Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Carport For The Boat?

Portable Carport For The Boat?

Im now considering making one of these and draping some tarps over all sides

Looking to build it for a couple hundred bux just the frame i'll get a quality tarp for the top seperatly

Will use a dehumidifier from gumtree and if i have to i have a spare window air conditioner to use in summer if i havent finished the boat by than

Getting a little pee'd off with the weather i have all this motivation but when its sunny i have no supplies than when supplies come its bucketting down

It leaves me sitying on my hands just cant do anything for weeks at a time

If i can find a way of building this carport it should double as a spray booth

I just looked at some 48mm round steel but it only comes at 6.5m lengths i need 8m was looking at hiring a pipe bender to bend the roof section

Whats your thoughts stick it out how i have been or build the carport?

The flat roof carport pictured is $1000 i dont want to spend thatAttachment 121807Attachment 121808

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Portable Carport For The Boat?

Inquired about some rio mesh 6x2.4m 3 pieces local delivery $150... fmj it would cost them no more than $6 in diesel from a concreting bloke

Was ganna make a barn type "n" shape and run the tarp over the top

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Inquired about some rio mesh 6x2.4m 3 pieces local delivery $150... fmj it would cost them no more than $6 in diesel from a concreting bloke

Was ganna make a barn type "n" shape and run the tarp over the top

That seems pretty fair to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most delivery charges are just a flat rate, you get a bag of concrete delivered, or 50 bags, it's still the same price, steel mesh is shit stuff without a big flatbed, I know, I have picked some up in my Ute! Make sure you attach it to the ground good, it will catch a lot of wind, and our westerly season is nearly here, and a 100kph Westerly will blow something like that out Sydney Heads......damn shit weather now, Southerly wind, heavy rain, all my stuff for my laundry got rain blow in on it last night, so that's pissed me off, hate working with wet stuff, I might take a couple of photos and do short post about the "fun" I have had.

its not just the diesel

rego
    wear and tear
    the guy doing the trip is earning $30 per hour
    plus profit on top

Where I am you would only get 2 sheets for that price and you would have to pick them up yourself.

They wanted like $360 for the rio mesh and delivery quiet expensive i really need it to be portable

Bunnings sell the cheap 6x3 carports for $250 i think that may be the go and get a quality tarp with a few years warranty

Trying to anchor it will be another problem my dogs will chew the rope so may need to use chain

those 6x3 portables should be the go , tarp over that should do the job well .... if i had lil doggies that liked a chew i would get a six pieces of chain say like 6mm chain small stuff , cut each to 1 metre long and bury one end attached to a long peg or a buried ice cream container concrete pad with attachment. next apply some nylon rope to other end of chain up to the top of frame and back down again halfway to a flat piece of timber with two holes in it , one for the dead end of the rope finish of a knot, and the other hole is for the working part of the rope and push -pull the rope and wood to get tension like the old fashion tent ropes that used to be around
    carports are good in so many ways , especially some privacy from nieghbors and stuff

Yeah i think thats the way im fanna go Cat6m will only just cover the hull and pod, 3m wide is plenty the hull is only 2.07m wide

Should keep it out of the rain

They wanted like $360 for the rio mesh and delivery quiet expensive i really need it to be portable

Bunnings sell the cheap 6x3 carports for $250 i think that may be the go and get a quality tarp with a few years warranty

Trying to anchor it will be another problem my dogs will chew the rope so may need to use chain

Righto now I’m with you, I thought it was $150 for the sheets and delivery.

what about a greenhouse frame ....6x3m about $400 if you cant find an old one...down to the ground protection..weatherproof and very little construction..

Im now considering making one of these and draping some tarps over all sides

Looking to build it for a couple hundred bux just the frame i'll get a quality tarp for the top seperatly

Will use a dehumidifier from gumtree and if i have to i have a spare window air conditioner to use in summer if i havent finished the boat by than

Getting a little pee'd off with the weather i have all this motivation but when its sunny i have no supplies than when supplies come its bucketting down

It leaves me sitying on my hands just cant do anything for weeks at a time

If i can find a way of building this carport it should double as a spray booth

I just looked at some 48mm round steel but it only comes at 6.5m lengths i need 8m was looking at hiring a pipe bender to bend the roof section

Whats your thoughts stick it out how i have been or build the carport?

The flat roof carport pictured is $1000 i dont want to spend thatAttachment 121807Attachment 121808

The flat top one looks like an old rectangular trampoline frame

Matt

Yeah i dont think the flat top carport will work once my floor is in i'll have no room to walk about

Hey Gazza, pity you aren't local to me as I have been meaning to pull down my greenhouse, it is about 19.5m x 9m out of 32mm steel galv pipe, possible a bit big for you,

Just a idea, if you after a good quality tarp that will last a long time and I don't mean those supposedly HD silver jobs from Bunnings/Supercheap have a look at these.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Extra-He...72.m2749.l2649
    They are twice as expensive but they last much, much better than all those others out there.

I bought one mid Sept last year, I was quite skeptical at first but it still looks almost new, normally within 5 months all the others I bought previously, would have frayed, been attacked by UV ect. falling apart, and would need replacing. This stuff also seems to lay down better. We have strong winds up here where I am, and this tarp doesn't flap around nearly as much as all the others. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I had to.

As for the pipe being 6.5m long you can always bend an arc for the top and put a couple of uprights to join to the top. I should point out that it will be a lot harder than you think especially to get repeatable bends. I think that my pipe is 2.5mm thick though. In the end I gave up using the 12T pipe bender for doing the bulk, and set about 4 deep wide concrete poles in the ground and used those to bend the tops, ended up using the pipe bender to do the final bend for the uprights. So my green house uses 2 x 6.5mm pipe for a single frame joined together by another piece of pipe one on each side and one on top, or using pipe fittings. I did put a thin strip of foam on the top of each pipe to strop the plastic rubbing through on the pipes and also insulate the plastic sheet from the hot metal in summer.

tarp longevity is also a factor o fhow its handled and used
    lots of bends creases repeated bending of the same spot flapping round in the wind all degrades them quicker