Thread: Bowriders for fishing ?

Bowriders for fishing ?

I'm looking for feedback on using a Bowrider as primarily a fishing boat.
    I've just sold a 4.6m fibreglass halfcabin with 50hp Yamaha, which was a good boat for taking wife out, storing stuff in cabin, etc, but it was a heavy boat and not a lot of space for fishing, or casting. And wife isn't that keen on boating anymore.

So I had been looking for aluminium CC or SC around 5m with 60hp+.
    However mate of mine has 5.1m SC plate boat, which I thought was great, but still got exposed to elements and a little wet. Especially as a passenger with nothing to hide behind.

So I'm now thinking a Bowrider (5 to 6m) may be a good compromise/solution. Quintrex Freedom's or similar. With Outboard.
    Primarily for fishing/squiding/prawning, myself plus 1 or 2, with the occasional grandchildren trips. Mostly bay stuff and over to Moreton from Scarborough/Burpengary, and maybe out wider in reasonable weather.

My thought was that the bowrider would offer a little more protection from the elements when needed. And with an infill in the middle of the bow area, used as a raised deck area similar to SC CC boats. But cushions can be installed again if/when needed for seating.
    I know I'm not going to get the walk around boat chasing fish like with a CC but i expect that would be similar with a SC or any boats with bimini anyhow. Previously only getting flathead, whiting, etc, but wouldn't mind targeting some bigger species.

Anyone had or using a bowrider and can comment on usability/modification for fishing use. Ideally I'd like high sides, underfloor fuel tank, rear entry door, live bait well/kill tank, or is floor space limited.

Re: Bowriders for fishing ?

I have fished out of a freedom sport for hundreds of hours great boat plenty of room but its limited fishing room while anchored u cant use the bow for fishing u just get tangled, we have fished up to 5 people its gets quiet cramped 3-4 is ideal

The storage under the bow seats are auto siphoning but if u stick a plastic bag in the drain hole and put some water in the compartment it will double as a large bait tank

Your limited with the small dash as to how big or how many fish finder gps units u run

Driving its quiet a good boat sitting on the main seats, sitting up front u get quiet thrown around, sitting on the back bench seat u get absolutely drentched

I wouldnt say its the ideal fishing boat but it is more of a family boat without protection u can keep an eye on the kids up the front

My mates have the 5.3m 115hp that engine has heaps of power for the hull its towed on a single axle braked trailer

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Platinum Member

it's a boat that always says to me--" I had to compromise to please my wife, who is clueless about boats" . Neither fish nor fowl, all the weather protection of a CC, without the fishability of same. And sounds like to don't have to keep your wife happy with it any more. You'll all be sitting down the back anyway, in any sort of chop, because no-one will want to be wet/bouncing hard, as gazza said. For a family boat, particularly with small kids, ( grandkids?)you are much better off with a cuddy, they can get out of the sun and wind and go to sleep if needed.
    Either get a CC and get properly wet, or get a good cuddy design. FC's might have more deck room , but you are right forward getting the worst ride, and still not getting a lot of protection from the low screen.

Making fhe assumption you want to set it up with an electric motor and removable platform for lure casting as a primary fishing technique, they are a good compromise. If you want to drift fish you can get the boat to hang side on through use of a sea anchor if someone is wanting to fish from the bow. About the only layout that could provide anything similar with weather protection would be a centre cab but it won't have as much room forward.

My brother bought a 5.2 Clark (something or other, don't take notice unless it is something I'm interested in) bow rider. It was a compromise due to wife's input. It is stable, not a wet boat inshore, he hasn't the courage to take it offshore and I would not be happy taking a bow rider through the bar. His wife sits up front reading a book while he is down the back flicking SPs. The bimini is a PIA, it constantly gets in the way even bait fishing. When the wife isn't there he still keeps the bimini up and he is comfortable flicking from the front with the infill while I try from the back. Did I tell you what a PIA is, especially when one if us gets a good fish on and a net is needed or the fish wants to run rings around the boat.
    Is it workable, yes. The bimini needs to be easily removed if family is not coming, space is somewhat compromised bit it is all workable if you are prepared to put/pull the bimini down every second trip and even then get rid of the straps and go for a rigid set up as I did with my tinnie. Although come to think of it I haven't had my bimini up for over 3 years.
    The short answer is you can make it work but like any compromise it takes work.

The good thing about the freedom sport u get that big back bench seat and a full deck up the front u can roll a swag out onto and crash for the day or night while anchored canopies are far from the best on that particular model tho the canopy really only covers the two main cockpit seats if u sit at the back or up in the bow you'll cook like a chook in the oven and i have came home redder than a tonato many many times peeling up to 3 times over!!!

Imo the freedom sport is more of a day out cruising the rivers and bays, swimming, towing etc...

If u want a boat solely for fishing and protection for your kids broaden your spectrum

BOAB Boats hire out some really wicked boats maybe look at hiring a couple of those before purchasing

I have a 475 (2003) quintrex freedom sport. My experiences are,

Its a real all rounder. Not the best for anything, but can do a bit of everything.
    I use mine in lots of different ways, rivers, lakes, bays, trolling, bait fishing, lure casting, tow a tube once in a blue moon.

I have a bimini and clears , but i dont really use them, it basically converts it to a small cabin boat but limits room a lot. Would be ok fishing 2 up on a cold day.

I find it a lot better to fish out of than a cuddy cabin, but if out somewhere that chops up i have a lot more confidence with a cabin.

Pros.
    Usability of boat area.
    Acess all round the boat, even if slightly less room between the dash's compared to a side console access is still pretty easy.
    Versatile.
    Casting platform and elec motor up front.
    Light to tow and easy to handle.
    Doesnt draw a lot of water.

Cons.
    Can be wet depending on chop and wind direction.
    Not a real heap of storage room, but enough.

Im sure you could add livewells etc.
    Its a matter of working out what suits you.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I really appreciate the input.
    Looks like a bowrider will do the job, with compromises.
    I'm still looking at the pros and Cons. And in particular protection from elements vs fishing ability seem to contradict each other.
    Even offshore fishing boats only have rear fishing access. Centre console without a cover is great and allows movement all around, but I'm not a fan of the wet, and would prefer 3 seats, and not great for grandkids.
    Half cabins are also restricted and I sold mine because it was 80% for wife/kids but that's need is now 10% of use.
    And Front consoles certainly have good rear space but still cant chase around the boat and can be rough riding when up the front.
    Having a bimini limits movement around deck regardless of style of boat. And I'll probably have one regardless of style chosen.
    I found it really interesting to look at usable space for the different styles. And stuck these together.
    Attachment 121985
    Attachment 121986

Finny u can get bow covers from the USA they seem to like them over there they look a bit dicky but im not sure how practical they would be in australia with a head sea with waves coming over the bow, in the US they seem to have calm water more level where as we get big swell and chop

One of these lolAttachment 121987