Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying a secondhand boat with a Yamaha 2-stroke 2011 115hp

Re: Looking at buying a secondhand boat with a Yamaha 2-stroke 2011 115hp

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    no they wont, things devalue to a point and just sit there

prices are dictated by what outboards sell for new, 4 strokes will never get cheaper and with inflation will increase year on year
    this means items in good condition will still hold a value and wont be worthless

second hand 4 strokes still go for money and have been around long enough to show your theory is wrong
    Plenty of $3000-$3500 115hp 2 strokes sitting on the market doing absolutely nothing rarely will anyone pay that money these days

The 115hp 2 strokes that are selling are under $2200

Some shops are still gripping at prices honda 50hp 4 strokes 1995-2002 mosels for $4500

Lets be realistic this is what i have actually sold in the past 7 years and what price i took,
    mercury 50hp 4 stroke 1998 $1850,
    honda 45hp 4 stroke 90's era $1800
    Honda 50hp 90's era sold in summer $2500
    Honda extra long shaft 35hp $750

Those are my genuine sale figures for sydney

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Still got pics of tge engines Steve, they only sell for what a buyer is willing to pay

Forgot about the yamaha 9.9hp 2010 four stroke that sold for $1000

The 35hp honda was 25hpAttachment 121884Attachment 121885Attachment 121886Attachment 121887Attachment 121888

agree to disagree

If they are so cheap why didn't you buy one for your boat ? a 115 2 stroke would have been ideal
    you could have bought two for what you did mucking around with that etec and 90hp

your talking about 25 year old 4 strokes and some odd weird sizes
    certain capacities will always sell 15-25 50-70 90-115

you probably would have got more if you didn't post all your woes in rebuilding them on here.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    agree to disagree

If they are so cheap why didn't you buy one for your boat ? a 115 2 stroke would have been ideal
    you could have bought two for what you did mucking around with that etec and 90hp

your talking about 25 year old 4 strokes and some odd weird sizes
    certain capacities will always sell 15-25 50-70 90-115

you probably would have got more if you didn't post all your woes in rebuilding them on here.
    I did Steve i bought the mercury 90hp 2009 four stroke for $2000

< My opinion ..... leave the dinosaurs be - look to buy a newer 4 stroke motor ....... Sorry but 2 bangers can be much more problematic than a 4 stroke - so that's where I would start as a newby

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    < My opinion ..... leave the dinosaurs be - look to buy a newer 4 stroke motor ....... Sorry but 2 bangers can be much more problematic than a 4 stroke - so that's where I would start as a newby

Chris
    I don't know about that. 2 strokes are much simpler so there are less things to go wrong. Have a look at some of the product review sites and the problems people are having with their 4 strokes. Also there have been serious corrosion problems with some 4 strokes. And remember 2 strokes are only 'dinosaurs' because the government banned them. There would still be strong demand for them otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I did Steve i bought the mercury 90hp 2009 four stroke for $2000

He is asking why didn't you but a carby 2 stroke if they are as cheap as you make out. You claims in other words are far fetched and your actions seem to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    He is asking why didn't you but a carby 2 stroke if they are as cheap as you make out. You claims in other words are far fetched and your actions seem to back that up.
    His post kind of contradics what is being said, cheap 2 strokes 115hp rarely come up under $2000 for later models where as the older models have $3000-$3500 price tags my defence was that is why they are not selling

He replied why didnt i buy one 2t 4t that is unclear.. but if i paid 2k for a 90hp 4 banger why would i buy one of the rare 2t for $2000?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    His post kind of contradics what is being said, cheap 2 strokes 115hp rarely come up under $2000 for later models where as the older models have $3000-$3500 price tags my defence was that is why they are not selling

He replied why didnt i buy one 2t 4t that is unclear.. but if i paid 2k for a 90hp 4 banger why would i buy one of the rare 2t for $2000?

No he asked why didn't you buy a 2 stroke 115hp if they are as cheap as you claim. And your 90 hp 4 stroke wasn't running and is not powerful enough for your boat..

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Yep, I'd listen to the advice above.
    I had a shiprite inspect mine, also took it out myself for a good run, still got burn't on rotten insides.
    These things cost way to much to repair, ask how I know, LOL far more than what there worth in all honesty, unless it's that dream hull you've always wanted,,, or your capable of doing MAJOR work,,,,, let it slide......
    Find something that you can get inspected, kick the tyre yourself, actually get out in it and test it properly....
    your decision of course....

Col

Col
    Blacklab genuine question -how did you get burned on rotten insides? Did Shiprite miss it or was it something else.

I bought a boat 12 months ago and got it inspected, but I’m always worrying that they might have missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sub good condition yam 140hp 2 strokes still sell for around 3k plus. The larger v6 outboards don’t sell for much if any more due to high fuel consumption etc

No he asked why didn't you buy a 2 stroke 115hp if they are as cheap as you claim. And your 90 hp 4 stroke wasn't running and is not powerful enough for your boat..
    I give up mate your nit picking... good luck on whatever journy u are on may god allow u to pick many..

I don't know about that. 2 strokes are much simpler so there are less things to go wrong. Have a look at some of the product review sites and the problems people are having with their 4 strokes. Also there have been serious corrosion problems with some 4 strokes. And remember 2 strokes are only 'dinosaurs' because the government banned them. There would still be strong demand for them otherwise.
    Newer 2 strokes have all the engine management systems that 4 bangers have - but yes if you are talking pre oil injection models , they are simple & yes if you are mechanically minded you can work on them like you would on the old lawn mower . Try telling everyone that engines like the ETEC / FICHT / Optimax don't have problems ……. I've been around boats long enough & have owned a couple of 2 strokes & 4 x 4 strokes …….. the amount of times I've experienced or seen starting issues with 2 strokes is insane . Nearly every 2 stroke owner has their own little starting procedure - pump fuel , choke , turn the key . wait 5 seconds , turn key - for 3-5 seconds., take off the choke , turn key ( & hope that it fires up) . My experiences with the 4 strokes - turn the key & it starts.
    As for corrosion - flush the motor well after each trip & maintain the motor - their shouldn't be corrosion issues

Now I know there will be some that will shout me down ….. but I bet there are many others nodding their head.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

This is what I worry about. The weird procedures of operation. I will admit to being a dreamer for the new G2 from Evinrude though. I do like simplicity but not at the expense of reliability. The weird procedures will be taken out by the fuel injection on the newer models I think.

I don't believe for a minute that the new 2-strokes from Mercury or Yamaha or someone will be finicky like the older tech.

Either way, the advice is to think more of replacing the motor (hence a lower price to compensate for this) rather than trying or aiming to keep it running. Perhaps only use it in creeks !!

I appreciate all the replies. I think you all have good experience and knowledge. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Smakka2301 View Post
    Thanks guys,

I appreciate your thoughts.
    It is a long way away I agree that seeing it is important.

Cheers.
    If you're really desperate for this boat, Do you know any truckies in Toowoomba, you might be able to hitch a ride north and get picked up again on the way back.