Thread: Help with HDS 10 GEN 2

Help with HDS 10 GEN 2

Not sure if anyone has had this issue and I will try and explain the best I can.

So my HDS structure scan seems to only want to stay at 20m scan distance. The downscan also wont allow me to change the depth and reverts back to auto. When using the soft keys on the side scan page the auto is not highlighted and when I press the button the box gets the tick and then it goes blank again. When I try to increase or decrease the side scan distance it changes for a second and then reverts back to 20m. I have also tried changing the settings in the menu and same thing happens.

I can start the simulator and everything works fine and able to do everything it should. I have done a soft start and also hard start and has made no difference. It has been giving me a headache of late. I jumped in the boat this afternoon to save the waypoints before doing a reset and turned it on and it was working like it should with being able to adjust the range and then it changed back to 20m after a couple of minutes. So I went ahead and did a full reset.

I have googled the hell out of the issue and have not found anything. The sonar operations are all good and no issues and all other features are working as per the book.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Help with HDS 10 GEN 2

Theres so much in the new sounders these days if no one has a answer here ring lowrance but it sounds like something is set to that 20mts somewhere .

Yes I agree, ring or email the lowrance website tec help they helped me with my hds7 they know their product.

Thanks Gents. I sent a email off to them this morning and I will wait for a response.

Lowrance replied to my email this morning and asked for some more information and a couple of photos of the transducer set up which I passed onto them.

I started the unit up this morning and went to the side scan page and it came up with "no source found" which tells me the network had not pick up the transducer as the network light was not flashing. This was a little left wing as this was a new fault. Yesterday I removed the network cable from the HDS and the LSS2 module just to check there was no issues with the connection and found no issues. So I plugged it back in and started the unit up and same problem as before.

When I started it today and had the no source screen a light bulb turned on in my head as the only thing I had changed or played with yesterday was the network cable. So I had a spare and changed it over and everything is back working fine. This is only running it on the trailer but feel very confident I found the problem. It would seem the cable has a fault that sometimes works and then get a little movement and it plays up.

Anyway thought I would post up the findings and also mention Lowrance were quick to respond to my issue even tho found the fault myself it's good that they are available to help even on something as old as the HDS 10.

Ethernet network cables are fairly sensitive things, they can be easily damaged by bending them too sharply and the like.

I had one some years ago that got bent too much and was damaged, we got unbelievably bad interference on the VHF radio as a result.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....