Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest project

Re: Latest project

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    You had me at Hello ........ I just want one , have a reef king and a spare sav winch motor and gearbox.

Care to share any detail on the mounting and electronic controls?

BigE
    I mounted the gearbox to a 5mm alloy plate. This attaches via set screws to two fairly heavy (20x10mm) stainless steel bars that were tig welded to the frame once assembled on the shaft for alignment (spool removed first). The winch shaft gets modified and the motor shaft made and welded together first. I used a stainless bolt (with the head cut off and a slot so it could be unscrewed and removed later - 5/16 UNF I think it was) screwed into the existing grease nipple thread as an alignment mechanism. The shaft had the corresponding hole drilled right through it to allow removal of the alignment pin and then a thread for a grease nipple tapped into it. The mount for the electrics box is also a 5mm plate secured to the motor mounting plate via a piece of right angle and the gearbox using some plastic spacers I turned up.

Electrics are pretty basic. I didn't bother with a speed control and it only winches up - down is just sorted via the drag. I have used a 100 amp solid state relay from Jaycar with the necessary heat sink and a couple of diodes to protect it from back emf spikes generated when the power is cut. I have fitted two switches in series - one a standard toggle and the other a typical round red emergency stop switch to trigger the relay - should prevent accidental engagement by bumping. I have used commercially made winches with a similar electric set up a few times - just need to keep your concentration so it gets shut off before you pull the rig into the winch. I intend to run at least 30 feet of shock leader so I'll get a fair warning. I also intend to make a boss with a manual handle for a worst case scenario - 4 allen head set screws and the whole electric component slides off the shaft.

The winch is just the standard spigot mount. Col had a rod holder mount made in alloy but it was the wrong angle for my holders so I made one similar out of heavier gauge stainless pipes with a 5mm stainless plate at the junction to allow for diameter differences. The top pipe has a high density poly bush inserted that was turned to fit. I didn't want to make any new holes in the gunwale and the boats rod holders are fully welded ones - stronger than the glass they are in. The gunwale would flex when it was loaded so I made up a 5mm alloy backing plate as large as could be fitted and sika bedded it under the gunwale then fitted set screws through the lot to secure the holder.

After winding the braid on, I decided I wasn't happy with the existing roller set up on the front so made up the new one with a stainless ring and a Ronstan sailing pulley. If this doesn't turn out satisfactory I will probably look at an overhead mounted one but I'm not necessarily keen on the extra leverage it puts on the gunwale.

Noice very noice !

Very nice..Don't be leaving your boat unattended at the ramp Scott, I heard there's a bunch up there that would have that off pretty damn quick !!!!
    What ramps to you launch from Scott ??? ....

Col

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Very nice..Don't be leaving your boat unattended at the ramp Scott, I heard there's a bunch up there that would have that off pretty damn quick !!!!

Col
    I use to think that about my downrigger 2 seconds to slip it out and bang 4 boats off in all directions u wouldnt know who done it

These days a downrigger is like an ####### everyones got one so i dont stress lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post

Col
    Haha. Never happens Col. Always someone with the boat even if we stop at a servo. Way too many light fingers around.

EE33BFBF-3546-4025-A49A-08313D708112.jpgMy fabricator mate knocked out a dozen of these, just waiting on favourable conditions to get into em.

Those are pretty looking electric reels kemel do u know what motors are running in them? To pull up a blue eye 6kg? Wouldnt u need quiet a strong motor pulling up maybe 6kg from 500 meters i would imagine is a task

I try to pull 8lb up on the downrigger and cant get it up quick enough

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Those are pretty looking electric reels kemel do u know what motors are running in them? To pull up a blue eye 6kg? Wouldnt u need quiet a strong motor pulling up maybe 6kg from 500 meters i would imagine is a task

I try to pull 8lb up on the downrigger and cant get it up quick enough

Gazza, Not sure re reel motors.
    I did go on the trip when we trialed the prototype. They have zero issues pulling up 3 bar cod at a time, of 20 odd kg each.Or 1 at 40kg.

Lifting 40kg geez must be quiet a motor

Quote Originally Posted by KEMEL K View Post
    EE33BFBF-3546-4025-A49A-08313D708112.jpgMy fabricator mate knocked out a dozen of these, just waiting on favourable conditions to get into em.
    Nice looking reels Kemel. I too would be interested in what motor if your mate will give you the make and model.

No worries, Ill chase it up for you guys.

Ok guys ive seen a few fish caught in this deep water fishing but what's the attraction in having a electric reel winding in your fish from way down deep I know the fish from these depths taste good and there very big but there got to be more in it that a big fuel bill and a long boat ride over the horizon,is it not knowing what you have caught and what it is what's the attraction .

Just something different and another skill set to hone. It may look like it's as simple as dropping a big sinker over the side and hauling in fish but to produce good fish with consistency isn't all that easy. I've done it on rod and reel but these days the body is literally too broken to do it. It's not that far where we are fishing for snapper, pearlies, tuskies etc to run out to the depths that hold bar cod and the like. If the shallower species aren't playing it's another option on a good day.