Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airmar TM165HW feedback wanted.

Airmar TM165HW feedback wanted.

Hi all I was going to stretch the budget and pull the trigger on a thru hull SS175 HW, but I had a quick chat with Moose this arvo and he suggested a TM165HW,,
    My sounder is a Simrad NSS Evo2, so my understanding is that without extra $$$ for an optional box to drive the SS175HW at 1000 wats the basic unit only puts out 600 watts anyway.

So the TM is an option worth looking at and about half the price.

Can anybody with one fitted, or experience with them give any feedback about them please ?

They look like a chunky build and I'm also concerned how the spray/rooster tail out the back goes ? Or is that down to the install ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Airmar TM165HW feedback wanted.

Here is a comparison between the HSTWSBL and TM150
    The tm150 is a bit wider than the New TM165
    TM165 is about 8mm longer than the tm150
    Attachment 121892

Spray shields is a boat by boat and installation thing for sure,

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

NSS evo 2 pumps out 1kw when connected to a 1kw transducer, despite what the specs say.

Has been measured by one of the electronics experts on The Hull Truth.

If you doubt, go onto THT and send a PM to member Abbor.

see post #7 on this thread:
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-...=#post10723458
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    Here is a comparison between the HSTWSBL and TM150
    The tm150 is a bit wider than the New TM165
    TM165 is about 8mm longer than the tm150
    Attachment 121892

Spray shields is a boat by boat and installation thing for sure,
    Thanks again Moose.
    There’s some more boat bits to investigate
    Given my fishing grounds in the bay and not too far offshore I’m guessing the TM will be plenty good for me. I’ll check that comparison
    I just tried but the attachment won’t open for me ? I’m on a mobile though.
    Cheers.
    As soon as my tax return- I mean boat budget comes in I’ll be in touch for one of these two I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    NSS evo 2 pumps out 1kw when connected to a 1kw transducer, despite what the specs say.

Has been measured by one of the electronics experts on The Hull Truth.

If you doubt, go onto THT and send a PM to member Abbor.

see post #7 on this thread:
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-...=#post10723458
    Thanks Moonlighter that’s very interesting. Maybe the 600 watts in the Simrad blurb is an RMS value and THT fella was measuring a peak output ?
    Anyway, good to know.

hopefully easier to see on this link

https://moosemarine.com.au/a-size-co...airmar-tm150m/

www.moosemarine.com.au

I have a TM-260BL which is a large 1kW transducer, as it is connected to a Simrad NSS8 which only does 600W PPW, from what I have been told the transducer will only get the 600W PPW from the unit but the images will be a clearer than when using a smaller transducer. I have never really had to worry about the spray from it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I have a TM-260BL which is a large 1kW transducer, as it is connected to a Simrad NSS8 which only does 600W PPW, from what I have been told the transducer will only get the 600W PPW from the unit but the images will be a clearer than when using a smaller transducer. I have never really had to worry about the spray from it.
    Thanks Ed good to have some feedback like that.
    How does the screen/signal go at speed ? What I mean is do you get a good image at speed ?
    I guess one of the main reasons for me thinking of a transducer upgrade is to improve the image at various speeds.

I got my hstwsbl transducer adjusted ok I guess. I works fine at rest. It seems to work at fast speed, but at trolling speed I have to trim the engine out to get a bottom reading.

That’s what got me interested in a thru hull in the first place - I thought it would be less affected by turbulence at all speeds ?
    Did you attach a photo ?
    I got moose’s attachment now but Eds photo won’t open for me ?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    hopefully easier to see on this link

https://moosemarine.com.au/a-size-co...airmar-tm150m/
    Thanks Moose, how is the watts calculated at the head unit/Simrad ?
    If I do the basic 600 watts divided by 12 volts, there is no way the transducer cable runs 50amps.
    Im guessing the transducer uses higher voltages with all the frequency manipulation from the head unit ?

the simrad im not to sure on. but the Raymarine i know is running 1000v

www.moosemarine.com.au

Ahhh ok that makes sense

Guys,

Want a hand?

Don't get RMS power confused with peak power which is 8 times rms.

The sounder pulse is only for 1 millisecond ( 1 thousandth of a second) or so, so you're not going to get 600 watts from which to start attempting to calculate volts and current figures. If the set was indeed running 600 watts continuous then you could and the fuse required would be 600/12 = 50 amps.

