Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Qld covid border closures

Re: Qld covid border closures

I bet every state in Australia currently has hundreds of carriers on the loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I bet every state in Australia currently has hundreds of carriers on the loose.
    I’m up here in Cairns on the way to Cooktown and I can tell you from first hand experience and talking to locals they are worried about transmission from down south of the border , it’s extremely sad to see how little is actually open and so many for lease signs up in what where once healthy tourist based businesses. I have been here a number of times and tourism is in a bad state of affairs up here , and that if it spreads up here . The worry is real .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    How about they stay where they are and do something useful to help in the crisis rather than play grabarse...

Close the border tho definitely.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    when we are all in lock down, having them in a bubble and playing on the Tele is going to do a lot for other people’s sanity. I look forward to the games every week. And if there’s one thing we can all agree on is that NRL referees are shit and and that brings people together even if remotely.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Lol, yeah....Bread and Circuses while the empire falls (and now toilet paper).

Not to do with border closures but certainly to do with a lessons for Aus as a result of covid.

In 2010, the then Govt introduced the NBN (National Broadband Network) based on fibre optic cable to the residence. High capacity/high speed. "Data arrives at destination before u even send it" type of hype.

In 2013, the new Govt decided to cut the NBN costs back by only running optic fibre to the nearest Telstra "pillar box". A pillar box is the name given to a Telstra box on a footpath on which ALL Telstra copper wires from underground cables are connected.

The Telstra lineman could "cross-connect" different terminals within the box by using "jumper leads" to get different lines to go in different directions out from that box.

There were a number of "cross-connection" boxes in the network. Pillars and cabinets on the streets and within the exchange were huge multipoint distribution frames (MDFs) with similar cross connection abilities with "jumpers" so that ANY telephone number within the exchange could be connected to ANY house by simply using these cross-connecting facilities spread around the city streets.

The longstanding name "pillar" (the last interconnecting box before the house) was thrown out and a new word was introduced. The pillar became a "Node" and the catch phrase became "Fibre to the Node".

So we had a fibre optic cable system capable of high speed/high capacity operation..............but only to the node/pillar.

That's like firemen using a 4 inch fire hose from the hydrant and with the last 10 m being normal 1/2 inch garden hose. THAT'LL get the same job done cheaper 'cos that 4 inch hose costs a lot more than garden hose, ya know!

Great thinking, Sol.

After that, the cable to the residence was the old Telstra twisted pair of copper wires which WASN'T capable of high speed/high capacity operation.

But it was cheaper and thus much better (according to the then Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull who claimed that he knew best).

Businesses not in residential areas were happy 'cos they had fibre cable and not "fibre to the node". They were "looked after".

Enter Covid.

Now stacks of employees had to do their work FROM THEIR HOME on Malcolm's rats...t node system.

The result? Normal residential use of the internet collapsed due to congestion by businesses employees now also using the old Telstra twisted pair of copper wires to work from home.

In suburbs of regional cities, use of the internet between 8am and 5pm has become very very difficult.

Great thinking Malcolm.

Just like the short-sightedness of providers of mobile phone services, look after businesses and don't even consider that the general community might like to have a reliable service for safety purposes in times of disaster. Flood, cyclone, fire etc. THAT'S when the mobile phone system collapses from congestion caused by inadequate capacity.

THAT was certainly evident in the recent bushfires where mobile phone base stations failed either by being burnt out (not much you can do when that happens) or their power and back-up generator systems failed (or weren't provided).

With the NBN network, no power for the phone comes down the telephone wires any more. The telephone exchange used to send 48 volts down the copper wire system so the phone was independent of power outages.

Under Malcolm's much better flashes of brilliance, lose mains power now and the phone doesn't work. Bugger.

But we've ALL got mobile phones as backup! Most maybe (not all) but they're useless in regional areas anyway 'cos the mobile phone system goes into overload/congestion due to insufficient capacity.

I think Malcolm must have been a consultant for all of these providers.

Obviously that Govt plan of 2013 was flawed and the community has been paying the social price of a second rate NBN service (at great cost). Thank you Malcolm and the liberal govt.

Covid has clearly exposed that flaw.

Now PM Morrison has a brilliant idea. Extend the NBN by doing away with that idea of the cheaper "fibre to the node". THAT was Malcolm's silly idea anyway.

