Thread: Out of hibernation

Out of hibernation

Good day Guys

Finally decided to get on the water after quite a break due to surgery and am finding things are not like I left them lol

Batteries have died

All the fuel hose and fuel bulb are as hard as rock

Flares out of date

Anyone else decided to get ur boat out and found that a bit of tender care was needed??

I have questions

Where do you get good quality fuel hose with a squeeze bulb or just go to bcf and buy it there ?????

Are there any "good" priced marine pro 780 century batteries to be had around the Brisbane area????

I had replaced the impeller 1 year ago, should I replace it again because I haven't really used my boat ???

Thanks in advance for comments
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Out of hibernation

Try

Brisbane Marine Pty Ltd
    306 Duffield Road, Clontarf, Queensland, 4019

they should have all the bits you need and can do your mech. repairs as well.

As for the impeller, most people will say you should replace your impeller yearly, having said that I have had outboards where I didn't change it for several years and it worked fine, however that is your call. Ask the the guys there, explain the situation and see what they say.

Regarding the battery, on my boats I just use a big AGM battery and never had dramas.
    Brisbane Marine will also have hoses but you can also try:

Queensland House of Hose
    4/15 Cessna Drive,
    Caboolture Qld 4510

Phone: 07 5499 3500
    Cheers

Ed.

Give BCF a miss and buy a genuine fuel bulb, they are way better than after market ones, fuel line, buy quality marine type, batteries, just buy the brand you want, water pump, I like genuine parts, buy a complete kit, not just the impeller.

Century batteries are made in Brisbane....but do not buy direct from Century, they will rip you off. Instead go to supercheap and buy the century battery......MASSIVELY cheaper for the same battery.
    Jack.

Can i suggest grabbing a spare bulb and some fuel hose while you are there..?

I have had holes/ cracks in both over the years...duct tape/electrical tape might get you home with fuel line but a crack in your primer bulb is harder to get around..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Can i suggest grabbing a spare bulb and some fuel hose while you are there..?

I have had holes/ cracks in both over the years...duct tape/electrical tape might get you home with fuel line but a crack in your primer bulb is harder to get around..
    Do NOT buy a no name fuel line and bulb from Supercheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Do NOT buy a no name fuel line and bulb from Supercheap!
    Yep.. agreed..!

Recently refitted my whole fuel system on my 6 month old Chinese boat...

Didn't trust it so pulled up the floor and forked out for good quality hose and clamps from a shipyard rather then whitworths...

Firstly I did get a guy who did the fuel setup to make me a short hose to go from a fuel tank to the motor as a spare so I covered that bit, I have never used it but it is nice to know it is there. I think I will visit a proper hose place etc and I didn't really want to go with one of the retail boat shops as "usually" it is about selling cheap items rather than spending more for quality. Thanks for the input guys, I love the fourum as you get a range of ideas and experience from those who have been there done that lol

cheers

Gaz
    Cheers Garry

Going to a decent boat shop is the way to go, not the supermarket sort of places, even if you have to order a genuine part it's worth it, I have found almost any of the brand name fuel lines are good, most boat shops also sell decent fuel line by the metre.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Going to a decent boat shop is the way to go, not the supermarket sort of places, even if you have to order a genuine part it's worth it, I have found almost any of the brand name fuel lines are good, most boat shops also sell decent fuel line by the metre.
    I can vouch for Noelm and Disorderly's advice. I recently had the entire fuel line and bulb system replaced on my 5 year old alloy boat. It seems that there were some no name "Chinese" products including dodgy hose and fittings around 5 years ago and a number of local boats have had similar problems. You will see my issues on another thread "Should I replace this fuel hose?" However, I am grateful that the boat builder was able to replace the system from tank to motor without having to open the floor and cut into the transom. Also backs his workmanship by not charging his clients for the replacement. SS

Well when I built my boat I got Dunlop fuel hose and it went hard in around the 5-6 year mark and have not long ago replaced from the fuel filter to primer to the motors again, think its just the fuel and old age doing it, everything ain't what it use to be.

I have had the boat out in the sun rather than in the main house carport, where it lives a luxurious life...... and the rubber has come back soft and the bulb is soft as well too. I can't see any cracks etc but I check it again before the boat hits the water. Amazing half a day in the sun and it is all better.
    Cheers Garry

That’s good but I’d still grab a quality spare hose and bulb to keep in the boat.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums