Thread: Braid line advise

Braid line advise

I’m looking at buying some 50lb braid what is a good brand?

Re: Braid line advise

A lot depends on what you are using it for, Power Pro, Daiwa J4 or J8 are or the Shimano J4 and J8 braids are ok. Don't even think of using Prymal (not sure of the spelling - it's BCF's own brand). There 50 lb is way thicker than my 80 lb braid and as thick as my 50 lb leader. I couldn't get 250 m on a spool that had no problems with 65 lb Daiwa J4, took it off and now just using it as backing material, should have taken it back because I reckon if I put the micrometer over it, it would have come out significantly thicker than what's written on the packet.

I have used a few but my faves are Suffix or Fins..I mostly use a double Uni knot to join the braid to leader and have no problems with those brands..I spooled up some 80 pound power pro on a Tyrnos for reef fishing and found it would often snap at the knot... went back to suffix of fins and no dramas since....use them on barra outfits as well..As mentioned by Dignity I have some J8 on some jigging gear..seems ok but only used it a couple of times so far so jury is still out....avoid cheap shit..

Rovex d8 braid seems alright to me.
    As does fins.

Berkeley fireline is ok but not my favourite.

I have found some of the cheap braid on ebay to be ok, not going to be as good as the top braids but can be good value if you dont want to spend a lot.

I once bought a spool of 50lb rovex tergo from a bargin bin, its literally as thick as 50lb mono, i havent used it.

Power pro and I use uni knot to join leader never had a break .

Much along the lines of Dignity's reply - depends on what you are using it for. Most of the "name" brand products IMO are ok. I've used Berkley whiplash Pro, Fins, Power Pro, Platypus, Bionic and a few cheaper ones as well. I much prefer the genuine "braids" as against products that "fuse" the strands in a coating. Some are definitely better than others for casting on baitcasters in my experience. Others are better for deep water work due to smaller diameter.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If budget isn’t a concern, Tasline, Varivas Avani, and YGK are great braids. A couple of good budget ones are Sunline Siglon 8 and Nomad Pandora.
    Matilda

PE sunline, Diawa J braid both very good from my experience..

Thanks Ducksnutz, I've been weighing up the Sunline Sigion 8 and the Tasline, both at about PE1.7. Do you have a preference between the two? I will be deep dropping with it so want the thin diameter and am willing to lose a bit on the breaking strain as with a correctly set drag I think I can manage to still get the fish up. (I've found that with the 50lb & 80lb braids I'm getting too much line bow in the depth of water I'm fishing.)

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For offshore fishing I use Tasline predominately for casting up to PE2 and Varivas Avani Cast for PE3-8 casting and Varivas Avani power max PE3-8 for jigging/bottom bashing etc. I like the Tasline for its thin diameter hence why I use it on my smaller spin reels for maximum line capacity.

I use overhead reels for deeper water so the diameter isn’t as much an issue for me with most of my reels holding 400 odd metres of Braid in each PE rating.
    Matilda

suffix 832 on all my cod 30-50 pound outfits
    jbraid 8 strand on my 20 pound down to 8pound outfits

was using tasline but no one local stocks it and they dont go under 12 pound

have found myself fishing lighter and lighter as the years roll on lol

Good braid can mean so many different things - it depends on what is important to you & how deep your pockets are

Right now my two for offshore fishing are Nomad Pandora & Tasline ....... both are excellent & I cant fault them nor can I think of any other braid that I would use ahead of them - regardless of price.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I bought a 600m spool of WFT Strong braid in the 67Kg rating, it was supposed to be 0.39mm thickness, used a micrometer to measure the line it and it measured about the 0.5mm and approx +-0.05-0.015mm thickness, next tried to lift 37kg of weights of the floor using a pulley system connected to the braid, and the line would snap (not at the knots) without even lifting the weights off the floor (multiple tests), so much for it having a 67Kg rating, it is also a pretty stiff line but on a medium sized overhead that probably won't matter. Got a full refund on it back from the store. Won't be trying anymore line from WFT, I have tried several of their other Gliss lines and none have lived up to their advertised specifications.

One word - Tasline. It’s the best. I’ve tried them all. Well almost all of the good ones including the Japanese braids and I still reckon Tasline is the business