Thread: Got visited by 5m+ great white pointer - not happy Jan!

Got visited by 5m+ great white pointer - not happy Jan!

Went deep-drop fishing with Tim off Moreton Island
    The current was N-S pushing us at 6-7kph which made it difficult - was running petrol and electric motors
    New reel was awesome - kicks arse on 24v with 5kg sinkers
    At midday found a nice show and reefed up a string of those green-eyed sharks
    The big single one from 650m is the one I am told more like flake - no I didn't keep it
    The winch is quiet, smooth and fast
    Anyway 1pm with no luck on blue-eye we found barcod - had one I'd say 10-15kg coming up from 350m sharked at 180m
    So I dropped some green-eyes with mullet frames zip tied over the side to get rid of the shark
    Next drop bigger barcod 20-25kg and winching flat out
    8m from the boat and 2m down it accelerated to the surface and out of water in the mouth of a 5m+ great white pointer shark
    Spectacular yes
    Impressed NOT!!!
    So I carried on like a pork chop
    Tim heard me swear like a nutter wishing I had a grenade
    I went home
    Took boat back to mechanics as it wouldn't idle
    In-out valve replaced $640
    Ella impressed - not
    Oh well
    I'm not giving upClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200704_092309_com.android.gallery3d.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	121735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200704_092451_com.android.gallery3d.jpg 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	121736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200704_092328_com.android.gallery3d.jpg 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	121737

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Got visited by 5m+ great white pointer - not happy Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Went deep-drop fishing with Tim off Moreton Island
    The current was N-S pushing us at 6-7kph which made it difficult - was running petrol and electric motors
    New reel was awesome - kicks arse on 24v with 5kg sinkers
    At midday found a nice show and reefed up a string of those green-eyed sharks
    The big single one from 650m is the one I am told more like flake - no I didn't keep it
    The winch is quiet, smooth and fast
    Anyway 1pm with no luck on blue-eye we found barcod - had one I'd say 10-15kg coming up from 350m sharked at 180m
    So I dropped some green-eyes with mullet frames zip tied over t he side to get rid of the shark
    Next drop bigger barcod 20-25kg and winching flat out
    8m from the boat and 2m down it accelerated to the surface and out of water in the mouth of a 5m+ great white pointer shark
    Spectacular yes
    Impressed NOT!!!
    So I carried on like a pork chop
    Tim heard me swear like a nutter wishing I had a grenade
    I went home
    Took boat back to mechanics as it wouldn't idle
    In-out valve replaced $640
    Ella impressed - not
    Oh well
    I'm not giving upClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200704_092309_com.android.gallery3d.jpg 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	121735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200704_092451_com.android.gallery3d.jpg 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	121736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200704_092328_com.android.gallery3d.jpg 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	121737

Just talking with a mate yesterday, he'd worked on a trawler for a while and green eyes were easily sold at the markets for flake.
    Did you end up with anything worth while, nice looking deep dropper what is it ,(sorry, haven't kept up to date lately)

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Just talking with a mate yesterday, he'd worked on a trawler for a while and green eyes were easily sold at the markets for flake.
    Did you end up with anything worth while, nice looking deep dropper what is it ,(sorry, haven't kept up to date lately)
    Hi Dignity
    Just took home bait mate
    It's hard to get excited about green-eyed shark when targeting barcod and blue-eye
    Maybe if I had a tribe of hungry people to feed.... Nah I guess I aim high and just miss out sometimes
    If I had neighbours that asked me to keep it for them then yeah but decades ago tried shark and the iodine - yuck
    Still have barcod and blue-eye in the freezer atm
    Very concerned though that wife is talking about buying swordfish when it runs out
    I like swordfish but prefer to spend the money going fishing

Cheers

Trev

Biggest thing I have found with shark is the prep. Needs to be gutted and trunked immediately (head,tail and all fins off) and then ice brined for at least 24 hours. I don't do it real often but I do rate the results.

That's a decent Green Eye if that's what it is, there's a few varieties with the spike on their back, Green Eyes have a pretty smooth skin, they are great eating, but I don't eat them, I don't knowingly eat any Shark.

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Hi Dignity
    Just took home bait mate
    It's hard to get excited about green-eyed shark when targeting barcod and blue-eye
    Maybe if I had a tribe of hungry people to feed.... Nah I guess I aim high and just miss out sometimes
    If I had neighbours that asked me to keep it for them then yeah but decades ago tried shark and the iodine - yuck
    Still have barcod and blue-eye in the freezer atm
    Very concerned though that wife is talking about buying swordfish when it runs out
    I like swordfish but prefer to spend the money going fishing

I am running out of fish myself but can't go fishing for at least another 3 weeks with my shoulders being the way they are, getting old sucks, or it could be trying to do things that I used to do 30 or 40 years ago doesn't work any more. Every time I'd visit my daughter I'd offer her fish and she complained her freezer is full, and now that I can't get out to get any she now wants me to bring her some

I forgot: I don't take shark either and yes that is one very fat green eye.

See you met Bruce, might actually be brucette..

20lt drum bit of wire and chain big hook bait and let it take the lot and follow it around then attach a line to the drum and tie it too the front of the boat and start the motor. put it in reverse just above an idle and see how long it tows you for want be long before you have it tiered out and along side the boat and theres your catch of the day.

P.S Nice set of jaws for the bar and some big fins to sell for fuel for the next few trips.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I am running out of fish myself but can't go fishing for at least another 3 weeks with my shoulders being the way they are, getting old sucks, or it could be trying to do things that I used to do 30 or 40 years ago doesn't work any more. Every time I'd visit my daughter I'd offer her fish and she complained her freezer is full, and now that I can't get out to get any she now wants me to bring her some

I forgot: I don't take shark either and yes that is one very fat green eye.
    want me to drop off some flatty fillets?

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    want me to drop off some flatty fillets?
    All good Funchy, got enough for a few more weeks. Might have to trade the tinnie up for a side console like yours, tiller steer is killing my shoulder.

Bruce, was 4 - 5 meters long, my boat is 2.48 meters wide, if you watch the video, you will see the dorsal under the keel, both head and tail extended well beyond the hull. it had to be at least 1-1.5 meters wide flat across the back all the way down to the tail. estimated weight was 400+ kg, great sight to see but doubt much gear could hold it.. might even sink your boat if you were not careful.

Regards
    Honda.

Hi Dignity have you tried an extension on the tiller handle works for me about $40 or make one from pvc pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by petelaska View Post
    Hi Dignity have you tried an extension on the tiller handle works for me about $40 or make one from pvc pipe.
    Have both actually. It's more to do with ergonomics. Hopefully get it sorted it the next month or so. Kind of dreading the thought of having a full harness just to even flick for flatties let alone snapper or red emperor.