Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New motor height dilemma!

Re: New motor height dilemma!

So where was the plate when you were at fast cruise with the motor trimmed up / back for faster running?

Or is the hull behavior such that you cannot trim the motor up when running.

I was half expecting the motor to trim automatically as you accelerating based on advertising ..............
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    I was half expecting the motor to trim automatically as you accelerating based on advertising ..............

dealer has not set it up with the required boat type - one of a couple of things to get sorted this week. I have been on another boat that was set up correctly and on that boat it does work as advertised

So where was the plate when you were at fast cruise with the motor trimmed up / back for faster running?

still under water and will get on the water later in the week for more video when the rains stops in Sydney

Maybe your transom is 20" your pod is compensated for 22" and they sold u a 25" engine?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Maybe your transom is 20" your pod is compensated for 22" and they sold u a 25" engine?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    the motor that was 1st fitted when new and removed was an XL 25"

it looks like i will be heading down this road

https://bobsmachine.com/product/vert...sion-brackets/

I will hopefully get on the water on Thursday after having the dealer correctly setup the 'Itrim' function and take some more video with the motor trimmed out.

Here is my mates just finished, it is a 16 mm plate. The boat performs much better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thank you looks good nice and clean with the same sort of additional height I am looking for

from the photo am I right with:

1. 4 new holes for the aluminum plate.

2. existing transom mounting holes re fiberglassed.

3. new motor mounting holes drilled.

did a shop do this for him? is yes is there a ballpark of the cost

thanks
    Stevet

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Here is my mates just finished, it is a 16 mm plate. The boat performs much better.
    almost looks like a shorter engine should have installed from the start!

Quote Originally Posted by stevet View Post
    thank you looks good nice and clean with the same sort of additional height I am looking for

from the photo am I right with:

1. 4 new holes for the aluminum plate.

2. existing transom mounting holes re fiberglassed.

3. new motor mounting holes drilled.

did a shop do this for him? is yes is there a ballpark of the cost

thanks
    Stevet
    Steve,
    1. & 3. Four new holes lined up for motor brackets.
    2. Original holes used to mount the plate with countersunk bolts.
    He did it at a local boat yard, lifted motor off and back on, around hour and a half. Ally cost $100 from a mate in the business.
    All other costs are basically bartered.

Hi

thanks Dignity and PM sent

Chimo
    HTML Code:
    I was half expecting the motor to trim automatically as you accelerating based on advertising ...........
    The dealer hadn't ensured the motor and the head unit had the same firmware - so that feature hadn't been turned on. It has now been done and I will also be interested to see how it goes.

I took a chance to drop in and see the mechanics who serviced the old motor - they put me onto a local supplier of aluminum and I will be seeing them over the next day or 2. The local boys would be happy to fit it up etc - so bonus there either way I go - the plate or the Bob's transom extender.

The beauty of the plate is that I know the boat doesn't need the extra 5" ( too easy to have fun with that - but I couldn't find other words- so ok - no jokes) and can make it more custom.

In Sydney It's meant to rain heavily over the next couple of days into early next week so the on water test with the I'trim working will have to wait.

cheers

steve

Haven't you got a rain coat?

I got out yesterday for another run.

For this test I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a RX17 and ran it rather than the RX15. The difference between the props was considerable.

The 15 gave ‘throw you to the back of the boat acceleration’ and maxing out at around 6200 rpm which is near the rev limiter and was less inclined to hold a lower plane speed

With the Itrim activated the attached video was taken. You can see the Itrim working at the start of the video- and it is effective.

With Itrim on the motor maxed out to 5750rpm and when manually trimmed it would get to near 6000rpm. When turning at max rpm there was some light cavitation

The boat liked the 17’” prop a whole lot better – it would stay on the plane around 3300rpm which was from memory around 40kph (will take notes next time) and at 5750 was 69kph (43mph, 37 knots) via gps.

I am not sure whether there will be a whole lot to be gained by raising the motor using a plate. I will put on the 17 and put on spray deflectors on the transducers and have another shot.

cheers

Looks pretty reasonable as it is.