Thread: Looking for experience with 22ft Bayliner Tropy and/or 4.3MPI Mercuriser Inboard ...

Looking for experience with 22ft Bayliner Tropy and/or 4.3MPI Mercuriser Inboard ...

Hey all, this is a serious request coming from my brother who will be in the market soon.

He's come across a couple of 22ft Bayliner Trophys, one of which has the inboard.

He's also been unable to find much on that particular boat model that isn't US-based or written.

So, a general call out to current and previous owners for your genuine opinions of the boats - and to the same for the 4.3MPI.

The Merc info can be as specific or general as you like as neither he nor I have ever owned or really been around inboards.

Thanks in advance everyone. I look forward to hearing your comments / suggestions.

Regards, Steve A.

Please note that the photo came from a random set on Google Images - so it's just for clarification of the type.

.58818486_421408178687225_2266164254497308672_n.jpg

Re: Looking for experience with 22ft Bayliner Tropy and/or 4.3MPI Mercuriser Inboard

The only Merc inboard I have had was a 494 MAG HO (8.1L) and that engine gave me heaps of dramas, I don't know whether or not it is built similar to the 4.3MPI engine though, but I swore off inboards because of it. Spent a small fortune on mine trying to keep it running, there was always something wrong with it. It could have been just a problem motor? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Re: Looking for experience with 22ft Bayliner Tropy and/or 4.3MPI Mercuriser Inboard

Seen a few around at times but they were a big hit in WA for some time, maybe send Ranmar a msg, he may have had experience in one. The only thing I recall was that around 2005 or there abouts that Bayliner dropped their name from the hull (still made them) but improved hardware etc. and marketed it as a different stable.

I personally would look for an outboard powered one, there's plenty around, most will have a 2 stroke Mercury on them, unless you can find a newer model (which will not be cheap) most info is US based, because that's where they are made, lots were imported when our dollar was good and people got them cheap to "flip" here and make a few dollars, they are very cheap in the US.

I had a Reinell 18.5ft with a Volvo 4.3 which is basically the same but it was not EFI. I actually loved the inboard and I think it suits the boat style more than an outboard. It gave me no dramas and it's simplicity reminded me of the cars I had in the 80s and 90s. Corrosion in the exhaust cooling system was always a concern however as the concept was mostly purposed for freshwater lakes. I do think a 22 footer would be underpowered though. They are heavy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk