Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powering a boat winch

Powering a boat winch

Hi guys
    i have a 3000lb electric winch on my trailer pulling my quintrex 4.8 m Top ender With 70 hp motor..
    my question is will a portable battery jump start pack provide enough current to pull the boat on the trailer?
    the winch uses the following Amps
    1000lb 40amps
    2000 lb 90amps
    300lb 145amps

thanks

Re: Powering a boat winch

Sporty did i read that right 3.8m with a 70hp engine? That thing must friggen fly!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Seeing a few guys around these days with a 18v rattle gun to wind the winches......
    I doubt you will get much life out of a jump start pack....they are designed to supplement your flat battery, relying on the house battery for the depth of current draw rather than the starter pack.
    Jack.

70hp on back of a 3.8? It must not have too much freeboard left at the transon. Anyway those jump start batteries will supply the current but it may not have enough capacity to keep it up for the duration of a winch. By the way I have a 3000lb winch pulling up a 5m Quintrex with a 70 on the back and the winch only draws 50 Amps at the max. Those winchs only draw the current they need to pull the load.

Going to assume you meant 4.8 with a 70....can’t see why anyone would need a power winch for a 3.8m, let alone get away with a 70hp on it, those jump packs aren’t a battery, more like a capacitor, large amount of power for a short time, easiest way is an anderson plug at the rear of your car and make sure the car’s running whenever you use it

I have a 4.9 quinny with a 75hp n friggin thing only has the prop in the water at near full throttle lol.
    Mate you can buy yourself one of these 3000 to 4500lb X remote winches if not less n your boat will fly on the trailer.
    $149 aprox off ebay with free delivery.
    I have the 4500lb n best purchase ive ever spent on my boat.

There are two kinds of battery jump starter packs when i first read this thread i assumed it was the old style pack handle in middle with a aligator clamp on either side, i have pulled one of these apart before they are rubbish the batteries from memory are only 20Ah and tiny chinese cheap batteries

You could go to hobby king buy some big 5,000-10,000mah 3cell lipo packs run a few packs parallel and put a low voltage alarm buzzer on the cells so u know when it needs charging

Oops 4.85 Quintrex topender

It won't fly up the trailer as those thing are geared down really low, it will however get pulled up the trailer quite easily and a bit quicker so will drain less amps out of the battery. I used to have one of those 4000-4500Kg winches on a trailer to pull up my 2.5T 26ft GRP. boat.

You might be able to use a high quality jetski battery to power it those batteries are tiny and about 25-30ah

Plenty of large 12V car batteries around from $80-150 (new and used) that will work. After you come home from fishing trip just charge them up and good to go next time.

Ausfish Platinum Member

As someone else said, just run a decent size feed, 10mm2, to the back through a 50a andersen plug (assuming you have a 4wd, not a sedan, you didn't say) Any winch will have quite a low draw pulling a littley like that onto a trailer--you are rolling it on, not lifting off the ground I'd be surprised if the actual load on the winch is more than 500lb pulll required.

I was a bit too brief with my original post, so I’ll elaborate further. I have VW Touareg diesel and apparently with the battery situated under the front passenger seat it is a bugger to self fit another wiring to fit a rear Anderson plug? The rear cargo area of the touareg has a 12v Cig plug but I doubt this has enough amp rating to plug a Jaycar Anderson plug adaptor to and use the winch? Soi was looking at easier solutions.
    i realise the pull weight of a 4.84 topender with 70hp yammie light is not a lot but a 61 yo with dodgy shoulders is looking for a pain free way of retrieving the boat.

Ausfish Platinum Member

yes, do not use a cigarette lighter adaptor. While they normally state they are good for up to 10 amps, most I've seen will overheat before that. If the fitting of an supply to the back is too hard, it may be simpler, as someone else suggested above, to buy a smallish car battery, something around maybe 600a CCA (?), and just sit it in the boot, to connect to the winch by whatever means are convenient. You'd just top the charge up between uses, would get multiple retreives from a single charge.

That's what I used to do, battery in the back with some large Anderson plugs connected to the battery terminals and also to the end of the winch cables and then just switch on and operate from the remote that usually comes with the winch. Simple! Definitely don't go through the Cig lighter plugs.