Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auxillary Motor mount

Auxillary Motor mount

I have an Australian Noble Super V 625 Centre Cab. Moved to Tassie last year and find that boating seems to be a go by yourself proposition down here.

Therefore I'm looking at mounting an auxillary on the starboard side swim platform. To do this I'll need to affix 2 x alloy angle brackets to the horizontal platform which I can then bolt 2 alloy plates to to hold the engine mount (block of wood).

The problem is the swim platform only has one 150mm round inspection port in the middle and it would be difficult if not impossible to get bolts in to hold the brackets. Considering whether epoxy and blind rivets (or screws) would be enough to hold the brackets or whether I should just try to find a welder. The motor will be a 9.9 four stroke off my tinny.

Advice appreciated.

Re: Auxillary Motor mount

You would be pretty brave to rivet a mount for an auxiliary motor, it needs to be bolted, welded or both.....personally I think auxiliary motors are a waste of time, but, if you do get into trouble, and the motor actually starts and has enough power to propel the boat, it's better than nothing.

Thanks Noel. Looks like most boats in Tassie have an auxillary. I've always had a second boat along offshore in Qld, and the waters down here in Tassie are more remote and potentially dangerous so I'll go with it and get a welder sorted. I think 9.9 would push it along ok and be better than paddling.

Just a couple of things, make sure it will actually reach the water when needed, and it has enough power to make headway in a bit of breeze and chop, plus make sure it's the same as your big motor, as in, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, so you don't have to fool around with different fuel.

Ausfish Platinum Member

You,ve probably thought about this, but just remember that, as you are mounting it outboard of the centre line, it is prone to leaving the water as you roll away from the side it is mounted, if it isn't deep enough. As well, it will want to lift with pitching up and down. This is where most small tinny outboards fall down with this apploication--they are short shaft. So make sure the prop is in the water as least as deep as the prop on the main motor when it is down, for a start.
    So yes, you'll be looking for a welder, and a painter afterwards, unless you bolt through. Downfall of ali boats, unfortunately..

You said everyone has auxiliries but whats the population with twin outboards? (Same hp)

Being so remote i would imagine tassie is a place to know people rather than to rely on thin rescources, up here i have heard of guys waiting 5 hours for a tow at captain cooks bridge in sydney when marine police are stationed right near it

Maybe look around for salvage companies along the coast of where u plan on boating see if they offer 24h service they'll likely do towing services of broken down vessels

There are likely resources around you just u may not be familuar as main land rescources

I have never been to tassie but sounds scary to boat down there you're open to bass strait if on the south coast you're open to drifting to antartica if you are not equipted or prepared

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

https://onlineoutboards.com/collecti...outboard-motor

a few outboard brands did small capacity 25 inch leg outboards, combine it with a yacht prop designed for more torque and your set.
    standard props lug/load up a engine when running at displacement speeds and the yacht props give the same thrust in forward and reverse

sometimes its enough to keep you facing into the waves while awaiting a tow or rescue most times it will get you home slowly

Years ago I bought a small brand new 4HP Tohatsu (same as the Mercury) and a inflatable dingy for a trip to the north to be use as a tender from getting to where we were more anchored offshore to the beach, and I needed to put in 5 hours of run time, to break it in, anyway I had the idea that I would mount it onto my duckboard as some where to stow it and also to use as an emergency motor in case I needed it for that purpose.

Anyway it was mounted towards the outer edge of the duck board and probably not that deep in the water, so one day I thought that I would use up those 5 hours to just cruise around on the 4HP, well it was a flat sea and a beautiful day so had a few hours to kill. Bear in mind it was a 26ft boat, anyway it did push it along at about 2.5 knots to it's credit, but as soon as we hit some very small waves the boat would wallow and the prop would cavitate, It was still way faster then I could move the boat with boat Ours. But from that experience I learnt it would require a much bigger motor with a much longer leg and would also need to be mounted deeper especially in any sort of average sea conditions, in any sort of run out or run in tide or facing a headwind we would have been moving backwards and it would be useless.

