Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best spinning reel for tailor under $200

Re: Best spinning reel for tailor under $200

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Mostly just to annoy my alvey weilding mate.
    Blah blah fkn blah!

I've only ever caught one GT off the eastern beach, saw one caught off Waddy and one caught at Sandy Cape. All three were babies. I've seen one horse on video and it came off the beach.

Was really surprised at the lack of structure out from Indian and Ngala when we took the boat up.

I only have one small spinning reel and that is a Penn Spinfisher 2500 liveliner and I would not have any concerns targeting Tailor with it.

It can hold about 240m of 0.2mm line and with the 6.8kg of drag would be more than adequate for tailor and even other larger fish. Either the Liveliner or just the plain non Liveliner version would suffice, with added bonus of being wave resistant if the reel gets dumped in a wave.

As NAGG said there are a heap of reels out there that can handle large Tailor, this is just my reel of choice that I would use. You can get the plain Spinfisher VI for about $160 delivered and about $175 delivered for the Liveliner VI version (E-Bay).

Best spinning reel for tailor under $200

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Blah blah fkn blah!

I've only ever caught one GT off the eastern beach.......

I have caught one on the eastern beach. Just over the 1m mark, guesstimated around 20-25kg.
    The light spin gear was needed.....to catch the live tailor used for bait. A 7” Alvey stopped the gt.
    I caught a few small gt up north at cape Melville, maybe 40cm at largest, on the same aero spin reel and 9’ rod. I couldn’t imagine catching them too much bigger on that gear..... but it was rocky to all sides of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alvey geez i aint used one of those since the early 90's use to catch 30-40cm mullet on it was a good reel i couldnt be picky back in those days i had to use hand me downs and the alvey was one of them

Use to tie 2 or 3 fishing rods to a bmx frame and ride from bonnyrigg to lansvale and back every saturday and sunday when i was 12-13 some times i would ride over to the chipping norton side

Wish we had todays technology back than as in drag advancements on the egg beaters

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Alvey geez i aint used one of those since the early 90's use to catch 30-40cm mullet on it was a good reel i couldnt be picky back in those days i had to use hand me downs and the alvey was one of them

Use to tie 2 or 3 fishing rods to a bmx frame and ride from bonnyrigg to lansvale and back every saturday and sunday when i was 12-13 some times i would ride over to the chipping norton side

Wish we had todays technology back than as in drag advancements on the egg beaters

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    I still use alveys

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Sorry for the delay, I posted the thread, read some responses a few days later, I meant to respond. And I got side tracked..🙄

Anyway I took your replies into account, visited freddies fishing, looked at a few reels and decided on the Okuma Distance Surf 60.

Once again, I meant to reply, but I have barely been able to scratch myself between work (bloody shift work 🙄 ,The Missus and planning for fraser. Oh and that thing called sleep People talk about..😴

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Replied with out quoting please ignore reply, not sure how to delete replies

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Just wondering where you are fishing for the GTs at Fraser. Are you casting from the beach?
    Sorry I missed your question Sandy Cape or indian head, I will be using my saragosa 8000 with poppers,.. really unsure exactly where yet I havnt fished fraser before so I guess it depends on conditions etc..

Anyway if you see my previous reply, I went with a daiwa surf distance 60 for spinning tailor..

If you find time when you get back post a report I'm keen to know about the GT and if you get a result

Cheers Matt