NOW we'll run fibre to the residences of those users who've had to put up with Malcom's silly idea of using the old copper wires. Back to the original plan!

We only agreed with Malcolm 'cos we always intended to come back and run fibre to the residence. Cross our little hearts we did. Wash ya mouth out with soap for even thinking that we didn't.

One wouldn't be dead for quids with all this going on, would one?

Aus certainly is "the smart country".

Fibre to the residence is not just a 5min job, every house will have to have lines run, which means digging, across/through lawns, driveways, drains and fences, it was always rather "ambitious" to think it could be done, down my way, there was only (maybe) 3 areas that got fibre to the residence, the rest of us just got the leftover crumbs.

U're right about that. Same crumbs here. We've got about 800m of copper cable so can probably think ourselves lucky that ANY data at all dibbles out of the end let alone spurts out.

But its a "shovel-ready" long term infrastructure project that will provide lots of jobs thus assisting in the economic recovery. Aus needs those projects.

The f/o cable will be replace the existing old copper cables in the existing underground conduits up to the residence entry point (usually pits) outside the property. If the resident wants f/o in from the pit then I'd say they'd have to do it themselves and THAT'S where they'd run into trouble with fences, sewerage lines etc (on the property).

Ronje, in this one you are a tool. There was nothing stopping you upgrading to fibre from the node to the house on your own dime. Why should the rest of the country pay for that when fibre to the node was plenty fast for the majority of Australians (at the time).

also you’re conveniently forgetting the bullshit forecasting that Labour did on the coatings. First it was a 20bn project. Then quickly 50bn. Even when Malcom cut it back it still cost more than that.

BTW your analogy of the fire house is completely wrong.

Everyone was warned in the 80s that the sale of Telecom would mean the end of guaranteed and equitable access to telecommunications. Reap what you sow.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

also you’re conveniently forgetting the bullshit forecasting that Labour did on the coatings. First it was a 20bn project. Then quickly 50bn. Even when Malcom cut it back it still cost more than that.

Not conveniently forgetting anything. ALL of the costings were b/s. Labour's original grand plan was indeed way under estimate. AND Malcom's grand change made sure that it wasn't going to work properly.

All residences had to change over to the NBN (to recover costs). No option.

There was nothing stopping you upgrading to fibre from the node to the house on your own dime

How (even if you wanted to)?

Lovey, the node is NOT the pit outside yr house 10 or 20m away.

The node is the Telstra pillar box about a metre or so high 800m away (in our case. Further or less with others) on a nearby main connecting road. It sits beside a large concrete lid which covers the associated underground cable connecting conduit. From THAT pillar box, the cables run out in underground conduits to distribution boxes at the ends of streets.

From those distribution boxes, the cables (still in underground conduits) run down the street to little concrete pits (about a foot square) on the footpath outside each house. Then that cable (your cable) goes from the footpath pit to your house's entry point. You can replace that little bit with fibre optic cable if you want to.

That won't do you any good though 'cos the preceding 800m of copper cable back to the pillar/cabinet box is where the signal transmission losses are.

I think that little pit on the footpath outside your house is what you believe is the much quoted node and that fibre optic runs right to that point just outside your house.

Its not and NBN's fibre optic cable is a long long way from your house under the fibre to the node arrangement.

So how do you propose people privately run f/o cable from a pillar box (owned by Telstra, locked and a criminal offence to interfere with) 800m away across roads, gutters, creeks, footpaths, driveways etc. owned by Council? Just lay it out on the ground? Sling it up on poles that you erect all over the place?

Alternatively, I'm sure that telstra, gas, water or electricity suppliers wouldn't even entertain the thought of allowing everybody to put fibre-optic cables in their existing underground conduits.

I was happy with what I had before either of the expensive grand plans.
    Mainly I didn't want to lose the phone when the power went off 'cos I knew that's what the result was if the NBN's fibre-optic network was introduced with or without Malcom's bit of adventurism.

You can't run power for the phone over a cable which has no metallic conductors inside and fibre optic cable has no metallic conductors inside.

The NBN with fibre to the node has meant absolutley no change in capacity/speed for me. All its done is made the telephone not work if the power goes off (which it does here with floods, fires and cyclones).

