a certain amount of calcium which means that they really do not like to be discharged below 12 volts.
    Just think of a starter battery as the young ram, quick and hard, and a deep cycle as the old ram, slow and steady.

Thanks for that Dig as when my boats ready i would have gotta a deep cycle marine battery for a start and accessories battrry as i have done before

Thanks for that Dig as when my boats ready i would have gotta a deep cycle marine battery for a start and accessories battrry as i have done before

If you are only going to use 1 battery then you can use a hybrid but be religious in keeping it fully charged.

Thanks Dig all new to this whole type of battery always knew people ran 2-3 batteries but just assumed they were all marine deep cycle batteries

This will help me when i buy a battery soon

Cheers