Thread: North Fraser island fishing trip

North Fraser island fishing trip

New time user to the forum and young fella getting stuck into it.
    first, wow this community is sick, thanks to all the members.
    the fam has just bought a nice 5.4 formosa with 140 suzuki ready to hook up on some biggens and heading to north end of fraser to stay at wathumba creek for a week next wednesday and wanting some advice on where to fish and what to target while we are up there! staying very close to platypus bay, im wondering if anyone knows are marks where fishing would be best at this time of year and also planning a trip over the breaksea spit? has anyone been there recently and what is the crossing like at the moment? whats best 2 miles, 4 mile crossing or is ir time of year to head around the tip? (weather please prevail) any good marks for break sea spit shaols or bombies?
    so looking forward to a nice trip now everything is settling with coronavirus.

thank again everybody
    happy fishing

Re: North Fraser island fishing trip

I've been there a few times and to be honest I wouldn't attempt crossing Breaksea unless with another vessel who knows the area for the first few times. I see Lucky Phill crossed at zero crossing recently but that needs calm seas, I've never been fortunate to get the tides and wind to coincide. Fuel is a consideration, 60km just from Urangan to Roonies for an anchorage then from there on too many options depending on weather.
    There are plenty of areas inside HB that will fish well as well. What is your range fuel wise.

The 13 mile is pretty good no matter what weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Silver Unicorn View Post
    The 13 mile is pretty good no matter what weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13/14 mile is the one I use, it us a fairly wide crossing and can be quite a washing machine at times especially for a 5.4m boat. And the odd whale in there at this time of year can make it quite hairy. Have had the buggers pop up in the most unlikely places.