Thread: Composite LPG Bottle

Composite LPG Bottle

I need to put an LPG bottle on the duckboard to run a bbq and like the idea of a composite one to avoid rust stains. Has anyone used a composite LPG gas bottle and are there any problems with them?

Re: Composite LPG Bottle

common on yachts. never had issue. nothing more durable or impervious to rust as a bunnings exchange gas bottle but. id go the 4.5kg. smaller, lighter, run oit of gas before rust becomes issue

Thanks, I've been using the little bunnings bottles, not worried about the rust structurally just sick of trying to clean rust rings off any surface they're put on.

Be easier, cheaper and probably more convenient to just make/buy a small timber/plastic gizmo to put the bottle on, you can buy small kind of lattice squares at most hardware stores, or even look for a plastic pot plant that the bottle fits in, even better, an 8.5KG bottle fits just nice in a milk crate, stops them tipping over, will prevent rust, and doubles as a seat when not in use.

Thanks but there's an existing draining locker which restricts me to the 5kg bottles and makes any sort of plastic stand tricky. The stainless is pretty but probably a bit excessive to avoid a few rust rings.

spray the bottom of the gas bottle with a few extra coats of paint before u put it in maybe, and a super thin layer of rubber on the bottom so it doesnt slide around and scratch

A Mate of mine, coats the under side of his bottle, with that lanolin grease, seems to be impervious to being washed of with salt water and protects the bottle like nothing I've seen before... It's amazing stuff...........

Col

Lanolin is kick ass stuff for rust i had some painted new steel out in the rain some parts i sprayed with wd40 other parts i sprayed with lanolin, the wd40 rusted in weeks the lanolin lasted 4 months

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app