But it obviously doesn't.

Look at the instrument fuse. It'll be very low rated so there's the first indicator that you're dealing with pulses of energy and NOT continuous energy.

"Real" power is a lot less.

e.g. 1000 watts RMS. (1kw). Pulse length = 1msecond. = 1/1000 secs

"real" power = RMS x pulse width. = 1000 x 1/1000 = 1000 x .001 = 1 watt equivalent continuous.

So a 8 kw sounder (P-P) comes down to 1kw (RMS) comes down to 1watt or so (depending on pulse width). Very low current at 12v.

There will be more power required to run the screen and all the fiddley bits.

So the in-line fuse will probably be 3 -5 amps or so.

That TM165HW transducer is a single channel one on 200khz only, eh. The H for Hi freq (200khz is high for the yanks in penetrating deeper water) and the W for wide beam width (30 degrees).

It has a Q of 2 which means its a broadband (CHIRP) transducer with a passband of 100khz.

That gives a range resolution of 78cm (ability to separate and display targets close together) irrespective of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronje1 View Post
    Guys,

Want a hand?

Don't get RMS power confused with peak power which is 8 times rms.

The sounder pulse is only for 1 millisecond ( 1 thousandth of a second) or so, so you're not going to get 600 watts from which to start attempting to calculate volts and current figures. If the set was indeed running 600 watts continuous then you could and the fuse required would be 600/12 = 50 amps.

But it obviously doesn't.

Look at the instrument fuse. It'll be very low rated so there's the first indicator that you're dealing with pulses of energy and NOT continuous energy.

"Real" power is a lot less.

e.g. 1000 watts RMS. (1kw). Pulse length = 1msecond. = 1/1000 secs

"real" power = RMS x pulse width. = 1000 x 1/1000 = 1000 x .001 = 1 watt.

So a 8 kw sounder (P-P) comes down to 1kw (RMS) comes down to 1watt or so (depending on pulse width). Very low current at 12v.

There will be more power required to run the screen and all the fiddley bits.

So the in-line fuse will probably be 3 -5 amps or so.

That transducer is a single channel one, eh.
    Hi Ronje1

All help is almost appreciated
    I believe the “new” transducer TM165HW I’m looking at is a chirp version at 600watts.

I did already understand the difference between peak and rms- when I did the theory (about 30 years ago) rms was thereabouts 0.7 of peak power.
    But yes the timing in milliseconds you mentioned is all relative to the power to, I understand that as well.

I asked earlier how it was calculated just to understand it all a bit better, so thanks it all helps.

I did see your previous posts with sounder information. I should have a look later.

I think I’ll probably go with this tranny as most of my fishing is under 100m of water so it should be good.
    80% in the bay less than 25m
    20% outside I usually don’t venture to far from the coast at 50-60m at the most.

And the step up to the SS175HW 1KW is almost another $1000, but meting a thru hull there will (hopefully) be less or no issues with position/placement like the TM transducer, decisions decisions.

Jamie

Hello Jamie.

I've put up a bit more info which crossed with your reply so have a look at the extra.

Its a single freq transducer on 200khz only,eh.

What freqs do you use on the Simrad and what existing transducer?

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Ronje1 View Post
    Hello Jamie.

I've put up a bit more info which crossed with your reply so have a look at the extra.

Its a single freq transducer on 200khz only,eh.

What freqs do you use on the Simrad and what existing transducer?

regards
    Thanks again

In the data sheet it says (TM165HW) there’s 100Khz band width (150-250Khz) at a 30 degree cone angle. Chirp compatible.

Current transducer is the basic HSTWBL which came with the boat when new 4 years ago. I believe the tranny is selectable 83 or 200 Hz at 300watts ?
    I do switch between both frequencies to see what the difference is but I think I get a better overall result from 200Hz.
    It does show a pretty good bottom image but I don’t think the target separation is as good as it could be.
    I do occasionally see small arches but that’s probably because I’m rarely over fish ha ha.

Ideally I’d like to get better target separation in the water column while on the move. That’s why I was looking at a transducer with a bit more grunt.

Attached is a screen shot of the results on a good day. I probably could have reduced the gain - but I was busy