Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pride half cabin rebuild

Re: Pride half cabin rebuild

Cat will u be reusing the skin? Reusing the skin if its in good condition saves a mountain of work as long as it isnt swish cheese

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

yeah im reusing the skin , was a good 4-5mm in thickness so that will save time and coin , had the diamond cutter going with the vacumn nozzle chasing eating up the dust , so glad i bought a respirator mask the dust is very fine .

Good idea, yeah i had to grind down my transom talc bog mix today we had no wind and my backyard looked like fog the dust was so fine it wouldnt sink to the grass took 15mins to clear

Cat heres that 1708 cloth in australia i contacted the bloke a week ago he said its good to use with polyester resin

https://fibrefinish.com.au/collectio...-bias-mat-600g

yeah that combination mat would work out good dollars wise , thinking i could order just the CSM/1708/ and woven.

Q. for the final layer what would i need to lay in order to keep the fairing process more easier?

I was going csm 300g/ double bias 400g/ csm 300g/ woven roving 300g and repeat

things ive learnt so far, removing the transom core is hard out labour intensive, no wonder i see those blokes on youtube , they are using a 5 inch with a chain saw chain on it , im still chipping away with a chisel and mallet , still 25% more material to remove .

been focusing on the hard top lid , filling holes with epoxy and having a play around with resin and matt and sanding and filling and practice for the bigger jobs . the orbital works well and saves time , best buy was a electric file sander man that thing rips thru very handy tool.

hard top lid nearly ready for painting . thinking about the brush and tip method one part polyetherene , wonder if two litres of paint would cover three coats , hard to work out coverage for a boat .

Common Cat, you know it's " Photo's or it's not true "

Interested in your Hard top project, sounds interesting..
    Removing the core from a transom is fun work Yeah !....
    I have nothing but respect for anyone doing there own fibre Glass work,,,, I'm aware of my limitations......

Col

how did u go about your transom did u remove the outer skin if u did and your having a hard time getting the wood out of the left joint get a drill and drill it all out use a decent drill bit or u can get a decent grinder 6" and use a disc on that u can use the diamond disc like that one i was ripping my hull to the shitter with that will hog out the timber

If your talking about the big mass of plywood right across the transom get a circular saw and adjust the cut depth just so u dont cut thru the inner skin than cut slots all across the ply wood up and down left to right than take a chisel and hammer it into the cuts the ply will just tear off

Another way u could hog out the mass from either inside or outside is use a router not a trimmer but those loud aggressive 2 hand router use a bit you'll think will work set the depth and just buzz right over the wood and zip it out

Once your down to the last 1-3 verniers use a grinder with a flap disc to sand down to the skin

Cat any pics of the hard top? Remember it takes my epoxy 48 hours to fully cure to be able to sand it unless its a glue or fairing mix that can be sanded after 24 hours

If u get stuck with anything like the ply transom just duck in here and ask for a easier way its how i learnt and continue to learn

yeah i underestimated the grit of hogging out the transom , i can truly appreciate the strength of marine ply , i didnt do enough score cuts so has slowed me down a wee tad... also i was fouling up the discs with the epoxy so didnt know it takes a while to cure. all good its a learning curve hope to have a crack at the hardtop this weekend with my new spraygun and blow a bit of etch primer around . pics to follow

Yeah thats the downside i too learnt about epoxy is the 48 hour cure time its a real time consumer i wish i had gone polyester as there have been many days i wanted to smash out a second and third session in one day

Epoxy takes 48 hours to go sandable hard

Polyester takes 4 hours to go sandable hard

If u arnt in too deep supplies and job wise u can still change

When u do the scores in the transom use a 25mm chisel if u hit the chisel in with a hammer it can either dig into the ply deeper or spin the chisel around and it will cut along the single layer of ply called the vernier

When i just pulled mine out i attacked the plywood 1-2 verniers at a time, if u try pulling off 9 verniers in one hit thats a whole sheet of plywood you'll be there for ever

Treat removing the ply like pulling a lettiuce apart 1 skin at a time

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post

Q. for the final layer what would i need to lay in order to keep the fairing process more easier?
    Whatever you choose, I suggest using peel ply over the top on your final surfaces. I found it excellent to help leave a flat, neat surface which required minimal sanding before paint.

Cat how are u getting along now?

should finish hoggin out the transom tomorrow , bought a router to do round edges for stringers and cabin etc in prep for laying glass . glassed filled a big hole and came up a treat so good practice there , and bought a kitchen scales to weigh out the resin instead of winging it. i can get away with two peices of 18mm marine ply and reuse the old skin as well to save on glass .