It's funny how things change over the years.
    I always had auxileries on my boats years ago, it was the thing to do. Especially with unreliable 2 strokes of the day. But things have obviously changed with modern motors and there reliability and of course the mobile phone and epirbs.
    I always had one, mainly because I did a lot of trout lake fishing as well, had the aux. linked with a bar to the main motor, so I could steer the same.
    In all honesty, I don't think I ever had to use it in the ocean, was kind of a security blanket, but in all honesty, it wouldn't have helped much in the swell out wide if I ever had to use it. But in the late 70's and 80's, The aux. motor was the norm, bit like our pie warmer oven now I guess

Col

Mercury make a great little 9.9hp they call a Kicker in the USA the americans love it

We have a good veriety second hand for auxilery engines u can pick up Yamaha 9.9hp High Thrust Extra Long Shafts 4 strokes for about 500-700 they are a unique market as they can realistixally only be used on yachts and as auxilirys as they dont have a tiler handle

I had an aux on an older 20 footer, it was on a drop down spring action bracket system and held my 6hp merc I had at the time, so you could keep out of water or drop to how deep you needed. Sure they are still sold, but would depend on how you have the choice to connect to your transom. Similar to this but was think mine was more robust and quality

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTBOARD-AU...-/232214411832

It did work the 2 times I used it and never cavitated, but a 77 model 200hp Johnno, I had a reason for it. Never do it again with a new 4 stroke well serviced.
    The third time I shoulda used it coming home from Broughton Island and ran out of fuel 5 k's off home. I didn't, and stupidly threw my 12 litre fuel for the aux motor into my main tank and made it another 2 k's and the got a tow home, DOH. Lesson learn't could have gone 15 k's on aux at 3-4 knots , made it 2 k's on a thirsty 200 sloshing 12 litres around.

Cheers
    Muz

Quote Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
    I had an aux on an older 20 footer, it was on a drop down spring action bracket system and held my 6hp merc I had at the time, so you could keep out of water or drop to how deep you needed. Sure they are still sold, but would depend on how you have the choice to connect to your transom. Similar to this but was think mine was more robust and quality

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTBOARD-AU...-/232214411832

It did work the 2 times I used it and never cavitated, but a 77 model 200hp Johnno, I had a reason for it. Never do it again with a new 4 stroke well serviced.
    The third time I shoulda used it coming home from Broughton Island and ran out of fuel 5 k's off home. I didn't, and stupidly threw my 12 litre fuel for the aux motor into my main tank and made it another 2 k's and the got a tow home, DOH. Lesson learn't could have gone 15 k's on aux at 3-4 knots , made it 2 k's on a thirsty 200 sloshing 12 litres around.

Cheers
    Muz
    Haha bugger Muz a 200 2 stroke must be like pouring a 20L jerry can down the sink

Gazza, yeh it was mate, run to Broughton fish, troll around back to port and hit the marina refill at over $2 a litre, like twenty years ago, anchor off the Shoal Bay Country club for a few beers and hear the bands the do it again next day , lol, And Broughton is only like 12 k's from the heads. Tank was about 100-120 litres .
    Muz

Ausfish Platinum Member

Americans call all auxiliaries, "kickers" just their terminology.

Had one on my old 4.5 tinnie. Got me out of a potentially messy situation one night - a couple of hundred metres of someone else's braid had successfully wrapped itself around my prop while sitting in the current with the prop spinning. Without the auxiliary I would have had to sit on the outboard leg in the dark to cut it off. Agree with the above - it will need to be bolted or welded. I re-enforced the transom of the tinnie with a 10mm alloy plate that was bolted on the outside through the two main transom beams and hung the engine off the side of the transom. It was just long enough to use being a long shaft but not long enough it could be run at high revs as the prop was partially behind the transom.