Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: power pack or second battery?

Re: power pack or second battery?

I'd steer clear of the "Projecta" brand, I've had a few premature failures with them.

First one was dead in the box & wouldn't charge.
    Second one died from a high resistance connection at it's battery terminal.
    Third one's battery simply died after 2 Years.

I did try to save them all even going so far as to hook them up to a proper charger.

Having said that they're probably all the same & made in the same factory in China.

They are only around 20 Ampere Hours AGM batteries in a fancy box with leads & a charger.

I'll get another one but not a Projecta brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I'd steer clear of the "Projecta" brand, I've had a few premature failures with them.

First one was dead in the box & wouldn't charge.
    Second one died from a high resistance connection at it's battery terminal.
    Third one's battery simply died after 2 Years.

I did try to save them all even going so far as to hook them up to a proper charger.

Having said that they're probably all the same & made in the same factory in China.

They are only around 20 Ampere Hours AGM batteries in a fancy box with leads & a charger.

I'll get another one but not a Projecta brand.
    I think the OP was considering one of these Fed https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/pr...BoCLXAQAvD_BwE
    I could be wrong, there are a few different types out there

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I can't really comment on those tiny ones other than to say they look like they would have some serious short comings due to their physical size, high CCA sure but AH would be down for sure.
    For my use I need a few AHs, got a 12V compressor, 12V jack, 12V rattle gun and thinking of getting a 12V polisher.

Thanks MikeC90. I have decided to get a jump starter. They seem reliable and will do the job for me.

Thanks Fed. There is a lot of brands and models. I think I'll just go local and see what they have in store.

You’re much better off buying a battery box and another marine battery and jump leads. Those jump packs are a waste of money from my experience. Too little power and longevity is poor

Thanks Paul071978. I'll think about it.

Im not sure if those tiny jump start packs are lipo or li-ion batteries but i have read u need to disconnect it as soon as the engine starts, possibly to do with the high power going back into the pack from the alternator

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Free Membership

Quote Originally Posted by yugrewop View Post
    Thanks MikeC90. I have decided to get a jump starter. They seem reliable and will do the job for me.
    I've got this one and it's worked 3/3 times I've needed it so far (all on cars). Only 6 months old so can't comment on the longevity other than to say I've only recharged it once to date and I checked yesterday, still 100% charge after sitting a few months. Even if it only lasts a few years, can't really complain for that sort of money...

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adv...p-starter.html

I guess it all boils down to the size of the boat & what electronics you run ...... a good dual battery setup with isolation mostly eliminates a situation where you have no means of starting your motor …… specially if you run 2 hybrid (dual purpose batteries) . Even if you drop a cell in your starting battery - you can flick over to the second battery & it has the cca ability to fire up your motor.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've often wondered about those small small jumper packs, claim very high CCA but only 10 or 12 amps all up. At that size are they really a one shot wonder, would you manage to use it two or 3 times before needing recharging. Considering the cost of them a second smaller battery might be better off.

Thanks NAGG. My boat is a Fishabout 481 with a 70HP Yamaha 4stroke. The electronics I run are a Lowrance Hook4, small gauges and a radio. There is also a bulge pump and a standard set of nav lights. I do not anticipate spending long hours outside fishing or at night - it is a general recreational boat. It is hard to find out what the CCA specs are on the jump starter units.

Free Membership

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I've often wondered about those small small jumper packs, claim very high CCA but only 10 or 12 amps all up. At that size are they really a one shot wonder, would you manage to use it two or 3 times before needing recharging. Considering the cost of them a second smaller battery might be better off.
    The one I linked above is claimed to deliver 8+ starts of a large capacity diesel from a single charge. I did 3 starts of a 6.0 L petrol on a single charge and it was still showing nearly full charge afterwards (spread over the course of a few months too). It would start a small outboard 10-15 times on a single charge no worries. Can also be recharged on the fly using the boats 12v system once running, same as the primary starter/house battery.

Thanks MikeC90. Actual use by someone is a good recommendation.

Thanks gazza2006au. That's good info.