Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pride half cabin rebuild

Pride half cabin rebuild

Hi all, well after following many threads on others doing rebuilds , thought i might have a crack at it myself . found this vintage half cabin and was the third in line to buy it , so after the first two buyers didnt show up with the chedder, made the sale and now ive got many months of blood sweat and tears to follow, love boats but have zero fibreglassing experience, but that wont put me off, its going to be fun.
    so the boat is a Pride ? cant find a nameplate but suspect its a early 70s president but its 19ft instead of 21ft. but looks different to a 19ft montego so dont know .
    interesting it has the constant deadrise all the way through, could be a bit of a bertram style hull like the bertram 20 .
    transom and stringers will have to be redone . new paint , fab up a cuddy cab and bang on a older two stroke 150-200hp range.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Pride half cabin rebuild

took me ages to learn how to upload, can any one tell me how to rotate them at what stage .

also look at this big hole in the side . must have been toilet

Welcome to the fold Cat
    Great to see some snaps of your wee project........
    It's not for the faint hearted, the weak, or those with tight monetary constraints,, or so they say..
    There will be tears, temper outbursts and possibly the odd thing thrown !, but it's a great learning experience all the same
    Look forward to your "rebuild thread" Cat...

Col

PS Not sure how to rotate the photo's, mine just come out as there taken.
    Noel's pretty knowledgeable on all things boating, but don't ask him about photo orientation
    Na, someone will help you out there I'm sure.. ( sorry noel, couldn't resist that)

cheers also any eagle eyed viewers can tell me , there are three stringers but shoudnt there be one each on the edge towards the outer chines . making up 5 , trying to determine if somebody has already been in this hull and played around

not sure which way to go , most say to do the transom from the inside , but im leaning to go the outside , still more research to do .

the old girl maybe 1975 -78

Jeez shes a big hull Cat you may be finished before me lol 3 stringers piece of cake mine has 7 hardest part of the boat and most time consuming

Once u do a transom its easy to do the second time haha

Have u chosen resin and types of cloths?

I'll enjoy the ride thats a great looking hull

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

With that bow rail u can relive the titanic once shes on the water Cat LOL

my brother in laws says they wanting the boat back from gilligans island funny as , but yeas that bow rail definetly has to go,
    probably gonna go with poly resin and as for cloth not sure yet ill just read up on what you and others Giddy/Ed etc use and do the same .
    might check out trojan fibreglass, you seem to
    those stringers are around the 350-400mm wide mark so yeah , no bulk heads in the hull ? ill put a couple in maybe.

this wont be a fast build as funds permit kind of thing , but im looking for a result within 12-15months

Yeah wish i done mine in poly resin cash wise it adds up really quick going epoxy

Its a nice hull lets see what u do with it :-)

had a bit more play around today , cleaning up edges and getting fixtures out, gotta love those flat blade screws , hard to get out , well say hello to my little grinder friend .. i determined that someone had allready had a play with the stringers and floor , the middle stinger is solid wood with at least three knots missing , looks like recycled wood to me and different color flowcoat etc .. would have loved some power shears today to trim up old fibreglass but the tin snips did a great job
    going to do the transom in three layers,plywood individually glassed with scarf joints staggered (thanks Ed) just have to work out what to order now .

Hey Cat a lot of blokes will say avoid watching youtube videos but if u pick the right videos u can see the whole walk thru process plus a video of the lads testing the boat afterwards there are a few on there search haines transom repair

cut out the transom skin today , looks like transom ply was a two piece fit and butted up together, and suprised to see the ply didnt go up all the way maybe two thirds , this had a peice of 1' be 2' to brace the back and glassed over , i can allready tell my effort will be more involved than this ...also a few silicone grubs inside the wood to fill up holes speaks for itself ..

top left corner had a butt join near where the tie down hook was , thinking water intrusion here and on the top was just bogged up allowing more water,,
    the skin seem to peel away very easy in top and you can see where a fraction of glass was fighting

Wow that transom is really soaked isnt it