Thread: Composite flooring materials

Composite flooring materials

Folks, am about to begin another project boat.
    I did one many moons ago and plan another as a bit of a father son project and a way of getting the eldest a bit of seamanship rather than using my boat.
    Boat is a 2007 Quintrex 420 Dory WB so the low floor is already in.
    Plan is to change the layout some redo the forward casting deck and add a rear deck as well as possibly a rod locker.
    My question is, are there any composite materials other than thermolite and uniboard that i may be able to consider to use as the decking?
    I dont want to use alloy and am trying to keep away from timber.
    Both the Thermolite and uniboard are expensive, and my attempts to source some as seconds, which I have been able to do in the past, have not been successful.

Re: Composite flooring materials

You can use foam board but there are that many available i cant tell u which one to use

Woven roving has to be the bloody strongest cloth to use for reinforcing tho

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Some of these new composites are affected by heat and warp nothing beats a good bit of ply and epoxy it, drill your holes and epoxy them ,4.8 liter epoxy kit of 5to1 around $100+ and that will seal a lot of ply and if you go down this road on the sides seal them once and them do it again as the end grain soaks up the epoxy.

I am just about to redo the decking in my 4.1m tinny which I got secondhand. My plan is to fiberglass the flooring this time and as chris69 has mentioned any holes required you make larger and then use epoxy with some filler. I then use antifoul undercoat over the glass to seal it and glue the carpet down. It takes a little time and money but you won't need to replace the deck again. You do add a few more KG to your set up as I lay two layers of cloth. I have done a few decks like this and end up strong with no flexing and no water been sucked in. The deck in it now is starting to flex and it takes days for the water to drain out of the ply due to it never been sealed correctly. I get a fair amount water in my boat from throwing the castnet and the deck sucks the water up and stays wet all day.

If you are after foam core, give ATL composites a call on Phone: 07 5563 1222 (12-14 Production Ave, Molendinar. QLD. 4214. AUSTRALIA) and ask about Coosa Bluewater 26 & 20 or HCP90 or just tell them what you want it for and they may suggest other foam type, but I don't think that these foam sheets will be cheap though and you will need to glass them in both sides and edges, but they will provide good sound deadening as well as positive inflation.

Cheers

Ed.

You can also jump on facebook and look up "CCA Composite Boards" on facebook there is another group on facebook i think it may be "Coffs Coast Fibreglass Repairs" a fibreglasser that mostly uses all composite products for there boat rebuilds its a really good look thru all the projects heaps of jobs and pictures

Heres 2 to check out

Attachment 121800Attachment 121801

I know you said you didn't want ply but - I had 20 year old ply in my last tinnie - with no rot. It was only CD grade. Couple of caveats though. If you want it to last it needs to be stored out of the weather so it isn't getting constantly doused with rain water and the carpet needs to be removable. I took care of waterproofing with a good quality fencing oil - no prep - just re application every once in a while - just paint another coat over the surfaces that had worn. The underside of the centre section was never retreated after the day it was fitted as the console made removal impossible. If you want permanently glued in carpet however, disregard everything I said .

Thanks for all the words of wisdom guys. Although I am not on here like I once was, its still reassuring to know that there is an abundance of knowledge still freely available.
    After a bit of haggling, I've managed to get the price of some uniboard down to what I feel is an acceptable level. After taking into consideration the cost of marine ply, a suitable sealer and on going maintenance and possible future rot, spending a little extra, rather than a LOT extra was a no brainer for me.
    Cheers

Some places for marine ply are ruthless your talking in the few hundred bux a sheet in sydney even bunnings is a couple hundred

There are places out there with cheaper marine ply i picked up a sheet of 25mm for $136 the shop claimed it to be 11 ply it counted 9 ply including top and bottom verniers left it out in the rain for several days and hasnt delaminated appears to be good stuff

Check out this place i think its called MisterPly on google.. plywood cost more than Coosa/Thermolite Board

Attachment 121866

I think you will find 25mm thermolite dearer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cox76y View Post
    I think you will find 25mm thermolite dearer than that.
    Ah yeah i think your right Cox i keep recalling the $490 price vut keep forgetting it has a drop down i do think i recall seeing possibly the 25mm or 38mm for $800

I will have to check again

Yeah its $554, 25mm sheet must have been the 38mm for $800

https://trojanfibreglass.com.au/product/kay-cel-core/