I don't need extra anything, Lovey. Just want the bloody thing to at least work enough to use. Malcom's r/sh.t idea put paid to that as covid has clearly demonstrated.

I'm happy if they left it alone. Its a good idea to create some infrastructure projects providing employment for some poor buggers who need it though.

Be even better if that infrastructure was dams or power stations which are much more useful to the communities and business (and provide more jobs) than a mickey mouse yuppie system which allows computers/electronic devices to talk to each other.

Lovey,

Misinformation coming out of any projects of govts of any persuasion is par for the course these days. NBN information has been s shambles since it was thought of. It became more of a shambles when Malcolm Turnbull intervened.

The diagram below, depicts what's called fibre-to-the-node (FTTN). Fibre to a street pillar box and then old telstra copper cable to the house.

The image below depicts fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP). The fibre optic cable runs all the way to the premises via the little concrete pit outside your house.

That last section from the pillarbox to the house is what Malcom changed and in doing that crippled the performance of the NBN in most regional residential areas.

Don'tcha just love all these acronyms that people throw around? They must know what they're talking about if they're using industry acronyms/jargon to describe this highly technical subject!

The image above is one of these "nodes" where the fibre-optic cable finishes. All the way down that street is serviced by lower quality old telstra copper cables distributed out of the cable pit next to the footpath concrete path. So the performance of the NBN from that pillar box is diminished the further down the street that you live.

The large box at the front (the one with the grafitti), is the fibre-optic interface box.

The small round box in the background (the one with the lean) is one of those pillar cabinets I was talking about. It distributes the underground cables down the street in the background.

On the ground beside it is one of those square concrete lids that covers the hole where the cables all terminate and are further distributed down the street in the background.

The next image below is one of those concrete footpath cable pits outside residences that I was talking about. Full of old telstra copper cables and joins.

Like a old corroded spaghetti junction of wiring connections eh?

THOSE types of pits with those old corroded mares' nests of wiring and joins are typical of what's inside. And this is the "technology" that underpinned Malcolm's bright idea of "fibre-to-the-node".

How do you think your extremely fast fibre-optic data signals fare after having to go through messes like these before getting to your house.

When it rains (or the neighbour puts the sprinkler on the footpath) the pits get full of water. That'd make things work better!

The one in the photo looks like its been underwater quite recently.

When its dry, the pits get full of ants which build nests chock-a-block over everything. ( Nice cool dry safe place). THAT makes it work better too. Ant venom contains form acid and they also produce carboxylic acid. Both in great abundance if a telstra cable pit full of ants also gets some water in it.

And there you have it. "Fibre - to - the - Node"

I don't think that you're a tool Lovey.

Ya got a plan on how a person living 800m away down that street might get his own private fibre-optic cables to his residence? The ones he spent HIS dimes on. Running it from tree to tree through the branches might be worth exploring. There's also the odd electricity pole that might be useful.

Fibre-optic utility box on a FTTP (premises) installation.

I know how it works Ronje, I had the same issues as you had when ours was converted to NBN because the copper cables had issues. They got fixed and the house has regular 25Mb/s speeds which is enough for 3 TV’s to be streaming Netflix at the same time.

You could have rang NBN in the early phase, and I believe still can now, and paid for the node to the premises to be made fibre optic. if you got your whole street to agree it would have been cheaper.

We were all sold this amazing tech for 20bn by politicians. Even after a massive chunk was cut out of the infrastructure it was still north of 50bn. This was one of the few things Malcom got right and what this government is wrong on. FTTP is likely to be superseded by 5G before it’s completed. Why would we spend another 5-10-40bn dollars when 5G could provide 3-10Gbit/s speeds?

it’s madness.

Seen a victorian driver in sydney this afternoon i had my windows down and he pulled in from of me all it would have takin is a sneeze while driving than suck strait into my car

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

They only put 5G where the money is and as the frequency increases, range and coverage decreases. FTTH would always have been the grown up option.
    Besides, it gives you Covid....and Syphillis.
    Wouldn't want that again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    They only put 5G where the money is and as the frequency increases, range and coverage decreases. FTTH would always have been the grown up option.
    Besides, it gives you Covid....and Syphillis.
    Wouldn't want that again.

Again? LOL

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app