Thread: Built a spare 60L fuel tank for the boat.

Built a spare 60L fuel tank for the boat.

I will be going to Agnes Waters Qld. with the missus for the 1770 meet and greet trip in about a month and hoping to get out a few times to the Barrier reef (about 65Km out to sea), whilst I have a reasonable sized inbuilt fuel tank I would hate to get there and find that I need more fuel. So decided that rather have portable fuel cans lying around I would build myself an extra 60L fuel tank.

Got a sheet of 3mm Ally 5083/H116 and cut it down to size, had to take it to a sheet metal worker who put the bends in, however found that this ally temper needs a much wider radius in it and it had developed many thin cracks in the 90 degree bends.

I set the TIG to 150A and just quickly blasted the bend corners inside and out, that caused the cracks to melt into each other and fuse solid. Put in a fuel filler cap and also a 3/8" NPT threaded Boss with a 90 degree elbow to a 1/2" fuel line plus with a tap, added 4 angles to the tank to screw it in place in front of the passenger seat. This tank will double as a foot rest for the missus. Thinking of gluing a bit of carpet to the top so the missus can put her feet on it in the summer.

Just need to have some sort of clip added to the seat to stop the tap from rubbing and becoming loose. Tested the tank up to 8PSI as it is a small tank and it is about twice the pressure that most manufacturers do, so no leaks.

So when I get to the reef, I will just open the fuel hatch near the base of the tank and just let the spare tank drain into the main tank next to it, which you can see the cover in the last pic.

I will be taking the boat to the mechanics on Wednesday to see if the problem I had with the motor going in to limp mode can be simply and cheaply fixed, otherwise this will have been a futile attempt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Built a spare 60L fuel tank for the boat.

Looks good Ed no fancy torch work but it looks like it will do the job it would have saved u a bit of cash too diy

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks, all up cost in materials was about $75 but spent quite a few hours on it though making sure it all fit, the corner you can't see is angled up to allow for the shape of the floor and hull side angle next to the chine.

Nice work Ed. So the tap on the hose is just sitting up beside the tank in that photo?

What rig and what is the underfloor fuel capacity?

Nice work there Ed...

Col

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Nice work Ed. So the tap on the hose is just sitting up beside the tank in that photo?

What rig and what is the underfloor fuel capacity?
    Thanks guys, Yep at the moment the tap is just sitting there so I have to make a clip to hold it away from the tank to stop it bouncing and rubbing, my 18.5ft boat has a Optimax 150HP XS Pro motor (2 stroke) and I think that the tank capacity is 150L but not entirely sure.

I take it that neither of you smoke !

Nope, definitely not!

You'll want the 200 litres in the bunkers so nicely done.

Hello Ed,
    nice work, wish I was handy like that.

Some constructive comments;
    1. That outlet at the bottom of the tank has safety issues, if anything happens to the hose, you will have an uncontrollable spill of petrol. That is why all petrol tank specifications insist on fittings on the top of the tank only. I know that it is in the open and that you would soon be able to plug the leak, but any spilt fuel is bad. Double hose clamps are a good idea.
    2. As you allow the petrol to run by gravity to the main tank, 60litres of petrol vapour will be displaced out of the main tank and into the bilge, hello electric bilge pump, 12V fridge, etc. nice to meet you, Kaboom!!!!

By definition, if you are using this tank you will be somewhere a long way from help.

A better method is to rig the plumbing so that the motor can drink straight from the reserve tank, I know, extra plumbing with its own hassles, risks and expenses.

If you are careful and allow proper ventilation and time for the vapour to dissipate you should be safe.
    Care and patience prevents most disasters.

I have seen a fuel tank in a very well regarded brand of boat leak from where the filler hose connected to the tank.
    We noticed petrol dripping from the bungs at washdown!!!!!
    The two big hose clamps were very loose, I guess the worker was having a bad day on the production line.