Thread: Best sunglasses for fishing

Best sunglasses for fishing

I'm after some value for money proper fishing glasses to use fishing on my kayak, I'd like them also highest uv rating, I mainly fish estuaries around the Gold Coast, all help appreciated, also like them tough, cheers all

Sent from my SM-G977B using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Best sunglasses for fishing

Tonics glass models for toughness and way above average for clarity.
    Currently using Mako Green mirror lenses and find them very good too.
    Jack.

Spotters polarized photocromatic amder there good in all waters fresh estuary and ocean and I use prescription glass so there good for the UV, using them for over 10years now on my second pair so they last.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Tonics glass models for toughness and way above average for clarity.
    Currently using Mako Green mirror lenses and find them very good too.
    Agree with glass, especially if your not 20/20 . In estuaries yellow through to very light brown/rose or whatever that colour is called is best, offshore in blue water then your grey/blue is great. I do find Spotters better but then again there is a few pairs I've tried that I wasn't happy with. I could not find a pair of Tonics that I could say gave me great vision.
    I spent a lot of time going store to store, I would focus on something distant, put on the glasses and if there was a visible difference , discard them. Do not try them inside a store, go outside to check them.
    Things have changed now, I need to get prescriptions (borderline, although I still am allowed to drive without them, go figure. I got a pair of driving glasses).
    It really is a personal thing. I have found a lot of plastic frames and nose bridge (this is a very personal thing) was a real problem. Some of them are really tight and I find I get headaches from them and there is nothing I can do to fix them and optometrist aren't interested unless they are prescription lens.
    Try try and try until you are happy as they aren't cheap but can cause you lots of pain. there are a number of expensive sunnies I've donated as they caused me too much inconvenience over time.

Dignity that's why I've stayed with spotter just find a dealer give them your prescription,the last pair was $430 but that was a while ago,I can drive with mine at night thats the benefit of the photocromatic side of things.

One thing stands true - good quality sunglasses cost $$$

I've never been afraid to spend the dollars because it's your eyes that you are protecting.
    I'm still not convinced that there is a stand out brand but the two that I've hovered around for at least two decades having several pairs of each are the Spotters & Mako …. The Tonic's are no better or worst imo - Glass lenses for longevity . I believe all 3 are Aussie designed & owned.

There are some good quality glasses from overseas but I don't think that any of them I've owned (Costa del mar , Maui Jims , Smiths ) offer anything better other than style

I will say the best driving glasses I've owned were Serengeti's - spring tensioned hinges , light weight photochromic glass lenses …. looked great & crystal clear. Unfortunately someone else liked them too

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I’ve always used MAUI JIM

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums