Thread: Cruise Craft Rambler Rebuild

Cruise Craft Rambler Rebuild

Around 2 and half years ago I decided to buy an old boat and do a rebuild. Seemed like a good idea at the time and there were periods during the 2.5 years that I did question whether it was actually a good idea but now I have finished I'm glad I did.

When I bought the boat it was basically a bit of a wreck, still had the original floor (masonite) and stringers, transom. All were rotted out, I knew this when I took it on and was looking for a hull in this condition to tackle so I would know the structural integrity when I had finished. The motor was cactus and the trailer was structurally sound but needed new "bits".

So I got into it, ripped it all out, replaced transom and stringers, new floor, cut off the cabin and constructed new gunnels and redesigned the splashwell to be a bit more functional. I did all the work but knew my limitations when it came to the painting (no gear, no suitable space, unpredictable humid weather as I am in FNQ and basically no idea!) so I had a pro do that.

The motor has now been fitted and pleased it has all worked out, it rides well, cruises nicely and has a top speed around 70km/h which I wasn't really aiming for, but has some punch! Below are a few before photos, a few in the middle and how she now looks.
    IMG_2449.jpgIMG_2454.jpgIMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2624.jpgIMG_2866.jpgIMG_2877.jpgIMG_3905.jpg
    IMG_4400.jpgIMG_4422.jpg61596835152__0989D515-9158-4E1E-A918-BDE14B2BE01E.jpgIMG_4419.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Cruise Craft Rambler Rebuild

Well done she looks pretty sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful job..
    Now to get some use out of her. There's something about the old CC hulls, not perfect, but great lines...
    Congrats..

Col

Thanks fellas and yeah Col I do like the lines of the old hull. The upturned bow looks more pronounced with the cab gone and when it was upside down the flare looked huge.

That looks bloody awesome

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

WOW sterling effort and smick choice going the yellow, certainly have bought the old girl back to the present , yeah now the cab is gone the , like you say the clinker lines and upturn bow gives it a good look . i thought this was a reef raider , is the rambler a bigger version , congrats

Thanks Catshark, from what I have learned and the dimensions on the original brochures seem to agree, the Rambler hull was the same as the Reef Ranger but had a different top and cabin configuration

I also was a bit nervous about the yellow but in the end looks I reckon

Wow, hell of a job....she came up a treat..

I think you made the right call on the paintjob..it looks like a brand new boat..

Are you going to put some glass or clears on the console to keep the spray off..?

I went down the ramp at Mission to see if it was worth getting out today and could see the larger mackeral boats sitting about 15 km's out on the Mackie grounds but it was just a tad knarly for us...

You must be a bit frustrated with the weather lately as well wanting to get your new boat out but we may get a shot on the weekend if the winds drop off..

Yeah Disorderly, I still have a few things to do including a canopy built off the console to the back. Once that is in I will look at some spray protection.

The weather has been very frustrating this year, the Mackerel are out there but the wind and the rain are keeping them out of my boat. Hopefully the next months is better and I can get through the break in period for the motor so some trolling can be done!